Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by DBT
Perhaps the bible does not describe a literal creation, or a literal world flood or a literal Ark, or a literal tower or a literal exodus....or a literal God.

Perhaps its all metaphor or a means for an ancient people to build a religion and a social identity.

Perhaps the Universe popped into existence out of nothing ... like magic.

Did anyone here make that claim?

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Perhaps the bible does not describe a literal creation, or a literal world flood or a literal Ark, or a literal tower or a literal exodus....or a literal God.

Perhaps its all metaphor or a means for an ancient people to build a religion and a social identity.

We got 3 choices
1) Universe popped into existence out of nothing ... like magic.
2) Universe popped into existence out of nothing based on a supernatural and sentient first cause, AKA God.
3) We live by blind faith and say we don't know how the science works.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices
2) Universe popped into existence out of nothing based on a supernatural and sentient first cause, AKA God.

They are your three choices. You are setting your own terms. Meanwhile, ignoring other possibilities.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

They are your three choices. You are setting your own terms. Meanwhile, ignoring other possibilities.

No, I'm using science and logic.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

I see neither science or logic.

Science does not claim the Universe "popped out of nothing"....and logic demands a sound foundation evidence, upon which to build a case.

Your 'the universe popped out of nothing' is a Strawman.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DBT

Science does not claim the Universe "popped out of nothing"....and logic demands a sound foundation evidence, upon which to build a case.

Of course it doesn't. Uneducated atheists who believe internet non-sense do.

We got 3 choices

There are no other choices. That's why you just avoid the topic.

Science requires empirical evidence to become science. The only empirical evidence which exists supports the beginning of space, time and matter at a single point projected into the past using mathematics. There is EMPIRICAL evidence which supports this. There is no EMPIRICAL evidence which supports any other fantasy.

This allows only the 3 choices above as the set of belief systems for a first cause using logical exclusion.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

You cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

Yep, that's what the lack of evidence is saying.

I get the feeling that you are having a hard time accepting your faith as faith.

…..

The statement stands as logical and true….. a simple concept that you have an inability to comprehend.

You simply cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

Your statement is not logic at all, but you want it to be true and logical. You’d like it to be true because you’d get some sort of validation out of it thinking it might substantiate your belief, but it wouldn’t even do that. That’s what led me to my comment about you lacking conviction to your faith, and looking for additional confirmation. I just hope you have selected the correct god – your eternity depends on it. There are other religions that claim that they are correct one to go for.

My proof that a god does not exist is this:
· Civilisations and religion started about 5,000 years ago with gods appearing shortly after (some sense of the spiritual was evident in pre-human species about 300,000 years ago evidenced by the burials sites that have been uncovered)
· Modern man has been around 200,000 years ie man is older than god/s. Man created god/s.
· Early on, god/s evolved from living in high mountains, then to the sky and then to space, just out of reach of anyone actually be able catch up with them. (God likes to be elusive? Or maybe avoiding the “denial proof” by those writing the story? eg “I climbed the mountain and he wasn’t there” is an awful thing to try and explain.)

Of course the documented word of god has factual issues (omissions, contradictions and inconsistencies):
· At the time of the bible/s writing the creation of everything was set to what is now 6,000 years ago since this seems to be as far anybody can remember and can’t dispute (at that time). Note that man has been around longer than this but I guess they didn’t know this at the time, and god hadn’t told them. God also failed to mention the previous periods of life and extinction events, or maybe the writers edited that out for clarity.
· Oddly enough religion first dismisses the scientific facts such as dinosaurs, earth orbiting the sun and the age of the earth and universe, but then lay claim to these as works of god once they can no longer deny the facts.

Since the god/s first appeared there has been no evidence of god/s existence.

