-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the situation the OP is referring to I usually just have a plaid shirt, with the heaviness dependent upon time of year.

If rain is expected I will put on a heavy wool shirt with raingear (usually cheaper stuff, but I am expanding my horizons). Kifaru Lost Park Parka if it is windy and cold.

I am intrigued to see what others use and recommend though.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I've not pulled the trigger on it, the HPG windcheater checks a whole lot of boxes for me:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/4/ProductID/57

The Kuiu Guide (thanks for that suggestion) looks to check alot of those same boxes, I'm just wonder if it's too warm for what I'm looking for.

I’ve got a HPG Windcheater, it’s a good outer layer for the high desert where I live. It is not water resistant beyond shedding a few drops which limits it’s usefulness. I generally carry a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good combination of light, packable, mostly waterproof, and affordable.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We climbed Kilimanjaro with a Precip and a REI puffy jacket for 95% of the climb. Only time we needed warmer was at night and at the morning trek to the summit.

The sun going down at 15,000 feet in a desert causes the temps to plummet.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There is no jacket that will be a one and done deal for 30-60 degree temperature swings. Heck, in 50 degrees I’m in a t shirt while 30 degrees would completely depend on wether I was moving or sitting still.

For sitting around, I’ve yet to find anything as good as a kifaru lost park pullover. The kuiu guide jackets are ok for relatively low activity stuff but you aren’t going to hike much with one and like most other soft shells, the kuiu guide jacket isn’t very packable. It rarely makes the cut for me in terms of back pack hunts.

For me I like to have base layers, some sort of t shirt, a heavier fleece type layer and a shell, the puffy jacket is packed away for when I’m not moving. I’ve even started to really appreciate simple wind shirts just to cut wind while I’m hiking and don’t need insulation.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I've not pulled the trigger on it, the HPG windcheater checks a whole lot of boxes for me:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/4/ProductID/57

The Kuiu Guide (thanks for that suggestion) looks to check alot of those same boxes, I'm just wonder if it's too warm for what I'm looking for.

I’ve got a HPG Windcheater, it’s a good outer layer for the high desert where I live. It is not water resistant beyond shedding a few drops which limits it’s usefulness. I generally carry a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good combination of light, packable, mostly waterproof, and affordable.

Thanks for that info! The ability to stop water is towards the bottom of priorities for me, but being able to dry relatively quickly is closer to the top. Heck, I've not been that disappointed in a 20yr old Microtex jacket from Cabelas...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sika is owned by Gore Technologies and has some pretty good water and wind proof fabrics but tends to be about 20% more expensive than KUIU. KUIU uses mostly Torrey fabrics and has great stretch materials. I have more KUIU than Sitka, mostly because of the fit. I wear solids on the bottom and camo up top. I wear solid KUIU Attack pants everywhere, hiking, hunting, etc. Very comfortable and 4 way stretch. I'm also a big fan of the Guide jacket. I'm an XL and the Guide XL fits but I'm a xxl in other KUIU jackets.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sitka JetStream is a great jacket. Highly recommend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my hunting outerwear is GameHide. Very good quality at a reasonable price. And great to deal with if you order directly from them. I have one of their Flatland parkas (and some other articles) that I think I paid more for a few years ago than it's selling for now.

https://gamehide.com/product/insulated-mid-weight-flatland-parka-92z/

Their sizes run a bit big. I usually order a 3X in a jacket and theirs is roomy.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/02/21.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The KUIU Kenai is worth a look also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In the situation the OP is referring to I usually just have a plaid shirt, with the heaviness dependent upon time of year.

If rain is expected I will put on a heavy wool shirt with raingear (usually cheaper stuff, but I am expanding my horizons). Kifaru Lost Park Parka if it is windy and cold.

I am intrigued to see what others use and recommend though.

Kifaru LPP is phenomenal in the cold.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.