Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SLM
I’d assume you consider yourself a lame ass hunter since you didn’t sneak to 10 yards and kill all these deer with a long bow?

Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by SLM
This is another example of someone’s really small world colliding with reality.

But seriously anybody who really can't kill deer with iron sights and really needs a scope to get the job done is a pretty lame ass hunter and shooter.

How so ? Keep in mind I've killed deer in the open in excess of 300 yards with iron sights and under heavy hemlock/spruce/pine canopy on cloudy days at sunset.

Surprised Mountain King of the Catskills doesn't use one of these

I have to be careful when talking about him , he posts mean stuff and hurts my feelings.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OE,

How have you been ?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by SLM
I’d assume you consider yourself a lame ass hunter since you didn’t sneak to 10 yards and kill all these deer with a long bow?

Originally Posted by SLM

But seriously anybody who really can't kill deer with iron sights and really needs a scope to get the job done is a pretty lame ass hunter and shooter.

How so ? Keep in mind I've killed deer in the open in excess of 300 yards with iron sights and under heavy hemlock/spruce/pine canopy on cloudy days at sunset.

Surprised Mountain King of the Catskills doesn't use one of these

I have to be careful when talking about him , he posts mean stuff and hurts my feelings.
Nope never used a spear. Have used rifle, shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader, bow. Spears aren't legal hunting implements here. If they were I might give it a try.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

^^^^^Hate bait^^^^^

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OE,

How have you been ?

🦫

I am doing great, thanks for asking.

I try to avoid this place like the plague but like a crack whore end up coming back . It will be a gradual withdrawal. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

^^^^^Hate bait^^^^^

Say Whaaat ?

This thread has been a summer fest of love event.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
OE,

How have you been ?

🦫

I am doing great, thanks for asking.

I try to avoid this place like the plague but like a crack whore end up coming back . It will be a gradual withdrawal. grin

Rehab didn’t work out for me either.

Keep the faith.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s gaining traction…. This’ll have some legs.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a predator hunter/caller, days only now. I've been at this game for 50 years and started with 4x Weaver. Preds are big animals and I do my scanning with my eyes, scanning with a rifle or binoculars introduces more movement and a better chance of getting busted. If I can see them with my eyes I can see them in a scope. Scopes have come a long way since I started, I used to have to black out a square to see it in the scope at 300 yards. Now even low end scopes are sharp and clear.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

On this target with a much more modern scope the small diamond was visible.

I have about 10 dedicated predator hunting rifle and don't think I have a scope over $300 but that does include Bushnell Elite 4200, Burris Signature Select, Meopta Artimes, but it does include a couple low end Weavers and Kronus scope that work well also.

How well does a $90. Weaver 1-4x24mm work, it kills coyotes. Win Mod 70 222 Rem I bought it just to see how well a $90 scope would work, it is clear and precise but bulky for a 1-4.

Kronus M-30 1.5-6x44mm circle dot. RPG .223 I liked this scope enough that I bought another for a custom 6x45mm bolt action.

For me it is a matter of putting the crosshairs where needed not how well I can see the animals.

A lowly Weaver V-3 on a rifle I drove 1700 miles for the hunt, it worked perfect for still hunting the forests of northern WI, it has proven very reliable.

You can spend a $1000 more for your scopes, I'll put it into gas and hunting.

Last edited by erich; 07/19/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For most of the big game hunting I do, alpha glass is not critical. I mostly hunt in open or mixed terrain, and for that, decent mid level glass is just fine for the scope. I do like using high quality binoculars though, as I spend a lot more time looking though them.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You’re a little dense. Ok, a lot dense.

Of course animals can be killed with open sights just about anywhere. ML and bow hunters prove this every year.

I know a few hard core killers that would take exception to your comment that the use of a scope makes you a lame ass hunter. If you truly felt like a superior killer, you wouldn’t ever be using a firearm.

I can get anywhere I want to go horseback, don’t mean I’m going to do it.

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

I have killed deer with bow and gun at 10 yards and less. That has nothing to do with this discussion. You want to tell me exactly WHERE IT IS that you can't kill deer between the hours of sunrise and sunset with an iron sighted rifle ?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
🤣….

Originally Posted by beretzs

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
You’re a little dense. Ok, a lot dense.

Of course animals can be killed with open sights just about anywhere. ML and bow hunters prove this every year.

I know a few hard core killers that would take exception to your comment that the use of a scope makes you a lame ass hunter. If you truly felt like a superior killer, you wouldn’t ever be using a firearm.

I can get anywhere I want to go horseback, don’t mean I’m going to do it.

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

I have killed deer with bow and gun at 10 yards and less. That has nothing to do with this discussion. You want to tell me exactly WHERE IT IS that you can't kill deer between the hours of sunrise and sunset with an iron sighted rifle ?

LOL. Who's dense now ? I never said the use of a scope makes you a lame ass hunter. I said anybody who REALLY CAN'T kill deer with iron sights and REALLY NEEDS a scope to get the job done is a lame ass hunter.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a buddy here that kills more deer than anybody else I know. Probably averages 8-10 per season over the last 10 years. Never seen him carry a pair of bino's.....

I've got a buddy who has access to several pieces of prime turkey habitat on private land in Nebraska. He never hunts turkeys with anything but a bow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've got a buddy here that kills more deer than anybody else I know. Probably averages 8-10 per season over the last 10 years. Never seen him carry a pair of bino's.....

I've got a buddy who has access to several pieces of prime turkey habitat on private land in Nebraska. He never hunts turkeys with anything but a bow.

Now that is a feat .

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Good for him. Does he kill many ?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Bet was 10.

If you’re right...name your beer 🍺

😬 🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

A scoped crossbow ?

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Bet was 10.

If you’re right...name your beer 🍺

😬 🦫

I’m watching.

Bunch of damned hacks using optics anyhow. Real hunters don’t need sights. Shoot, Fred Bear managed to get after it whistle

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by mathman
I have a Meopta Meostar binocular for doing my looking.

Great minds there. My little brother just got the latest iteration and man, they aren’t getting worse.

Beav, what is your favorite while you’re hunting for lashes?

When I bought them I was more flush with cash than I've been in a long while. Nevertheless, when I compared them to Swarovski and Leica and they gave me so much of the performance of the traditional alpha models for so much less I bought the Meostar. That's been a while now and I don't see myself replacing them.
I've got a buddy here that kills more deer than anybody else I know. Probably averages 8-10 per season over the last 10 years. Never seen him carry a pair of bino's and his main rifle is a bone stock Tikka .270 with an old Denver Redfield 3-9 on it.

I almost never carry a pair of bino's with me. One binocular is generally enough.

Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.