Having said that, by all means keep your faith – but you have to own it and not look out to others for validation of it – fair bet is that no-one else will have the exact same style of faith that you have anyway.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

Science requires empirical evidence to become science. The only empirical evidence which exists supports the beginning of space, time and matter at a single point projected into the past using mathematics. There is EMPIRICAL evidence which supports this. There is no EMPIRICAL evidence which supports any other fantasy.

This allows only the 3 choices above as the set of belief systems for a first cause using logical exclusion.

You said your remarks are based on science, now by shifting the goal posts you are saying 'uneducated atheists' claim the Universe 'popped out of nothing.'

Who are these uneducated atheists?

Are you sure you aren't misrepresenting quantum fluctuations, which is known to produce virtual particles, particles that do pop in and out of existence?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

I was surprised by your option 2 - I thought it was going to be aliens, maybe that can be option 4?

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pastor Steven L. Anderson

From Wikipedia

Steven Lee Anderson (born July 24, 1981) is an American preacher and conspiracy theorist. Founder of the New Independent Fundamentalist Baptist movement, he is pastor of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, Arizona. He has received international notoriety and condemnation for advocating the death penalty for homosexuals and praying for the deaths of former U.S. president Barack Obama and media personality Caitlyn Jenner. He produced a documentary titled Marching to Zion in which he "championed a wide range of anti-Semitic stereotypes", according to Matthew H. Brittingham of Emory University.

He has been banned from many countries, including Jamaica, Canada, the Schengen Area—which is made up of 22 of the 27 European Union countries, the Republic of Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. As of 2019, Anderson has been banned from more than thirty countries, including every English-speaking developed country other than the United States (his home country); and most English-speaking African countries. In September 2016, after he had announced his intention to travel to South Africa, Malusi Gigaba, the Minister for Home Affairs banned Anderson and his followers, citing the Constitution of South Africa and stating "I have identified Steven Anderson as an undesirable person to travel to South Africa"

Anderson established Faithful Word Baptist Church as a fundamentalist Independent Baptist church in Tempe, Arizona. Members of the church meet in an office space that is located inside a strip mall.
Anderson is part of a connected but "...diffuse group of theologically-focused, anti-Semitic Christian conspiracists who deny the Holocaust." In May 2015, he posted a YouTube video, titled The Holocaust Hoax Exposed, promoting Holocaust denial.

Anderson made national news following a confrontation with United States Border Patrol agents at an interior checkpoint on Interstate 8, about 70 miles (110 km) east of Yuma, Arizona. He refused to move his car or roll down his windows, triggering a 90-minute standoff and the calling of Arizona Department of Public Safety officers to the scene. The confrontation ended when authorities broke Anderson's car windows, tased him, and forced him out of the vehicle. Anderson said they beat him while he was lying prone on the ground.

As of 2019, Anderson has been banned from more than thirty countries, including every English-speaking developed country other than the United States (his home country); and most English-speaking African countries.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For ease of understanding, and a good laugh, here is a list of countries Anderson is banned from entering:

Australia
Belgium
Botswana
Canada
Czechia*
Denmark*
Estonia*
Finland*
France*
Germany*
Greece*
Iceland*
Ireland
Italy*
Jamaica
Latvia*
Lithuania*
Luxembourg*
Malta*
Malawi
Monaco
The Netherlands
Norway
New Zealand
Poland*
Portugal*
Spain*
Sweden*
South Africa
United Kingdom

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

So, where did the "universe" come from?

What does "science" claim?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

You cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

Yep, that's what the lack of evidence is saying.

I get the feeling that you are having a hard time accepting your faith as faith.

…..

The statement stands as logical and true….. a simple concept that you have an inability to comprehend.

You simply cannot possibly know that God does not exist.

Your statement is not logic at all, but you want it to be true and logical. You’d like it to be true because you’d get some sort of validation out of it thinking it might substantiate your belief, but it wouldn’t even do that. That’s what led me to my comment about you lacking conviction to your faith, and looking for additional confirmation. I just hope you have selected the correct god – your eternity depends on it. There are other religions that claim that they are correct one to go for.

