Campfire Regular
B
“Charlie don’t surf”…

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
pretty good to watch now and then. more than a tad overdone but not as bad as the crap that has come out in the last 20 years. martin sheens voice (or his brothers) narrating gave it a nice touch.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
It's an absurd fest of the worst of Hollywood excess. Copolla was a spoiled fool at that point and the movie is a string of gross self indulgences one after the other. Most beer swiling dolts remember the dumb macho-bravado flight of the valkyries/napalm-in-the-morning scene with patriotic sentiment, but the rest of the movie, they don't even get it. Brando agreed to do one month of "work" on the film for $2 million and 10% of some royalties (which worked out to $9 million). In today's dollars, that's 43 million. They couldn't even film him except in shadows because he was massively overweight. There was no room in the plot for a 350 pound Colonel Kurtz with type II diabetes. He certainly didn't earn 43 million dollars for his acting in the movie. Coppola downplayed Brando's weight by dressing him in black, photographing only his face, and having another, taller actor double for him. The whole mystical shroud around Kurtz's character is basically because $43 million was only enough to get Brando on the set, not to give a flip about making the movie.

Brando wasn't the only catastrophic disaster in making that movie. Hurricane Olga destroyed the sets and they had to be rebuilt. Martin Sheen, who was like the 47th choice to play Willard suffered a heart attack during production and his brother had to fill in to do the voice overs. I'm not criticizing the film for these unfortunate disasters, but they did exacerbate the prodigious budget overruns.

Repeatedly, the film went way over the budget only to have Copolla invest more of his own money to save it. Copolla himself is said to have described it this way: "We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane"

When I see it, I just see gross self-indulgence for no good cause. The film doesn't say anything meaningful about Vietnam -- it was never about Vietnam -- and it doesn't contribute anything artistically. It's not art. It's just a bunch of rich ass hats displaying their ineptitude and jerking themselves off by stroking their egos. If you want to watch a couple of fat fcuk Hollywood [bleep] spluge all over themselves, watch Apocalypse Now. There's even several versions because they think their chits artistic Cannes film crap that people will keep paying more money for them to reissue.

Pretty much sums up what I think of Brando. Always thought he was an overrated hack.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/16/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
In fact MSGT Davis, an instructor in my ROTC Brigade said that in his experience, Platoon was a lot closer than Apocalypse Now, but he caveated that with the fact that he wasn't in Special Forces. He was in the 1st Cav. though.

The Vietnam Vets I knew and know said the same. That Platoon was the closest to the real deal.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How the hell did Martin Sheen have a heart attack at 36?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by copperking81
How the hell did Martin Sheen have a heart attack at 36?

I’m guessing Coke. Like Father Like Son.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
about six months ago (I think) I stumbled across a link to the entire audio (dialogue and all) while searching for contributions to the Friday music thread...
I have seen it enough times that I could picture everything in my head while listening...
kind of like radio hour...
it is one of the few movies that can stand up to that test, in my humble opinion...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's an absurd fest of the worst of Hollywood excess. Copolla was a spoiled fool at that point and the movie is a string of gross self indulgences one after the other. Most beer swiling dolts remember the dumb macho-bravado flight of the valkyries/napalm-in-the-morning scene with patriotic sentiment, but the rest of the movie, they don't even get it. Brando agreed to do one month of "work" on the film for $2 million and 10% of some royalties (which worked out to $9 million). In today's dollars, that's 43 million. They couldn't even film him except in shadows because he was massively overweight. There was no room in the plot for a 350 pound Colonel Kurtz with type II diabetes. He certainly didn't earn 43 million dollars for his acting in the movie. Coppola downplayed Brando's weight by dressing him in black, photographing only his face, and having another, taller actor double for him. The whole mystical shroud around Kurtz's character is basically because $43 million was only enough to get Brando on the set, not to give a flip about making the movie.

Brando wasn't the only catastrophic disaster in making that movie. Hurricane Olga destroyed the sets and they had to be rebuilt. Martin Sheen, who was like the 47th choice to play Willard suffered a heart attack during production and his brother had to fill in to do the voice overs. I'm not criticizing the film for these unfortunate disasters, but they did exacerbate the prodigious budget overruns.

Repeatedly, the film went way over the budget only to have Copolla invest more of his own money to save it. Copolla himself is said to have described it this way: "We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane"

When I see it, I just see gross self-indulgence for no good cause. The film doesn't say anything meaningful about Vietnam -- it was never about Vietnam -- and it doesn't contribute anything artistically. It's not art. It's just a bunch of rich ass hats displaying their ineptitude and jerking themselves off by stroking their egos. If you want to watch a couple of fat fcuk Hollywood [bleep] spluge all over themselves, watch Apocalypse Now. There's even several versions because they think their chits artistic Cannes film crap that people will keep paying more money for them to reissue.

