Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by mathman
I have been in spots and situations on my lease where my 20mm had me wishing for my 6x42. Otherwise I'd have more of the small ones because I like the way they handle on a rifle.

I’m with you MM, while I like those small optics they don’t cut us any favors in the canopy near dark.

What about you fellas with point restrictions in the East, all binocular work in the woods to verify points?

Here’s a very limited sampling of one by me on a East WT hunt in PA.

Picked up a deer in the early morning that was, if I remember, something like 235 yards away, but there was heavy cover between myself, sitting in a stilt blind, and the deer.

I dropped my bins after I saw the deer and ranged it, going straight to my scope NF SHV 4-16x50 f1. I literally sat on the deers neck and head for what must’ve been 15 minutes waiting for a clear opening through the thickets to see if there was any headgear.

It turned out to be a small, legal buck. I shot it. Blew the left front leg off at the shoulder. It ran straight into the waiting arms of another hunter in our group, who killed it...He was pretty happy.

I’m pumping Pom-poms for glass in a scope, that will allow me to check horns and milkers, if I can’t initially put horns on an animal right away through my bins.

🦫

That is a darned perfect scenario.

I’ve taken my best buck with a Schidty 4x M8 Leupold. I could tell he was horned but not a “good” buck, I was in a legal unit for any buck but after that I learned S&B sorta glass doesn’t suck. The deer was 125-150 yards so we’re not talking long distance either.

By the way I never put bins on him, he was moving down a finger and I was looking for a hole in the woods to kill him. Chances are if I had to ID points and then transition to a rifle I wouldn’t have killed him, but I suck as a head hunter next to most.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by mathman
I have a Meopta Meostar binocular for doing my looking.

Great minds there. My little brother just got the latest iteration and man, they aren’t getting worse.

Beav, what is your favorite while you’re hunting for lashes?

Bins/RF, I’m using Zeiss Victory 10x45 and Leica 10x42 Geovids

Scopes. I really like my NF NXS, SHV scopes. I’m also satisfied with the Zeiss V4 scopes.

🦫

I hear the Zeiss V4’s are pretty good. I was mighty tempted.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
SOB, wish you would have posted this a few years ago.

Originally Posted by SLM
Ya, I wish our wardens didn’t wear black and grey.

One sitting down looks a lot like a bear. The last one got a little snippy with me.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I hate carrying binos due to the weight and it being just one more thing to break, or forget.

As such, I scan and spot critters with my scope. The bigger the X and clearer it is, the better. I get bummed when my "deer" accidentally turns into a person when I finally get a good sight picture. Better glass gets me there, faster.

I prefer excellent glass that allows me to spot the electronic wires on the remote decoy deers F&G use to trick those losers who run lesser quality scopes.

#BeaverIsHard2Catch

😝🦫

I’m always good for your bail money....Ask Tinny about his secrets for surviving a night in jail.

👊🏽😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
We’ve got 8’s, 12’s, 15’s and the spotter, all are pretty good for the money.

That’s next. The 15x’s that is. Good to hear they aren’t junk.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
I scan with my scope all the time not a big deal.

Yeah, but that’s my bedroom window you’re scanning, you pervert.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
That fickle little basterd sent you the same pics?

Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I hate carrying binos due to the weight and it being just one more thing to break, or forget.

As such, I scan and spot critters with my scope. The bigger the X and clearer it is, the better. I get bummed when my "deer" accidentally turns into a person when I finally get a good sight picture. Better glass gets me there, faster.

YOU get bummed when yo u scan with your rifle scope and see another hunter in your cross hair???? Do us other hunters a favor...USE BINOCULARS. This is one safe way to avoid a PREVENTABLE HUNTING ACCIDENT.

Please tell us all you were just kidding. This is a teachable moment: DO NOT SCAN WITH YOUR RIFLE SCOPE!

Would it make you feel any better, if you knew he was wearing a leopard thong and a feathery red boa ?

😝🦫

That 2 timing man whore !

