Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ah, back to magic.
......................LOL>>>LOL......Call the laws of physics magic or whatever you like.

No, you misunderstand. That creator stuff is the magic story.

...............Oooooooh ok then...........Magic uh?..... Well perhaps you might try and answer the two questions in my earlier post? Where did all matter come from? Or better yet. How did matter come into existence without a creator?

Not being a particle physicist, I’ll refer you to your favorite search engine.
.......................LOL>>>LOL.....Ya don't need to a particle physicist to understand laws of physics.......You offer quite a nice diversion though referencing search engines.....LOL

Like I said, you don’t understand.

The source for the Big Bang can be found via a search for “matter for Big Bang”.

I have a passable understanding of the theory. For the depth of knowledge for which you seek, particle physicists can better explain it. The links can provide the enlightenment you desire.

Good luck in your search.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Ah, back to magic.
......................LOL>>>LOL......Call the laws of physics magic or whatever you like.

You're gonna smoke like a turd in hell for that.

Reprobare.

Just telling the truth, smoke. It’s what I do. 😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ah, back to magic.

...............Oooooooh ok then...........Magic uh?..... Well perhaps you might try and answer the two questions in my earlier post? Where did all matter come from? Or better yet. How did matter come into existence without a creator?

.......................LOL>>>LOL.....Ya don't need to a particle physicist to understand laws of physics.......You offer quite a nice diversion though referencing search engines.....LOL

The source for the Big Bang can be found via a search for “matter for Big Bang”.

I have a passable understanding of the theory. For the depth of knowledge for which you seek, particle physicists can better explain it. The links can provide the enlightenment you desire.

Well.... Those links you refer to will most likely NOT provide enlightenment.... just speculation and bafflegab. I don't buy that singularity concept.... there is much bafflegab surrounding "singularity" and what it may or may not be. This has been around for a long time. Every single one of the references I have ever found on the subject ... every one.... starts with something. Stephen Hawking said that "given gravity' and his "equations" he could show how the universe came into being..... So, what does he start with? Gravity..... Well, the way he explains it... as I recall... is that gravity is a "force." Then he applies his equations to the "force" and comes up with matter.....Well, then no.... he started with a force. Where did that come from?

Some start with "space" .... ok... what is "space?" Some will then tell you that "space" is not "nothing" and that "space" has "characteristics" and is not "empty" like we think of "empty... then the bafflegab sets in.

This reached it's peak with Magic Larry Krauss and his book "The Universe from Nothing" or something like that. Talk show host Steven Colbert embarrassed him on live TV when Krauss admitted that yes, you had to start with "something." Krauss said that given "quantum theory" and ... as he stated....
...".. imagine a box with particles going in and out of existence..." something like that. Larry was a bookseller.... many, including frequent posters on this site fell for it. Larry was later discredited by the scientific community...also discredited at ASU.

It has been quite a while since I read this article and I will try to find it later tonight.... but there is an astro-physicist who says the universe did not come from a single point like some think of it..... he postulates that yes, there was a big bang type event but that the universe leapt into an almost instantaneous existence over a dimensions that would be measured in "light years." He apparently got this idea when looking into dark matter and trying to figure out how and why the universe is currently expanding in all directions. My crude understanding would be that he was saying that well yes there was a big bang but that "point" of singularity does not make sense when it seems the universe "banged" into existence and was light years big.

Seems that starting with "particle physics" is starting with "something." ......

But maybe not.....

If some one knows of a reference that can demonstrate that the universe came into being without a creator, pls let me know.....

Last edited by TF49; 07/22/21.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If only Gus were here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ah, back to magic.

...............Actually, I was not seeking. You asked me "what basic laws of physics is that?" I responded and in that response I asked you two questions.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49

I am not trying to prove a negative. You made the flat out declaration that God does not exist.

First off, you are wrong with that statement.

Second, there is no possible way that you can back up that foolish statement. You cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

It is a simple concept that you fail to grasp…..

So, using your metric for logical decision making (ie proving that something doesn’t exist, or proving the negative), how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did?

This is the criteria that you are applying to others so lets hope you have not been hypocritical or deceitful and can provide an honest answer. (I’ll bet you don’t though.)

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So, using your metric for logical decision making (ie proving that something doesn’t exist, or proving the negative), how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did?