My proof that a god does not exist is this:
· Civilisations and religion started about 5,000 years ago with gods appearing shortly after (some sense of the spiritual was evident in pre-human species about 300,000 years ago evidenced by the burials sites that have been uncovered)
· Modern man has been around 200,000 years ie man is older than god/s. Man created god/s.
· Early on, god/s evolved from living in high mountains, then to the sky and then to space, just out of reach of anyone actually be able catch up with them. (God likes to be elusive? Or maybe avoiding the “denial proof” by those writing the story? eg “I climbed the mountain and he wasn’t there” is an awful thing to try and explain.)

Of course the documented word of god has factual issues (omissions, contradictions and inconsistencies):
· At the time of the bible/s writing the creation of everything was set to what is now 6,000 years ago since this seems to be as far anybody can remember and can’t dispute (at that time). Note that man has been around longer than this but I guess they didn’t know this at the time, and god hadn’t told them. God also failed to mention the previous periods of life and extinction events, or maybe the writers edited that out for clarity.
· Oddly enough religion first dismisses the scientific facts such as dinosaurs, earth orbiting the sun and the age of the earth and universe, but then lay claim to these as works of god once they can no longer deny the facts.

Since the god/s first appeared there has been no evidence of god/s existence.

Having said that, by all means keep your faith – but you have to own it and not look out to others for validation of it – fair bet is that no-one else will have the exact same style of faith that you have anyway.

Well, you present a semi-interesting mixture of..... opinion.... extraneous facts ... outright falsehoods ... and irrelevant commentary. And you also say this is conglomeration of nonsense is "proof."

No, it is not proof.

As I have said..... This is a simple concept..... you do not KNOW that God does not exist.

You can choose to stay in the dark.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

As I have said..... This is a simple concept..... you do not KNOW that God does not exist.

That is an outrageously arrogant and bigoted comment. So where's your proof that a god/s exists? (Hint: It's all about proof)

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We got 3 choices

So, where did the "universe" come from?

What does "science" claim?

I have already said; nobody knows.

The universe may be cyclic (the current cycle beginning 13.7 billion years ago), or a part of a multiverse, etc, quantum fluctuations, etc, etc...or something not yet dreamt of.

Nobody knows. Science is a work in progress. The matter is being explored. There are no conclusions.

''We don't know, therefore God'' is a logical fallacy, it is the god of the gaps.

The correct position is; we don't know.

Last edited by DBT; 07/25/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

NVgayzer

navel-gazing noun

navel-gaz·​ing | \ ˈnā-vəl-ˈgā-ziŋ \
Definition of navel-gazing
: useless or excessive self-contemplation
Synonyms & Antonyms for navel-gazing
Synonyms

egocentricity, egocentrism, egoism, egomania, egotism, narcissism, self-absorption, self-centeredness, self-concern, self-interest, self-involvement, self-preoccupation, self-regard, selfishness, selfness

,😄

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/25/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That is an outrageously arrogant and bigoted comment. So where's your proof that a god/s exists? (Hint: It's all about proof)

That’s not the point…. You made an outright assertion that God does not exist.

I am simply pointing put that you cannot KNOW that God doesn’t exist.

Simple idea…. Simple concept.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

That’s not the point…. You made an outright assertion that God does not exist.

I am simply pointing put that you cannot KNOW that God doesn’t exist.

Simple idea…. Simple concept.

We moved on from there. I made my case and you said I was wrong. You need to provide evidence of why I am wrong ie why you are right ie god/s existance. If you can't prove your case then you are a bigot. The burden of proof has always been with you. You treat your faith as fact that must be true yet have no evidence.

As others have said, faith is a belief without evidence. You don't seem to be able to accept this so try unsuccessfully to find validation through illogical means, trying to make it more real. Either you are weak in your conviction or enjoy being a bigot.

Well?
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 41 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.