Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, that's not quite true. I've hunted feral hogs. I even saw a couple sneak through a densely populated part of northern CIncinnati, just south of the Hamilton County fairgrounds one morning on the way to work. This was my first sighting of them near the farm in Bracken County, Kentucky.

I was driving to Falmouth, KY-- the county seat of the next county over, and late afternoon I spied a big black boar wallowing in a stock pond. He would have easily gone over 200 lbs. I've been hearing of them for 15 years, but this was the first one I laid eyes on. I guess they're coming. Eventually we'll start seeing damage at the farm. Sigh!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s 2 types of hunting spots.

Those that have hogs...
Those that don’t have hogs **yet**.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have seen their mud holes and tree rub mud markings in area 41 and 44A.
10, 12 yrs ago I seen 5 or 6 across Veghel DZ in 44a by the Ky offpost border.
Spoke with the fed warden .
He said the 44A ones were probably mennonite pigs the retard lets free range feed.
The ones in 41 were feral and being dealt with inside of fence traps set up by 2 usda shooters.
They were killing alot of em by live fire base.
They restricted ag lease farming for several yrs on the western border to certain areas to concentrate em and baited the schit outta em into those fence traps.
Then they put restrictions on ag lease farming around the post border areas to help prevent hogs being drawn in.
Srebrenica hog cleansing ops.
Seen 1 guy bring in a 250 300 pd hog back around 2011ish to tag.
Area 43 kill Ky border area....
Black and white piebald looking thing ( correct term???)
Probably a mennonite free range feeding hog....
Dunno......
I woulda let the fugging thing lay where it died.
Yotes and buzzards gotta eat too

I actually aint seen sign of hogs in years on post since 2012 2014ish.

Dont hear much if any at all about feral hogs around here hunting off post on private or public land either.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shaman
I guess they're coming. Eventually we'll start seeing damage at the farm. Sigh!

Not necessarily. They can live anywhere but I think they tend to gravitate towards swampy areas, around rivers, creeks, etc.

Last place I hunted, it was near a large river swamp ecosystem but a couple of miles upland from it and there are plenty of hogs in that swamp. I expected to see a lot of them but in 8 years I only saw a pair one afternoon and killed one of them. One was caught on a game cam. There was one instance of them rooting around one of our stands. I knew a guy on a neighboring club which leased land closer to the river and they saw hogs all the time.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Saw my first hog of the day this morning, I was at Walmart. ps....NO ammo.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Once you got em you ain’t getting rid of them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Set up a few game cameras. Want take much time to find out if you have them. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If you have seen 1 or 2 hogs today, there will be 20 next week. Rio7

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They multiply quickly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
They multiply quickly

Faster than rabbits. I lost at least 60% of my oats this year due to hog damage. They damaged 30-40% of my Sudan crop so far. Very destructive.

Jim

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
See em at the walmart on payday

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They have been in Pendleton County for several years. Church cemetery got plowed up pretty good two years ago. Had a spot in front of our barn and another behind the house got rooted up last year. However, given that the river is 1/4 mile away, and all of the bottom crop land, never see them during daylight hours. SIL and grandsons have game cameras setup around the farm from time to time. Have never caught a picture of one, yet.

Of course, no one had any black bears on camera in our county either. Until one ran across the road in front of a school bus full of kids in broad daylight last year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
200=125...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
200=125...

Most likely. Experience counts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first one, I could only see her head at 150yds or so. Figured she was 100-150lbs. Put one in her ear hole and she flopped. Ol' gal went close to 400lbs. I'm still a crap judge on pig sizes until they are dead on the ground.

They have taken over in my area since that time (this was maybe 2004 or so). Now there are facebook pages the locals are running where they use cell-activated gates and pen traps, catching hundreds a year, being next to people's homes and even in the city limits of our little town. I'd hate to see how many we'd have if those guys weren't knocking a dent in them. Dad had one on his front porch last year, trying to get in the glass door (dogs ran it up the hill from the creek bottom). If the door had been open, he'd have come straight in the house.

Now with even more aplomb
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66

Not necessarily. They can live anywhere but I think they tend to gravitate towards swampy areas, around rivers, creeks, etc.

Last place I hunted, it was near a large river swamp ecosystem but a couple of miles upland from it and there are plenty of hogs in that swamp. I expected to see a lot of them but in 8 years I only saw a pair one afternoon and killed one of them. One was caught on a game cam. There was one instance of them rooting around one of our stands. I knew a guy on a neighboring club which leased land closer to the river and they saw hogs all the time.

The hog I saw was at one of the high points of the county just off a road that runs down the top of a ridge.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
200=125...

I've actually hunted boar. This was bigger than my last one (180 lbs) and smaller than my buddy's (220).

YMMV.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
They have been in Pendleton County for several years. Church cemetery got plowed up pretty good two years ago. Had a spot in front of our barn and another behind the house got rooted up last year. However, given that the river is 1/4 mile away, and all of the bottom crop land, never see them during daylight hours. SIL and grandsons have game cameras setup around the farm from time to time. Have never caught a picture of one, yet.

Of course, no one had any black bears on camera in our county either. Until one ran across the road in front of a school bus full of kids in broad daylight last year.

I heard about that. Last I looked, the bear had finally moved on. He was wintering in the foundation of the old mill at Browningsville. My neighbor, O.T., was the one to spot him first over in our neck of the woods. That bear would drop by my place every fall, shred some sumac bushes and then take a large dump and claw up a couple trees. That stopped happening a couple years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Tell that to the ranchers in dry ass Mediterranean climate California where there are no swampy areas, rivers, and what creeks there are sometimes (many times) are dry for months at a time.

If they can find a spot to wallow under an irrigation sprinkler, or tear up vineyard, them pigs seem to be as happy as anywhere else.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Tell that to the ranchers in dry ass Mediterranean climate California where there are no swampy areas, rivers, and what creeks there are sometimes (many times) are dry for months at a time.

If they can find a spot to wallow under an irrigation sprinkler, or tear up vineyard, them pigs seem to be as happy as anywhere else.

Just relating my experience, that is all. I was always thinking I could kill a young one or two, only happened once in 8 years while the guys a way over saw and killed them fairly regularly. But if the OP thinks or wants to think he is going to be overrun with them because he saw one so be it....could be. I guess time will tell.

Crazy thing was, it being South Carolina, the deer were being baited. When I first got invited to join the situation, I didn't think they would be able to keep corn on the ground because of the hogs that I assumed would be there. They never bothered it not once.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.