But, but, some really superstitious people who knew far less about the nature of the universe than we do wrote a story in a book 2000 years ago. I mean what more proof can you ask for than that. LOL!

It's truly amazing to watch the hypocritcal double standard employed by some. They utterly reject science if it can't completely explain, in two paragraphs or less, every mystery of the universe and do so in terms simple enough for a 3rd grader to understand.

Then in the next breath they fling their arms around and totally embrace an explanation for the universe that has no hard evidence at all and is basically dependent on accepting the word of people over 2000 years ago who still believed in witches, werewolves and vampires.

Last edited by Willto; 07/22/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Willto

But, but, some really superstitious people who knew far less about the nature of the universe than we do wrote a story in a book 2000 years ago. I mean what more proof can you ask for than that. LOL!

It's truly amazing to watch the hypocritcal double standard employed by some. They utterly reject science if it can't completely explain, in two paragraphs or less, every mystery of the universe and do so in terms simple enough for a 3rd grader to understand.

Then in the next breath they fling their arms around and totally embrace an explanation for the universe that has no hard evidence at all and is basically dependent on accepting the word of people over 2000 years ago who still believed in witches, werewolves and vampires.

If God exists then it is reasonable to assume He influenced the creation of Scripture. That by itself does not offer evidence for the existence of God but it explains why Christians accept Scripture as more than simply the writings of men. IOW, Christians believe Scripture is divinely inspired.

You seem to be missing the point by a large margin. There is NO discovered science of any degree of complication or available to the brightest mind which explains the creation of time and matter. None. Zero. The existing science backed by empirical evidence points to the creation of time and matter at a finite point in the past. IOW, the existing science says there was a beginning.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
but it explains why Christians accept Scripture as more than simply the writings of men.

They are taking the word of men that it is the word of God. And there's the weak link in the chain. There are about 4000 recognized religions. Each one with many fervent believers totally convinced their particular brand is the one and only divine truth. Yet since there can only be one truth simple logic dictates that 3999 of them have to be dead wrong. Thus proving that fervent belief is proof of absolutely nothing. And if 3999 are wrong despite such strong belief then it's no great stretch that all 4000 are wrong. Especially since none of them possess any greater evidence than the others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but it explains why Christians accept Scripture as more than simply the writings of men.

They are taking the word of men that it is the word of God. And there's the weak link in the chain. There are about 4000 recognized religions. Each one with many fervent believers totally convinced their particular brand is the one and only divine truth. Yet since there can only be one truth simple logic dictates that 3999 of them have to be dead wrong. Thus proving that fervent belief is proof of absolutely nothing. And if 3999 are wrong despite such strong belief then it's no great stretch that all 4000 are wrong. Especially since none of them possess any greater evidence than the others.
Maybe there is some truth in a lot of those religions. The human race and their religions may resemble that story about the group of blind men and the elephant where each one felt a different part of the animal and came up with a different description of the animal based on whether they felt the tail, a leg, the tusks, etc. They started accusing each other of lying and came to blows.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I am not trying to prove a negative. You made the flat out declaration that God does not exist.

First off, you are wrong with that statement.

Second, there is no possible way that you can back up that foolish statement. You cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

It is a simple concept that you fail to grasp…..

This is the criteria that you are applying to others so lets hope you have not been hypocritical or deceitful and can provide an honest answer. (I’ll bet you don’t though.)

Well, I will play one more time..... You are flat out wrong again…..You are also confused again… I am not trying to prove a negative… you are being deceitful when you say that I am. Just what is the “negative” that I am trying to prove?

Here is what you previously posted:

Takes a big leap of faith to see something that's not there does it not?

Think a bit…. This issue is whether or not YOU…. Can KNOW that God does NOT exist. You cannot possibly know that. You can believe He does not exist. You can say that you recognize no evidence for the existence of God…. But you cannot possibly know that He does not exist. You cannot know that any more than you can know how many ticks are on my neighbor’s dog.

Your statement about God…. “..something that’s not there…” is like posting that you know how many ticks are on that dog. But… seemingly, you cannot see the absurdity of your allegation.

I followed up with this:

“Nope, you’ve got it all wrong. Just because YOU don’t see it…..and YOU don’t experience it…does not mean it’s not there.

Simple concept….simple idea…..but you don’t get it.”

