Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's been bantered a bit here before, but curious who's using Starlink and how is the service as of 7/21? Got the email today indicating that our kit is inbound.
Musk's recent comments stating that he needs $30 billion to see Starlink succeed don't instill much confidence. Until then we were pretty hopeful. It's no secret that Musk has a habit of inserting his foot in his mouth with his brutal honesty or opinions.

Curious if we need to put that 'middle finger' call to Hughesnet on hold.....thoughts? Current experiences?

A
Campfire Member
Online Sad
Campfire Member
A
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been on the list since they started taking orders. Still says late 2021.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My IT guy has used starlink on a project, and claims the speed is unreal. I’ll be using it on a project next year. Should be enlightening.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not going to be available to us for awhile. I've actually signed up for Pacific Dataport which should be available this fall. The satellites are on a N-S orbit and cover polar regions and high latitudes better

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds encouraging. I hope the speeds don't go down the crapper when millions of people are sharing the service.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LoadClear

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Sounds encouraging. I hope the speeds don't go down the crapper when millions of people are sharing the service.

I've read that Musk is committed to capping the service before he lets overuse or 'oversold' become a problem.
Those of us with Hughesnet know just how bad it can get when a company goes the 'profit over quality' route. Brutal.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.

Nope. The comment was made about transoceanic cables. Undersea fibers do not use repeaters. They use EDFA's without any latency

Also, long haul terrestrial fiber is also amplified with EDFA's, still no latency added.

Last edited by LoadClear; 07/16/21.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Adds to space junk. Doesn't make Astronomers happy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Easily the gayest form of internet.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only for the china elites.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Starlink? Is that the future Skynet and is Arnold going to be visiting us soon?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quite awhile back I signed up on email to Starlink, said they'd let me know when it was available here so I could sign up. Never heard a peep. Saw on social media folks around me talking about how good it was. Looked at it again and had to pay up front for it, even though I couldn't get it yet. I said fugk you.

I am rethinking my position. Hughsnet isn't fit to lick the dogchidt off my boots. Lying corksuckers. I cannot wait until I can can dump them in favor of something better.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Quite awhile back I signed up on email to Starlink, said they'd let me know when it was available here so I could sign up. Never heard a peep. Saw on social media folks around me talking about how good it was. Looked at it again and had to pay up front for it, even though I couldn't get it yet. I said fugk you.

I am rethinking my position. Hughsnet isn't fit to lick the dogchidt off my boots. Lying corksuckers. I cannot wait until I can can dump them in favor of something better.

Up ya’lls way, do cell companies offer Fixed cell service?

Mount an antenna and use cellular service for internet.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I heard they have internet on computers now

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Up ya’lls way, do cell companies offer Fixed cell service?

Mount an antenna and use cellular service for internet.

If I were in a spot that had cell coverage I could do that and make my phone a hotspot. But I have basically no cell coverage at home, so an antennae isn't doing schist for me. I'm a slave to the satellite masters. Cell coverage is shidt anyways no matter where you are most the time now because the shidt eating tourons eat up all the coverage and the towers can't keep up.

I honestly have a copper landline and it is the only way to get me at home, outside of email or an internet served messaging service.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's only a $99 deposit to get on the Starlink list and it's refundable if you get tired of waiting. Think they're trying to sift out the tire kickers.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.