Born in '51.
Lets just say that a number of movies, (quite a few watched during an altered state of consciousness) had different emotional effects.
Most do not have the impact now that they did at the time, as everything was new back then.

In an absolutely random order......

Easy Rider
Aldous Huxley's "The Devils"
A Clockwork Orange,
The Deer Hunter,
Once Upon a time in the West
Billy Jack
Deliverance
Tommy
Jesus Christ Superstar
Thief
Dr. Strangelove
Dr Zhivago
Last Tango in Paris
Cool Hand Luke
The Godfather
Midnight Cowboy
The Point
Taxi Driver
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (read the book first along with The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test )
Little Big Man
Three Days of the Condor
Papillion
Straw Dogs

could go on and on but methinks I'll do that a bit later once I'm wrapped in the arms of Bacchus

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by geedubya

Born in '51.
Lets just say that a number of movies, (quite a few watched during an altered state of consciousness) had different emotional effects.
Most do not have the impact now that they did at the time, as everything was new back then.

In an absolutely random order......

Easy Rider
Aldous Huxley's "The Devils"
A Clockwork Orange,
The Deer Hunter,
Once Upon a time in the West
Billy Jack
Deliverance
Tommy
Jesus Christ Superstar
Thief
Dr. Strangelove
Dr Zhivago
Last Tango in Paris
Cool Hand Luke
The Godfather
Midnight Cowboy
The Point
Taxi Driver
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (read the book first along with The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test )
Little Big Man
Three Days of the Condor
Papillion
Straw Dogs

could go on and on but methinks I'll do that a bit later once I'm wrapped in the arms of Bacchus

ya!

GWB

How could you leave out Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Apocalypse Now was rather bizarre. Platoon had elements of the real deal at times. YMMV

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best scene in the whole movie is the Do Lung Bridge scene.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Just finishing up watching this movie for the umpteenth time. The surreal weirdness of this movie has always captivated me for some reason. Anyone else here likes or hates this flick ?

You need to watch the documentary on the making of Apocalypse. Call Heart of Darkness. Might be more interesting than the movie.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never cared for the movie. Also thought it was way overdone and it just didn’t strike me as “real”

Didn’t love platoon much either.

Full Metal Jacket is the best war movie ever made. The only one that might share that title is saving private Ryan

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Never cared for the movie. Also thought it was way overdone and it just didn’t strike me as “real”

Didn’t love platoon much either.

Full Metal Jacket is the best war movie ever made. The only one that might share that title is saving private Ryan
IIRC, Apocalypse Now was the most expensive movie ever made at the time. $32 mil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep

See the Documentary and you'll see why!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You are correct, it was never about Vietnam. It was an modern adaptation of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Brando showed up never having read the scrip, or Conrad's classic novel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Yep

See the Documentary and you'll see why!!
If you're speaking to me, I've seen the documentary, as implied by my post earlier in this thread, where I cited it with its actual name.

The movie certainly was about the Vietnam War. Conrad's novel about the Congo was re-worked to fit into America's Vietnam War experience. At the time, very few movies had been made about the war. The Deer Hunter, another movie which wasn't a very broad slice of the war, Coming Home, an anti-war hippie fest with Jane F u c k i n g Fonda, The Boys in Company C and Go Tell the Spartans which was about advisors very early in the war. Both Platoon and FMJ came about five or six years later with Purple Hearts, in between.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought that the casting of Martin Sheen as the SF/CIA assassin was completely unbelievable. He did not look physically whatsoever like he'd gone through Special Forces training. No muscle mass or definition and appeared (to me) he'd not be able to march a ¼ mile with a heavy ruck, or fight his way out of a paper bag. I've known several vets who were S.F., SEALs, Force Recon, etc., and they were very fit with defined muscles. The physical training that "special operators" go through, Special Forces, SEALs, Rangers, Force Recon, Parajumpers, etc., requires very physically fir young men. Sheen did not fill the bill at all.

As for Platoon, Oliver Stone, who wrote and directed Platoon, is a Vietnam vet. Two tours, 25th Inf. Div. LRRP. Purple Heart, Bronze Star with V., and then in the 1st Cav. Another Purple Heart. Aside from some "movie literary license," I thought Stone made a very good Vietnam movie.

My opinion.

L.W,

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So what if I don't know what 'Apocalypse' means?

It's not the end of the world!

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a fan. Thought it was great. Seems to me I recall it was based on a true story of a major that went rogue.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.