😂🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alpha glass is almost as important as flat brim hats, tat's and skinny jeans..... smile
#imagematters

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm not a fan of the guys who say you have to spend more on your scope than on your rifle- frankly I think they are full of beans and I have the results to prove it many times over... but I do like decent glass- kind of at the least middle of the road glass on my rifle for those times when I have to shoot across a canyon or into a deep, dark pocket in the forest where I can just barely make out my target so I need all the illumination I can get. The deep dark canyon is pretty self explanatory, but the cross canyon thing caught me off guard. In good daylight I have shot a few animals at "extended" ranges and without decent glass I probably would not have seen the small bush or a small tree branch that was on the bullet path so I could avoid it or wait for the animal to move. Also, sometimes you spot an animal in a group with your binos and then you have to pick that one animal out of the herd while they are milling around and that one is the only legal one in the bunch. Happens a lot in these spike only tag seasons we have here so you need to be careful to identify your target. My Bausch & Lomb and Leupold glass make it pretty easy most of the time regardless of the time or conditions- lesser glass is a crap shoot....

Besides, I'm too cheap to spend the money on "Alpha Glass" when the middle of the road glass has served me so well...

Bob

I have an actual hunt situation, and, it isn’t the first time I’ve been in this same position....Bull hunt 2 years ago. Public land 3 mile hike on a closed to vehicle logging road.

Our group heading in at 3:30AM passed a small group of hunters on an upward incline to the top of the mountain. Not a race, but ain’t it’s always a race, depending on the area and with elk on public land ?

Our group of 4 got into position where we wanted to cover a large cut. I saw more headlamps coming up into the area from the lower side of the mountain we were on. Damn, it’s gonna be a busy morning. People were aware of the herd we were going to hunt that morning, obviously.

Before legal shooting, I picked up elk bodies moving in the cut. I couldn’t make out bull from cow in the low light, but, the elk are there.

I watched and counted up 6 elk bodies close to each other in the cut across from me...It was still not legal to shoot. I was able to range off their bodies with my Zeiss 10x45 bins....That allowed me to turn away from the killing grounds, hit my small pocket light, casting light into my cupped hands, so I could see enough to dial the yardage on my scope.

I already had my pack set up on a log for my rifle....I went straight to my NF scope, found the elk bodies, and watched their heads until I was 100% positive I had a bull in my scope.

The second I crushed the bull, the herd busted for the trees. Then shots rang out from below me.

After the dust settled. The group below me said they had missed the two bulls that were running for cover and didn’t even see the herd until they were running balls out.

My group of hunters came down to where I was and my pard who was above me, said he had that group of hunters we had passed coming up the mountain, trying to set up on top of him...He moved them along, but was within earshot of them. My pard said that when I shot, he heard them say Fûuuuuck ! Where’s the elk ?

I’m a believer, that in a competitive, pubic land hunting situation, especially for bull hunting. Having good enough glass on a scope that will let you see horns before, or at least at the same time another hunter who is running alpha bins. Can give you an advantage on making a good shot before another hunter touches off.

🦫

PS

I’ve also been the hunter who had elk shot out from under me, because I didn’t have good enough optics to spot animals.

I learned up real quick.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You jackasses. I leave to test a new powder charge/bullet and I come back to this?

No feathery red boa for this guy anymore. I went straight and wear a loin cloth these days.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Alpha glass is almost as important as flat brim hats, tat's and skinny jeans..... smile
#imagematters

Brother, remind me to show you the tattoo on my ass.

😝🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

After that elk killin story I will have to concede...... smile

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
#imagematters

😝🦫

It’s just a enter here sign not that impressive on 15x. Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

Will I need "alpha" glass to see it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt predators day and night. At night I want good glass.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Dateline has a show about you Grizz. LOL
X marks the spot.

Last edited by DingoDuk; 07/18/21. Reason: Lmfao
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

Okay....That’s damn funny !

I’m just a smidge shocked that you can actually read.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

Oh, boy...Here we go...Is Flavor staying the night at your house?

LOL

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Before you and DingoSucksMeOff start fighting...What’s good glass for you.

Not judging, just curious what you run at night. I’ve got limited experience doing any night hunting....

Well, there was this one time, but she was legally old enough, and she didn’t say stop.

😜🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

LOL

🦫

Is that damned Kingston peering in my window again and reporting back to you on his walkie talkie? son of a bitch.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
#imagematters

😝🦫

LOL

🦫

Is that damned Kingston peering in my window again and reporting back to you on his walkie talkie? son of a bitch.....

I lost contact with Kingston 7 hours ago when he said he was about to breach a secured shelter on your property.

Welfare check might be helpful.

👊🏽🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.