Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by slumlord
Not to take away from the topic

But my Century brand, Country Mile reels used to my better reels for panfish.

I had a green Johnson brand spincast reel when I was a kid that was pretty good too. Can’t remember the model name.
Johnson Century.

My parents' fishing pre-dated Zebco's with old, wore-out Shakespeare open face reels with braided line. My Dad's best friend was a big bass fisherman and convinced Dad I need a Garcia 5000, the best there was at the time, and Dad got me one which I still have. It still casts great. Dad was a snob against Zebco's but I managed to get a Johnson Century which Dad was okay with 'cause Virgil Ward used one. I later gave it to my cousin and he still has it. I got my wife a Shimano for her first reel. It was likewise, the best at the time. I later got her a 33 to back it up. It has disappeared along with my Snap On crescent wrench. I hope they'll turn up, but the hope is dimming.

Yep. That was it. The Johnson Century. Thanks EE. I think Mom got it for me at the Green Stamp store as part of a fishing kit.
I bought my first Garcia 5000 in 1974 or 75. It was the green 5000 D model. For Direct Drive. You had to let go of the handle for the drag to kick in. Great for hauling big ole bass out of log jams or trees when fishing plastic worms or jigs. Mostly what we called “dabbling” at that time. Seems like it was about $33 or $35 at Gibson’s. It was their cheapest model.
I've still got my Mom and Dad's later rods and reels. Dad got himself a 5000C after seeing how good my 5000 worked. His buddy told him the C was an improvement on mine. I've got it. Not long later, Dad got Mom a 5000D to replace her Shakespeare. I've got it. Of course, I've still got their matching Shakespeare reels from the 40's or 50's. I've also got my Grandpa's Pflueger of the same vintage.

I just bought my daughter a Zebco combo from Walmart. It's a good lookin' rig to replace the Pflueger spincast that went missing at the same time the wife's 33 did.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by johnw
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.

Peacock bass??
Oh, yeah forgot about fishing in the ditches of Miami, lol.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Trivia: What does the abbreviation ZEBCO stand for?

Zero Hour Bomb Company. WWII maker of things that go boom. After the war was concluded the company found themself with a buttload of stored metal previously destined for bombs. They asked themselves "well, whadda we gonna do with all this metal?" After scratching their heads they thought "Well.....lets make fishing reels!"

I've always heard that they made some kind of explosive for the oil industry that was basically the shape of the first reels but there are people here on the 'Fire that would know a lot more about that.

I wish I was able to post photos as I've got a few of the Zero Hour reels... one that is still in the box... at one time they were often seen in this area at auctions and garage sales.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.

Peacock bass??

You drove your boat while I trolled for Stripers in Lake Buchanan 4 or 5 years ago at Jag’s place. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Great “old time” fishing thread. Brought back some good childhood memories.

Sure would like to spend one more day catching crappies with my favorite GrandDad. He passed when I was 10. But gave me the love of fishing that lasted a lifetime. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got 2 pre Snoopy rod & reels. Bought before they started calling them Snoopy poles. One mine, & the other my brothers. Found them in mom & dads basement before I sold the house. Kept them just because.

Wouldn't ya know it, still useful. Perfect for catching small bait fish for limb lines.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??

You drove your boat while I trolled for Stripers in Lake Buchanan 4 or 5 years ago at Jag’s place. 🤠

That too, chit must be getting Alzheimer's.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??

That too, chit must be getting Alzheimer's.

LOL.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Started with Johnson Century’s. Moved on to spinning gear by the time I was 10. Started using baitcasters when I was 16, Abu Garcia.
Haven’t casted a closed face reel since I was a young kid.

Don’t see the romance to be honest. They’re like a bike with training wheels.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know how they do it now, but back when I was a kid, BASS had state tournaments with local anglers and the one that won their big national tournament, got to go to the BASSMASTER'S CLASSIC and compete with the big boys. I forget who it was, won that one with a Zebco and then went on and competed in the Classic with it.

