Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16264603 07/19/21
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation of wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:
- Do you know what I just heard about your friend?
- A moment, replied Socrates. Before you tell me, I would like to test you the three sieves.
- The three sieves?
- Yes, continued Socrates. Before telling anything about the others, it's good to take the time to filter what you mean. I call it the test of the three sieves. The first sieve is the TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?
- No, I just heard it.
- Very good! So, you don't know if it's true. We continue with the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. What you want to tell me about my friend, is it good?
- Oh, no! On the contrary.
- So, questioned Socrates, you want to tell me bad things about him and you're not even sure they're true? Maybe you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful that I know what you're going to tell me about this friend?
- No, really.
- So, concluded Socrates, what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?
Philosophy of wisdom. ⚓

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
'...let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only a word that will edify, based on the need of the moment and will give grace to those that hear...'

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Very good

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ain't no Socrates around here....

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

There are not direct references (text) to So-Crates..

All of his words came from quote from his students.

Interesting reading any of this on the Net.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Read most of the posts on this site and you''ll quickly surmise that society is filled with gossiping kghunts.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not know for certain that Socrates had a great reputation for wisdom in Ancient Greece. But, I do know that we had such a reputation as a "teacher". His applied technique of stimulation and exploration through questioning often is called "the Socratic method". In many learning situations, it can be very, very effective. You probably have experienced teachers who have done this. It can be especially effective when honestly self-applied.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The Socratic method is simply the logic analytical front, and middle engines that helps make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.

Then again most people react vs. think - so it’s always a powerful and relavent tool.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, Idaho had a governor named Don Samuelson, aka Big Dumb Don. He made a speech where he quoted something about young people rioting in the streets and attributed his quote to So Krates.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The Socratic method is simply the logic analytical front, and middle engines that helps make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.
Then again most people react vs. think - so it’s always a powerful and relavent tool.
I would not argue that those are not components, but would that the "method" goes well beyond those.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.

So true!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The short version:

Is it True? Is it nice? Is it necessary?

A question for those who studied these things? Was Socrates a proponent of "man/boy love"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You sure? I thought he were Odessa's boy??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A gay ass World Lit professor we got for ENG2010 was thrilled with the hypothesis that it might be so.

The homo said Voltaire was gay and that Gilgamesh he assigned has homo theme to it too.

Only thing he didn’t assign that was suspect gayish was some Frederick Douglas thing.
Oh yeah...Siddartha

Some gay crap too

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The method looks for the lack of using logic in a Given context, and then shifting the context to test if the arrived upon conclusion actually used logic vs.using emotion, bias, … lack of thought).
Keeping in mind it’s an iterative process where you change the context and “rewind” to have them apply their logic again to see where it failed frankly wasn’t used at all.

Very, very few people (and I mean very few) actually do an exhaustive dive on any one given decision, so the SO-Crates method is actually an “audit” approach to see if what you did was bullshit…. Meaning - one would / should only use it to validate your decisions are crazy, biased, unfair, stupid, …. Or in fact sound.

AI guys originally tried to apply it wrong ALOT… as the up front engine ALL THE TIME, vs in discovery mode, or in audit mode….
For reaction time, we all make rules to speed the input to output response time (is that my hand I smell burning on the stove ? )….

Anyway, the best part about Socrates method is that you don’t have to be the bad guy… you simply tweak the context, and ask the guy to apply himself so HE is the bad guy.
.. I think REALLY good dad’s do that with their kids..

smile

Originally Posted by CCCC

I would not argue that those are not components, but would that the "method" goes well beyond those.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/19/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You sure? I thought he were Odessa's boy??

That, I'm unaware of, but I do know that there are several people here who do not hesitate to say nasty things. At times that may be what's needed.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
He ded.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
A gay ass World Lit professor we got for ENG2010 was thrilled with the hypothesis that it might be so.

The homo said Voltaire was gay and that Gilgamesh he assigned has homo theme to it too.

Only thing he didn’t assign that was suspect gayish was some Frederick Douglas thing.
Oh yeah...Siddartha

Some gay crap too

Jeebus,

I have two of those books.

I guess I'm a turnip truck faller offer. I didn't get the gay part.

Sheesh, is nothing right anymore.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,296
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.