There are a multitude of things, facts and aspects of life that you do not know about. The reality is that what you do not know about these things does not in any way indicate that they are unreal. Not trying to prove a negative at all…. Simply making a statement that you cannot possibly know that God‘s “not there.” You can’t possible know that God does not exist anymore than you can know how many ticks are on my neighbor’s dog.

Your latest post is just plain nonsensical….. I never set up any “metric for logical decision making” This is a flat out fabrication on your part. I never tried to prove a negative at all. This is another fabrication on your part.

The fact that you think that I was trying to prove that something does not exist or “proving the negative” is simply poorly thought out nonsense….

Then you take a swipe by asking this: “…how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did?” I did not do anything of the kind and you are again are, true to form….. fabricating and again, just flat out wrong…..

Here is your last post:

So, using your metric for logical decision making (ie proving that something doesn’t exist, or proving the negative), (Nope, never did this.....never came up with any metric to prove something does or does not exist...). how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did? (Nope, never made any attempt to disprove the existence of all the other gods..... more fabrication on your part.)

This is the criteria that you are applying to others so lets hope you have not been hypocritical or deceitful and can provide an honest answer. (I’ll bet you don’t though.) (Well, I think I did answer.)

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Well, it's not my truth.

So what do you believe? How do you think the Universe came into existence?

To believe the Universe appeared from nothing takes greater faith than believing in Christianity.

I think that quote came from someone else. You may have grabbed from the wrong poster. It's not something I'd say.

I made no claim that the universe came from nothing. I made no claim of knowing how it came about or if it did; it may be cyclic, a part of a multiverse or something yet unknown. I don't pretend to know.

There is no empirical evidence for either a static or multiverse. Science requires empirical evidence. They are just science fiction in the minds of physicists who disbelieve in God.

There is empirical evidence for a single point of Creation of time and ALL matter.

There is logical evidence for a creator. The evidence is for a supernatural Creator. For example,
https://www.reasonablefaith.org/wri...-of-god/the-kalam-cosmological-argument/
https://www.reasonablefaith.org/wri...al-argument-and-the-anthropic-principle/

Nobody has to believe in a multiverse or anything else. Science doesn't work like that. Multiverse, Branes, Cyclic Universe, etc, are proposals that need to be tested.

And yes, the evidence shows that the Universe began 13. 7 billion years or so ago....but that means in its present form. It is not known whether time began with the BB.

The universe could be cyclic, it could be a part of a multiverse....the point is: we don't know.

And: we don't know, therefore God, is not a solution.

The correct answer is: we don't know.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

So, using your metric for logical decision making (ie proving that something doesn’t exist, or proving the negative), (Nope, never did this.....never came up with any metric to prove something does or does not exist...).

You say that just because I haven’t seen any evidence of a god that I can’t definitively say they don’t exist. The lack of evidence is proof to me that a god doesn’t exist but you don’t seem to buy this.

I never saw anyone drive the car out of the driveway and park onto the street, doesn’t mean, aliens, ghosts or god moved it and would be preposterous to try and prove this negative, so not even worth considering.

Proving the negative was an idiotic notion that you started – I get it, it’s not relevant and just plain stupid – it doesn’t mean anything worthwhile. Like I said it leads into infinite fairytale possibilities.

how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did? (Nope, never made any attempt to disprove the existence of all the other gods..... more fabrication on your part.)

Under your logic for me all gods fall into the category of can’t know for sure that they don’t exist, but you yourself have chosen a god thereby nullifying the thought of considering any others (exclusive deity). I have undertaken a similar decision process but concluded that there are no gods, and you tell me I can’t do that. Rather than accepting that as my position, you point out that I could wrong.

I say:
I don’t believe in a god because I haven’t seen evidence, and there has been a long history of no evidence.

You say:
Doesn’t mean there’s no god (ie implying that I could be wrong).

Like it or not, I have reached my decision.

This is the criteria that you are applying to others so lets hope you have not been hypocritical or deceitful and can provide an honest answer. (I’ll bet you don’t though.) (Well, I think I did answer.)

See above. Why do you keep insisting on the “doesn’t mean god doesn’t exist” line?

Also note that you can count the ticks on a dog, if you really want to.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Absence of evidence means holding a belief that is not supported. If there is no evidence for the reality of Allah, it is not justified to believe in the existence of Allah. Rather than logic and reason, to believe without evidence is a matter of faith.

Last edited by DBT; 07/23/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Well, it's not my truth.

So what do you believe? How do you think the Universe came into existence?

