Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My one friend couldn't say enough good things about them until the repair bills started rolling in on a regular basis.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just buy a well maintained used Toyota/Lexus

The money you say on maintenance you can go to Alaska fishin every year & drink beer

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Prefer an innie.

LOL

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The TT catches my eye.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My late mother's last car was an A-4 and my brother and some friends have had several. They've always been enjoyable cars to drive and travel in but, in my opinion, too much weird schitt goes wrong with them and it costs too damn much to get them fixed.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Had one, was a blast to drive. Like taking corners posted at 25 mph at 60 mph fun. Amazing in snow with Pirelli snow tires, almost could not get it to slide.

The kid got dinged in it by another car. Took two months and twice as money as the insurance company thought to fix. That was at the dealer.

Same kid now drives a BMW. Took it to a shop to get the alternator replaced, they quoted $1,600. He did it himself instead, three bolts and an online alternator for about $200, Some of the repair bills on German brands is because the shops know they can get away with it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 20 year old son bought an ‘18 A4 last summer. I warned him he wouldn’t be able to afford to fix it if it breaks down. He wasn’t worried because it had something like 10k miles of warranty left. In the 4 months he had it the dealer put over $15k worth of repairs into it. Transmission, multiple CV axles and another sizable repair I can’t recall. It was in the shop more than on the road. He traded it in just before the warranty ran out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had an ‘01 A4 S-line in Germany, fwd v6. Awesome. Never a lick of trouble, solid, smooth, quick, was euro spec or else woulda brought home. Bought an ‘08 S4 wagon, last year for the v8. Faster, but not as solid a build quality feel, and the sob would go down hard-dead about once a year, necessitating a flat bed. Had the dealer svc plan for 7years - but for that i’d have gone broke. Eventually had an indie do a service, and he politely pointed out a few things f’d up (by dealer) that recommended fixing. Just could not catch a break with that f’n car. Was a blast cross-country, though. Good in snow, but honestly the ‘01 a4 was better. Pointed that sucker home in rural Bayern winters a few times that were really pushing my luck - she always came thru, though. Can’t see spending what they want on a new one today, particularly living rural.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Had one, was a blast to drive. Like taking corners posted at 25 mph at 60 mph fun. Amazing in snow with Pirelli snow tires, almost could not get it to slide.

The kid got dinged in it by another car. Took two months and twice as money as the insurance company thought to fix. That was at the dealer.

Same kid now drives a BMW. Took it to a shop to get the alternator replaced, they quoted $1,600. He did it himself instead, three bolts and an online alternator for about $200, Some of the repair bills on German brands is because the shops know they can get away with it.

Hey Dutch,
Thanks for the review. What year was yours?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rem141r
they are rental cars in germany. much like impalas, etc in this country. people buy them for the fancy logo and name.

BMW's and Mercedes are rental cars too in Germany. As others have said they share the characteristics of other German cars, namely complex and expensive to fix. The Audi's shine in their all wheel drive system and handling. Owning one out of warranty can be a risk unless you know a good reasonable mechanic.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No doubt the mechanic’s hourly rate is special…

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll bet they still have vented batteries situated under the rear seat. Cost a fortune to replace.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My wife has a 2012 A6 that I bought new in late 2011.
We have had very good luck with it and it rides and drives like a dream. It sticks to the road like a spider! Effortless to drive.
Like almost all vehicles, we had a few minor warranty issues in the first few years. And over the last 5-6 years, A wheel bearing, oil changes, and tires. That's about it. Of course it only has about 50K on it.
I'd buy another one without hesitation.
Personally, I dont like BMWs and find Mercedes can be a little austentatious. Just my opinion.
All nice cars are pricey. But so is quality food and firearms.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When we moved back here from Australia my wife needed a car as we left her 06 Suburban in Idaho. She wanted a mid-sized crossover. This was 2016. We went out and drove a number of them, Ford, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda and likely others. Hands down we both preferred the Audi Q5. The particular one we drove and later bought is a notch up, performance wise, from the base turbo 4 being a supercharged 6. Quality of build, ergonomics, performance, it had it all. We have been very pleased with the car with zero issues at 70K miles. We recently drove it 2K miles to get here in Idaho. Maintenance has been oil/filter every 10K, air filter at 30K cabin filter every couple of years and break flush every 3K. I do all of the maintenance short of the break flush which cost $125. We recently rejoined dog ownership (blue heeler) and next year she plans on getting another (red heeler) so has decided she wants a larger vehicle. It will likely be an Audi Q7 though we will look at Genesis as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Prefer an F250 7.3

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
When we moved back here from Australia my wife needed a car as we left her 06 Suburban in Idaho. She wanted a mid-sized crossover. This was 2016. We went out and drove a number of them, Ford, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda and likely others. Hands down we both preferred the Audi Q5. The particular one we drove and later bought is a notch up, performance wise, from the base turbo 4 being a supercharged 6. Quality of build, ergonomics, performance, it had it all. We have been very pleased with the car with zero issues at 70K miles. We recently drove it 2K miles to get here in Idaho. Maintenance has been oil/filter every 10K, air filter at 30K cabin filter every couple of years and break flush every 3K. I do all of the maintenance short of the break flush which cost $125. We recently rejoined dog ownership (blue heeler) and next year she plans on getting another (red heeler) so has decided she wants a larger vehicle. It will likely be an Audi Q7 though we will look at Genesis as well.

Why a genesis?
Only German/euro made car we own right now is my daughters VW golf Tdi. It’s been trouble free and she loves it. Had a Cooper that was the biggest POS we’ve owned, a LR discovery series 1&2 that were a close second and third. Settled on a Land Cruiser and 15 years from now when we’re 65 we’ll probably trade it on another if they’re available, and it will be our last vehicle.

Last edited by jackmountain; 07/20/21.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Waaay over engineered, like most German stuff.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good cars and generally good owners. Unfortunately a high percentage of the subset of drivers who are wankers tend to be driving Audis down here.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Hey Dutch,
Thanks for the review. What year was yours?

Ow, geez, been a while. 2004 vintage?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BIL bought one, sold it after a few repair bills. I warned him, it’s the kind of car to ditch before the warranty expires. They do drive nicely.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.