Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I haven't shot a buck since 2012, and any pics from those days or before lurk in someone else's files. I have been shooting does and pigs since then and I'm not a camera bug for those.

My comment about the 30 minutes isn't about selling 56mm Euro scopes either. It's about me probably having more trim 1.5-5x20 format scopes than the 6x42 and 3.5-10x40 ones I mostly use.
I've never once missed a shot opportunity with one of my 20mm scopes under our sunrise to sunset regs. In fact, often on my way out of the woods well after legal hours have ended, I've scoped deer I could still have easily shot.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I have the right to make fun of friends forever regardless, so I can’t see alpha optics helping any there.

When I’m field judging, eyelashes always play a big role in whether I pull the trigger or not.

You ever seen a mount with short eyelashes? They’re hideous.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM
Is the private a buddies, or high dollar ground?

Any thoughts on running better glass if hunting public land vs. private land ?

🦫

SLM, it could be either...A guy could be hunting with a pard, on private land, and have a friendly “Who kills the best animal, wins rights to make fun of the other forever.

Or, a big money, private land hunt, where seeing the eyelashes may help a hunter decide whether to take the shot or pass, even over the encouragement of the guide saying.....That’s a shooter !

🦫

Right !,,,,,Who doesn’t love a long, sexy, pair of eye curtains on a mount.

#MountsMatterInBillingsMT

😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have been in spots and situations on my lease where my 20mm had me wishing for my 6x42. Otherwise I'd have more of the small ones because I like the way they handle on a rifle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Beav’, I think it also depends on where you’re hunting.

In state, local, a guy can get by with marginal optics. If he/she is on an out of state hunt, alpha optics are a must.

If you’re local and blow an opportunity at an animal of a life time, all is good, but if it’s an out of state hunt, purgatory.

Absolutely, agree.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Beav’, I think it also depends on where you’re hunting.

In state, local, a guy can get by with marginal optics. If he/she is on an out of state hunt, alpha optics are a must.

If you’re local and blow an opportunity at an animal of a life time, all is good, but if it’s an out of state hunt, purgatory.

Nailed it….. whistle

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Ya, I wish our wardens didn’t wear black and grey.

One sitting down looks a lot like a bear. The last one got a little snippy with me.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I hate carrying binos due to the weight and it being just one more thing to break, or forget.

As such, I scan and spot critters with my scope. The bigger the X and clearer it is, the better. I get bummed when my "deer" accidentally turns into a person when I finally get a good sight picture. Better glass gets me there, faster.

I prefer excellent glass that allows me to spot the electronic wires on the remote decoy deers F&G use to trick those losers who run lesser quality scopes.

#BeaverIsHard2Catch

😝🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been in spots and situations on my lease where my 20mm had me wishing for my 6x42. Otherwise I'd have more of the small ones because I like the way they handle on a rifle.

I’m with you MM, while I like those small optics they don’t cut us any favors in the canopy near dark.

What about you fellas with point restrictions in the East, all binocular work in the woods to verify points?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM

One sitting down looks a lot like a bear. The last one got a little snippy with me.

I hate carrying binos due to the weight and it being just one more thing to break, or forget.

As such, I scan and spot critters with my scope. The bigger the X and clearer it is, the better. I get bummed when my "deer" accidentally turns into a person when I finally get a good sight picture. Better glass gets me there, faster.

I prefer excellent glass that allows me to spot the electronic wires on the remote decoy deers F&G use to trick those losers who run lesser quality scopes.

#BeaverIsHard2Catch

😝🦫

#oregonoutlawsareBA

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I much prefer the little 20mm scopes for here. It's too bad they are becoming extinct.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I think alpha glass matters far more with binos/spotting scopes than rifle scopes, particularly for spot and stalk hunting out west. Having said that, depending on where you’re hunting, the benefit of alpha glass in a scope can make a difference in low light, or long range.

Using a rifle scope to glass for animals goes against the core of basic gun safety…. Please get used to using binos….

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a Meopta Meostar binocular for doing my looking.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beav has probably been drinking and everything is blurry…

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Great minds there. My little brother just got the latest iteration and man, they aren’t getting worse.

Beav, what is your favorite while you’re hunting for lashes?

Semper Fi
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm also in the Alpha binocular camp. I spend MOST of my time behind the binocular, I spend mere seconds looking through a scope and theres plenty of nice, good, and reliable hunting scopes in an " affordable" price range.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

Great minds there. My little brother just got the latest iteration and man, they aren’t getting worse.

When I bought them I was more flush with cash than I've been in a long while. Nevertheless, when I compared them to Swarovski and Leica and they gave me so much of the performance of the traditional alpha models for so much less I bought the Meostar. That's been a while now and I don't see myself replacing them.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We got my kid some B1 Plus 8’s and they are pretty impressive.

Don’t know if it’s a mind game, or the new coatings, but much better IMO than the B1’s I had a few years ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

YOU get bummed when yo u scan with your rifle scope and see another hunter in your cross hair???? Do us other hunters a favor...USE BINOCULARS. This is one safe way to avoid a PREVENTABLE HUNTING ACCIDENT.

Please tell us all you were just kidding. This is a teachable moment: DO NOT SCAN WITH YOUR RIFLE SCOPE!

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

When I bought them I was more flush with cash than I've been in a long while. Nevertheless, when I compared them to Swarovski and Leica and they gave me so much of the performance of the traditional alpha models for so much less I bought the Meostar. That's been a while now and I don't see myself replacing them.
I've got a buddy here that kills more deer than anybody else I know. Probably averages 8-10 per season over the last 10 years. Never seen him carry a pair of bino's and his main rifle is a bone stock Tikka .270 with an old Denver Redfield 3-9 on it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
SOB, wish you would have posted this a few years ago.

Originally Posted by SLM

#BeaverIsHard2Catch

😝🦫

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Around here it's 30 minutes before or after sunrise/ sunset. Even if you're in a tree stand in a more open area and Deer Run just inside the tree line it can get real dark during legal light. Most of my larger game hunting glass is Zeiss Conquest and Meopta /Cableas instinct.

Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.