Hop To
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by beretzs
Leupold’s and Alpha glass huh…. Now we’re talking.

I heard they make good sunglasses too whistle

Back on a serious note...For a second.

Would a Leupold Mark5, VX6 HD and VX5 HD qualify as alpha glass ?

If, no....Why not ?

I had several VX6 non hd scopes. Just have one left on Sako 243 Win yote rifle...I had good success with them in low light hunting conditions.

🦫

I really like the VX6 I have. Lugged it around Africa several times, and MX once. It's done very well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like taint.

If it tastes like cock.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
It isn't, most hunting is done with iron/peep sights on Sharps rifles or old original Winchester lever rifles, my top glass rides on defense and target rifles.

Gunner, really ? Your alpha glass only sits on specific, non hunting rigs ?

Huh...I didn’t know that.

Well, that’s cool.

Question, if you were going to hunt a scoped rifle, would you use tier 1 glass, or something else ? Being that you have shot behind and own solid optics.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I like taint.

If it tastes like cock.

I’ll tell SLM.

🦫

PSA

SLM can’t find his step ladder to reach the top rope...Anyone see or take it ? Thanks.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

If, no....Why not ?

I had several VX6 non hd scopes. Just have one left on Sako 243 Win yote rifle...I had good success with them in low light hunting conditions.

🦫

I really like the VX6 I have. Lugged it around Africa several times, and MX once. It's done very well.

Yeah, I got scared off my CDS VX6 scopes by Form and Jordan a few years back.

I did buy a VX5 HD for a lightweight 7-08 a year and half ago...I guess my toe still dips into the Leupold pond every now and again.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If, no....Why not ?

🦫

I thought the VX6 was some of the greatest looking glass I’ve used. I just couldn’t keep from them turning into rattles on my Mashburn or 338.

Like the old Indian said in the Outlaw Josey Wales, they aren’t for shooting, just for looking through grin

Really ?....Your 338 crushed a couple ?

That sucks !

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beav, my woods Guns get glass that sees better in the dark since it seems dark in the woods and especially at last light when deer tend to move most.

The rifles for our west get scopes that track and are able to dial. I’ve never ran out of light before the end of legal time out west.

In the East is where the really nice glass shines in my opinion and I’m not dialing on most any of them either. They’re set and forget zeroed for sensible ranges.

+1

Well reasoned & shared

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It isn't, most hunting is done with iron/peep sights on Sharps rifles or old original Winchester lever rifles, my top glass rides on defense and target rifles.

I knew you were gonna chime in with your little varmint rifles like the 50-90 and little stuff with buckhorn sights….. there is always one in the mix whistle

Next you’re going to tell us about knocking over bucks with some muzzleloader and little tiny irons like it’s your job….

LOL, but that coyote sitting behind bush with head hanging out eyeballing that passel of late calves had to get the little Swede/147 horn guided by LRTS. cool i couldnt even see his head with naked eye to shoot, Lulu the red quarter horse was blowing, tail swishing and holding her head high, i knew she saw something over on that clay bank, grabbed the bino and found what was buggin her, she's a good big sis to those calves ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Well, that’s cool.

Question, if you were going to hunt a scoped rifle, would you use tier 1 glass, or something else ? Being that you have shot behind and own solid optics.

🦫

Terrain, range and critter would dictate glass, lifetime Western Bull Elk hunt? big 338 firing 300gr Accubonds at 3000 fps, 2.5-10 NF would get that job, set and forget Leupolds and even an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40 AO get deer here with ease.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If, no....Why not ?

🦫

I thought the VX6 was some of the greatest looking glass I’ve used. I just couldn’t keep from them turning into rattles on my Mashburn or 338.

Like the old Indian said in the Outlaw Josey Wales, they aren’t for shooting, just for looking through grin

Really ?....Your 338 crushed a couple ?

That sucks !

🦫

I had two 2-12’s and both got rebuilt twice. It’s kinda about then I figured I should look at something else. The Mashburn ain’t particularly tough, nor was the 338. Maybe I just got a bad batch but I got tired of trying.

