Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
RJY66 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
What is wrong with a Taurus G2C or G3C other than they don't cost a lot? I have been reading positive things about them. However, while I don't know nearly as much about pistols as I do hunting rifles, I do remember Taurus not being particularly well thought of back in the day. But things can change. A pistol and three magazines for $300 seems like a good deal.....maybe too good?

What is your preferred cartridge/bullet weight for a compact short barreled 9mm pistol such as this for self defense/concealed carry?

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sig 365

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
SIG365

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Some Taurus’s work great. Some don’t. You’re paying more for better chance of reliability.

Taurus triggers usually stink.

Look, you can buy a Taurus, maybe save $100-$200, and if you get a GOOD one, you got a “deal”.

If you get a “bad” one, you waste ammo and half a day packaging it up to get it “fixed”, or you lose money trading it off.

Your money, your choice....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
SIG P365 with the manual safety.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Reliability, durability and "shootability" should be foremost. If you use it and trust it with your life and the lives of your family then carry it. One factor to consider is that to be "armed" you must be trained. (purchasing a guitar will not make me Eddie Van Halen) No, I'm not talking down to people who don't have thousands of hours of formal training. You must practice though. The reason I bring this up is that the journey of several thousand rounds in the interest of building competence under duress, will reveal a pistol's durability. One reason so many people use Glocks. Because so many use Glocks they are supported across the spectrum (ie. mags, holsters, lights, sights etc.). For example, if you don't like the couple of holsters available for the Taurus you may be SOL.

I've rambled, my apologies.

Ammo: Hornady Critical Duty, make sure it hits where your sights are aimed then set it aside and get all the ball ammo you can and practice.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not know anything about Taurus G, but can recommend ammo. The choices are in no particular order: Federal HST, Winchester PDX, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Duty. As long as it is reliable in particular gun there is no going wrong with any of these. I happened to use Gold Dot 124gr because that is what shop had at the time. If you want a little less recoil and flash there is Federal HST Micro with special powder blend for small handguns.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Slavek
I do not know anything about Taurus G, but can recommend ammo. The choices are in no particular order: Federal HST, Winchester PDX, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Duty. As long as it is reliable in particular gun there is no going wrong with any of these. I happened to use Gold Dot 124gr because that is what shop had at the time. If you want a little less recoil and flash there is Federal HST Micro with special powder blend for small handguns.

Fu*ck Factory Ammo

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
RJY66 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I was told by a policeman that you need to use factory ammo in your carry gun because if you ever do have to kill someone and wind up in court the scumbag's scumbag lawyer will try to paint you as a vigilante, militia member, white supremacist, etc. whose hobby was loading up "extra deadly super lethal hombrew ammo" whilst masturbating to the thought of killing a poor disadvantaged black child and you finally got your chance when Vontavious tried to knock your brains out. He was a goot boy, just getting his life together dontcha know?

Practice ammo? Load away.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/26/21.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a Glock 26 that had been my EDC for quite some time but the “pinky hang” bugged me.

I got a great deal on a G3C and it fits me beautifully. Love the texture and length of grip it is perfect to me. The mags are solid, feed beautifully, and mine has run through 115 FMJ & JHPs without any sort of hiccup. The sights are Glock comparable so I got some high vis Trijicons, but the stock ones (blacked out rear, white dot front) are not terrible. Some may well prefer them over Glock.

All that having been said while Glock triggers leave much to be desired I like the G26’s better.

As has been mentioned Taurus can be excellent for the money but QC is lacking so it could be a PITA.

My G3C replaced my G26 as EDC, but only after sufficient number of rounds run through flawlessly.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
I was told by a policeman that you need to use factory ammo in your carry gun because if you ever do have to kill someone and wind up in court the scumbag's scumbag lawyer will try to paint you as a vigilante, militia member, white supremacist, etc. whose hobby was loading up "extra deadly super lethal hombrew ammo" whilst masturbating to the thought of killing a poor disadvantaged black child and you finally got your chance when Vontavious tried to knock your brains out. He was a goot boy, just getting his life together dontcha know?

Yeah, I’ve heard that for years too, but writer Brian Pearce looked into it and found no actual cases of that happening.

Face it, if you shoot someone, chances are you’re in for a bit of trouble, or a whole schittload, depending on circumstances and where you live. Here in WV, unless there’s serious evidence of wrongdoing by a defensive shooter, you aren’t subject to arrest or detention. How that works in practice I have no idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJY66

Biggest BS myth going in the shooting world

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, Massad Ayoob started this unsubstantiated rumor decades ago. So far there is not a single case of SD where handloads were a factor, none.

There is a case where the shooter was convicted partly on his choice of ammo, it just happened to be Factory Hollow Points.

One juror commented that he could not get past the fact that the shooter used HP Ammo, "They are designed to kill" he said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a trite response but, "how much is your life worth?"

Economize on plinkers or truck guns, not something you might have to use to save your life or the lives of others. You don't need to get top tier competition ready gear for self defense but there are a bunch of brands out there with excellent reputations for reliability, durability, and good ergonomics that don't cost a whole lot more than the Taurus.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Are you going to bet your life on it working?

Being a cheapskate and buying a bargain basement pistol to be used to potentially save your life, is like saying "what's wrong with buying this $300 parachute? It looks just like the expensive ones that cost $2500. It will probably work when I need it to."

There is a reason why no professional outfits carry Taurus.

To each their own, but I would never recommend a Taurus. There are plenty of good used HKs, Glocks, S&Ws, Sigs, and other actual service grade handguns on the market that have a long, well established record of working.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's a trite response but, "how much is your life worth?"

Economize on plinkers or truck guns, not something you might have to use to save your life or the lives of others. You don't need to get top tier competition ready gear for self defense but there are a bunch of brands out there with excellent reputations for reliability, durability, and good ergonomics that don't cost a whole lot more than the Taurus.

Buy it, clean it, lube it, shoot it and make it run.

Simple

Price or brand is not a factor.

If ya can't make it run, send it back to the manufacturer and let them have a go at it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been shooting the CZ 75Dpcr for 17 years now, and can't find a single thing wrong with it. Same size, maybe thinner, than the Sig P365x, but I think a better pistol.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Glock 19x, 17

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.