I think the "romance" is that you can do so much with so little. I was just thinking about the same thing and thinking about cheap scopes that are perfectly serviceable. I killed my first buck with a model 788 Remington that I bought at TG&Y and which came equipped with a 4x Tasco.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I don't know how they do it now, but back when I was a kid, BASS had state tournaments with local anglers and the one that won their big national tournament, got to go to the BASSMASTER'S CLASSIC and compete with the big boys. I forget who it was, won that one with a Zebco and then went on and competed in the Classic with it.

I think the "romance" is that you can do so much with so little. I was just thinking about the same thing and thinking about cheap scopes that are perfectly serviceable. I killed my first buck with a model 788 Remington that I bought at TG&Y and which came equipped with a 4x Tasco.

I bought my third handgun from TG&Y. Ruger Super Blackhawk. Of course, Mom had to fill out the paperwork. Think I was 16. We had three of them in the town I grew up in. Bought a lot of ammo & fishing lures from them too. And Case Hunting knifes. Got my first pocket knife I paid for there too. A Barlow. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got some really cool old zebby’s from my grandpa. Mostly hanging on cabin walls now as decoration. I could pull them off any day, re-string and get after it with them if I wanted. My brand of choice for function is Shimano and has been for many decades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Started with Johnson Century’s. Moved on to spinning gear by the time I was 10. Started using baitcasters when I was 16, Abu Garcia.
Haven’t casted a closed face reel since I was a young kid.

Don’t see the romance to be honest. They’re like a bike with training wheels.

I’m old enough to remember Zebco reels meant you were either 5 years old and learning coordination for casting and reeling or you were a tardO adult that still put a left shoe on a right foot.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zebco 202 and fishing bluegill, bass, catfish, and crappie.
Lake Weiss, Lanier, Altoona, and a schit ton of little ponds and creeks in between.

I might of been 10 or so before I upgraded to proper spinning gear.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have various baitcasters, eggbeaters, a couple of fly reels and a sidecast, but I also enjoy using the Zebcos.

I don't remember seeing them here when I was a kid. I started out with handlines. In fact my earliest memories are of green linen "cuttyhunk" wound onto a beer bottle, soon followed by getting a made-up monofilament handline wound onto a cylinder of cork - it came with sinker and hook all ready to go, and if you wanted a float you'd cut a piece of the cork off. I'm still not averse to a handline every now and again - there's something quite primal about it, but I went to eggbeaters as a teenager and then tried various other things.

They all have their place. I fish at local beaches and occasionally off the rocks, do a bit of trolling and bottom bashing in the salt too, and also fish for trout and some of our natives in the fresh.

On the Zebco reels though, I bought one for my wife years ago, as I thought it looked like an easy thing for her to learn to use. It is, and she loves them. I tried it and I like it too. Easy and simple things to use, and just about ideal for flicking little lures to trout or various pan fish. We now have about 4 between us. After having a go of one of mine a mate recently bought one too, for dropping little lures into trout streams.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Rainy morning again, went out and found my box of old freshwater reels, most I forgot about. I did have a green Johnson but may have tossed it.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years back when we drove through S. New Zealand for about three weeks, I needed a way to take some simple, useful and not precious fishing gear on the flight - so I could try their rivers and lakes. Three piece rod, Zebco and a large baggie of lure/hook/weight/ stuff did the job. Lots of opportunities on the South Island - fished somewhere different every day - caught a nice range of stuff and cooked in in the rented MoHome. The Zebco was a perfect choice for that run. Only problem was the rock snot in some streams.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
As the years pass there are things forgotten no doubt. What is fear?

Fear is when your coffee machine dies. Thats fear.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a zebbico when I was a kid. It didn't have the traditional trip lever on the back. It had a gray looking ball that spun and I could feather the cast. other than that; they got no guts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Really nice collection of reels, krp.

Mine sit all snarled up in boxes.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.