Semper Fi
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Well, that’s cool.

🦫

Terrain, range and critter would dictate glass, lifetime Western Bull Elk hunt? big 338 firing 300gr Accubonds at 3000 fps, 2.5-10 NF would get that job, set and forget Leupolds and even an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40 AO get deer here with ease.

Jerry,

What were your African hunting rifles scoped with?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jason,
In coastal timber for elk, I’m using either open sights on a lever gun or a lightweight Browning BAR MK3 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope. Both, to me, have advantages. Running shots on bulls in dense timber, I prefer open sights and shooting with both eyes open.

If we’re heading into timber with pockets of small clearings/wallows and meadows, I like my scoped BAR. The 2.5-8x36 is a pretty decent timber optic at reasonable yardage inside a canopy of Doug Fir.

As you stated, it’s unrealistic to claim one size fits all the types of hunting environments for optics, rifle chamberings, or even boots...With that said, my personal experience, especially hunting elk on pub-land on the Coast, is optics rule, both in scouting with long glass, scanning the hunting ground with bins, or in a scope.

I always have to assume, other hunters have done the same leg work I’ve done, to scout up bulls before opening day. Because of the competition, and the inherent seriousness found in people during bull hunting, any advantage, is a good thing.

In contrast, me sitting over a shooting bag for 10 hours shooting ground squirrels or p-dogs - my scope optics are not the same quality as my big fur rifles. They’re good, helpful, and easy on the eyes for extended lengths of shooting. But the glass isn’t tier 1 stuff. For me, it’s perfect for that type of hunting I’m doing.

I believe that since I’ve been on both the unlucky end of having game shot out from me, and also the winning side of taking animals before others had the opportunity, mostly due to optics. I would encourage anyone who hunts public land with OTC tags to consider what I have found helpful by upgrading to a solid performing scope with glass good enough that a person can transition from the bins to their scope in low light and watch heads until you can hit the go button.

🦫

PS

I hunt the Wilson Unit exclusively for elk the past 43 years....Damn, I’m getting old !

Small world! I've been hunting the Wilson, Trask and Saddle Mountain units for awhile now. But mostly rifle blacktail, and archery elk. If you're getting it done in the Wilson for elk, year after year, my hat's off to you. I mean it.

I've only done one rifle elk hunt in the Wilson, just a few years ago. And I think it would make a good reality TV show grin Circus would be an understatement! You're not just dealing with the animals, but hoards of people. Groups driving elk like deer, and shooters at each vantage point. I'm used to seeing trucks at gates, and running into other hunters in the field, but that elk hunt is more like a sports competition with animals involved.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Jason,
In coastal timber for elk, I’m using either open sights on a lever gun or a lightweight Browning BAR MK3 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope. Both, to me, have advantages. Running shots on bulls in dense timber, I prefer open sights and shooting with both eyes open.

If we’re heading into timber with pockets of small clearings/wallows and meadows, I like my scoped BAR. The 2.5-8x36 is a pretty decent timber optic at reasonable yardage inside a canopy of Doug Fir.

As you stated, it’s unrealistic to claim one size fits all the types of hunting environments for optics, rifle chamberings, or even boots...With that said, my personal experience, especially hunting elk on pub-land on the Coast, is optics rule, both in scouting with long glass, scanning the hunting ground with bins, or in a scope.

I always have to assume, other hunters have done the same leg work I’ve done, to scout up bulls before opening day. Because of the competition, and the inherent seriousness found in people during bull hunting, any advantage, is a good thing.

In contrast, me sitting over a shooting bag for 10 hours shooting ground squirrels or p-dogs - my scope optics are not the same quality as my big fur rifles. They’re good, helpful, and easy on the eyes for extended lengths of shooting. But the glass isn’t tier 1 stuff. For me, it’s perfect for that type of hunting I’m doing.