To believe the Universe appeared from nothing takes greater faith than believing in Christianity.

I think that quote came from someone else. You may have grabbed from the wrong poster. It's not something I'd say.

I made no claim that the universe came from nothing. I made no claim of knowing how it came about or if it did; it may be cyclic, a part of a multiverse or something yet unknown. I don't pretend to know.

There is no empirical evidence for either a static or multiverse. Science requires empirical evidence. They are just science fiction in the minds of physicists who disbelieve in God.

There is empirical evidence for a single point of Creation of time and ALL matter.

There is logical evidence for a creator. The evidence is for a supernatural Creator. For example,
https://www.reasonablefaith.org/wri...-of-god/the-kalam-cosmological-argument/
https://www.reasonablefaith.org/wri...al-argument-and-the-anthropic-principle/

Nobody has to believe in a multiverse or anything else. Science doesn't work like that. Multiverse, Branes, Cyclic Universe, etc, are proposals that need to be tested.

And yes, the evidence shows that the Universe began 13. 7 billion years or so ago....but that means in its present form. It is not known whether time began with the BB.

The universe could be cyclic, it could be a part of a multiverse....the point is: we don't know.

Then you live by faith. The faith that there is no God. The faith that science will explain the origin the universe and of physics itself.

The multiverse is not empirically testable. That is what makes it the perfect atheist fantasy. Branes are not an alternative explanation for the origin of the universe. There is positive evidence against a cyclic universe.

And: we don't know, therefore God, is not a solution.

The correct answer is: we don't know.

You don't understand deductive reasoning.

Last edited by OldHat; 07/23/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

So, using your metric for logical decision making (ie proving that something doesn’t exist, or proving the negative), (Nope, never did this.....never came up with any metric to prove something does or does not exist...).

You say that just because I haven’t seen any evidence of a god that I can’t definitively say they don’t exist. The lack of evidence is proof to me that a god doesn’t exist but you don’t seem to buy this.

I never saw anyone drive the car out of the driveway and park onto the street, doesn’t mean, aliens, ghosts or god moved it and would be preposterous to try and prove this negative, so not even worth considering.

Proving the negative was an idiotic notion that you started – I get it, it’s not relevant and just plain stupid – it doesn’t mean anything worthwhile. Like I said it leads into infinite fairytale possibilities.

how did you manage to disprove the existence of all the other gods in order to select the one that you did? (Nope, never made any attempt to disprove the existence of all the other gods..... more fabrication on your part.)

Under your logic for me all gods fall into the category of can’t know for sure that they don’t exist, but you yourself have chosen a god thereby nullifying the thought of considering any others (exclusive deity). I have undertaken a similar decision process but concluded that there are no gods, and you tell me I can’t do that. Rather than accepting that as my position, you point out that I could wrong.

I say:
I don’t believe in a god because I haven’t seen evidence, and there has been a long history of no evidence.

You say:

See above. Why do you keep insisting on the “doesn’t mean god doesn’t exist” line?

I conclude that you simply refuse to understand or more likely, you do not comprehend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are about 4000 recognized religions.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Maybe there is some truth in a lot of those religions.
There is definitely some profound wisdom in some of em’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I say:

You say:

I conclude that you simply refuse to understand or more likely, you do not comprehend.

What you choose to believe is up to you, and irrelevant to me providing you don't try and push your crap om me.

Well?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Maybe there is some truth in a lot of those religions. The human race and their religions may resemble that story about the group of blind men and the elephant where each one felt a different part of the animal and came up with a different description of the animal based on whether they felt the tail, a leg, the tusks, etc. They started accusing each other of lying and came to blows.

Sorry old friend. Many of the beliefs are "mutually exclusive", meaning different religions will hold different beliefs that cannot all be true at the same time.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
There are about 4000 recognized religions.
Maybe there is some truth in a lot of those religions.
There is definitely some profound wisdom in some of em’.

God has written His law on our hearts and we are made in His image. We all know this in a deep and abiding way that even scientistic materialism and post modern relativism can’t erase.

A cursory examination of history reveals religious practices all around the world which point to a deep hunger in the human heart to be reconciled to some creator for some wrong we sense in ourselves.

The lengths to which men will go to deny this shows what a chasm our fall has created between us and the holy just and almighty uncaused first cause who has written His story around reconciliation and redemption.

Bless His holy name.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.