I believe that since I’ve been on both the unlucky end of having game shot out from me, and also the winning side of taking animals before others had the opportunity, mostly due to optics. I would encourage anyone who hunts public land with OTC tags to consider what I have found helpful by upgrading to a solid performing scope with glass good enough that a person can transition from the bins to their scope in low light and watch heads until you can hit the go button.

🦫

PS

I hunt the Wilson Unit exclusively for elk the past 43 years....Damn, I’m getting old !

Small world! I've been hunting the Wilson, Trask and Saddle Mountain units for awhile now. But mostly rifle blacktail, and archery elk. If you're getting it done in the Wilson for elk, year after year, my hat's off to you. I mean it.

I've only done one rifle elk hunt in the Wilson, just a few years ago. And I think it would make a good reality TV show grin Circus would be an understatement! You're not just dealing with the animals, but hoards of people. Groups driving elk like deer, and shooters at each vantage point. I'm used to seeing trucks at gates, and running into other hunters in the field, but that elk hunt is more like a sports competition with animals involved.

The last 10 years, the unit has exploded with hunters. There was a time when the Coast bull hunt was a plan B for dudes that didn’t draw an Eastside hunt.

They would typically roll in Friday night and pray for an elk sighting over the next 4 days...Over time, these hunters started learning from coming back and talking to other non-local hunters about the areas and how our elk move.

Today, if you’re trying to hunt by truck on logging roads, you’re going to have crowds where the elk herds are easily seen.

Last season, we were down two hunters. I elected to puss out and go to a few honey holes by truck where I had put eyes on bulls.

Didn’t matter that we arrived at 3:30AM opening day, hunters were already there sleeping in rigs where we needed to head in before light...They ended up missing a decent 4 point, I had hoped we’d hunt up.

Day 3, I got on a small spike. I passed on him, but hailed my pard on the radio to come to my spot to get take the shot if he wanted...By the time he’d made his way to me the spike and cow moved into a deep ravine. We had a big storm crushing us, neither of us wanted to dive into the steep timber with 60 mph wind gusts hammering into trees.

Last season brought back the bad memories of too many hunters running amuck in drivable areas. I’m going back to the hike in behind locked gates, no vehicles hunting. That 2, 3, and 4 mile up hill trek cuts the hunting pressure by 90 plus %.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought some Swarovski binoculars and replaced my Zeiss Terras was so pleased to see the color variation in a deer’s fur at 100 yards I couldn’t wait to get the benefit of those fabulous binoculars. It took 7 years before they actually made a difference in a hunt. I spotted some bedded elk in thick brush that the cheaper bino is couldn’t quite make it. Son in law had the Terras I was able to wait for him to get there & we both killed cows at about 200 yards that other hunters would no doubt walked past without good glass.

I like Zeiss Conquest on my hunting rifles but have several scopes that wil do just fine for killing big game animals under 400 yards the best glass in rifle scopes is purely a nice to have.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You’re pushing it Beav’.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I like taint.

If it tastes like cock.

I’ll tell SLM.

🦫

PSA

SLM can’t find his step ladder to reach the top rope...Anyone see or take it ? Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
You’re pushing it Beav’.

Haha!!!! Sorry Beav, your azzz is grass and SLM is the lawnmower.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like SLM sorted out a tactical advantage!

He’s lower to the ground, makes a fella steadier and deadlier grin

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For the record, I don't claim my glass is "Alpha" glass. Looking back in time, I was a Leupold basher. I thought they were over rated and over priced. Now just over priced.
Yes, Beav, I dropped a "chalupa"!!! sick grin

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by SLM
You’re pushing it Beav’.

Haha!!!! Sorry Beav, your azzz is grass and SLM is the lawnmower.

SLM said I should get in some practice on falling down.

I’ve been doing it.

It hurts.

LOL
🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by specneeds

I like Zeiss Conquest on my hunting rifles but have several scopes that wil do just fine for killing big game animals under 400 yards the best glass in rifle scopes is purely a nice to have.

Agree.

It’s not a “must have it” for pretty much everyone.

But it’s nice to have.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.