E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Originally Posted by Hastings
It could be handled by telling him that in light of your wives being friends you would like to remain socially cordial but be up front and tell him you have considered calling Colorado F&G on him. Just tell him you are not a poacher and that while you can be neighbors on good terms you are not going to jail with him and not putting yourself at risk and suspicion by hunting with him. And tell your wife what you told him so she doesn't get blindsided.

This. But you do what's in your own heart. I've had to disassociate with many guys like this ( some not as bad, some even worse!) through the years. I have no tolerance for them.

Hastings suggests what I’d do. Man to man conversation and clear path forward with clear limitations to your tolerance. No more stupid requests from him and potential peace between the ladies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lonny
Go undercover for the CO Frog and Grouse department, set up a sting operation, wear a wire, use hidden surveillance cameras, GPS tracking, cell phone tracking, car chases, color your hair, stake-outs, bribes, booze, drugs, and hot women. Just like they do on Netflix drug shows/To catch a Predator/and the Maine game warden show. It should be fun and exciting. Live a little. Great stories down the road!

Lonny, hope all is well there where I used to roam.

Now, why didn't I think of your method of dealing with the situation?

I especially like the "hot women" part. Coloring of hair and bribes might work out too. Leave out the booze and drugs for me though, others can have my share.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he is poaching, and by the OP's posts it seems he is, then the OP needs to distance himself from him. If he gets caught in the field and the OP is there then he is going to have to put up with a lot of garbage to clear his name. Guilt by association. And since the poacher has clearly told the OP is is doing "questionable" things then the OP cannot claim to be completely innocent if he does get caught in his presence.

Say goodbye and let him wander off to parts unknown.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know of someone with 7 acres that kills every deer with a pulse that passes through his 7 acres. 20-30 deer a season. In the off season, he baits the ever living fugg out that little piece of scrub.

Perfectly legal

But if he was doing that next to our much larger property, I’d be more angry than a dude killing 1-2 deer illegally

Dude killing 20-30 deer doesnt even keep them, just dumps em off at hunters for the hungry. All he wants is the Facebook likes and the internet praise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mirage243
I'd distance myself from him, but I'd never call the game warden on a neighbor. Them fuqkers wouldn't make many cases if they didn't get all their snitch phone calls. Pisses me off to see a guy get in more trouble for a game violation than if he committed a violent crime or is a drug dealer.

Would you call if he wasn't a neighbor?

If he was taking 10 deer a year out of the area you hunt? 20? More than 20?

Funny story Geno... a few years back, my Calif transplant neighbor landscaped his place..... a week later he calls me up and says hey I have a deer problem.
He proposed he shoot the deer I come pick them up and can have the meat!
I laughed... and said #1 we have game laws and you can't just shoot them #2 no way in hell I would help him in anyway #3 I wasn't cool with him killing our neighborhood deer.
And #4 if he did it anyway I would call the game warden.
He whined and said what should I do? I said two things , buy a hunting license and kill one, during season and I would help him and take the meat smile or 2 build a fence
He moved... win/win

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As bad as transplants to an open range county.

Had this ol' girl come wandering onto the place a coupla weeks back. Udder swiinging away. must have a calf somewhere. I called my neighbors, they came, figured out it wasn't one of theirs. I think we narrowed it down to the herd on the ranch at the end of the road that's being leased out. Owner's place is 5 or so miles up the road toward town. She eventually hightailed it back towards where she came from, probably where she left her kid.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had a whole herd last year coming in at night, kept getting through another fence.

Have had two mules and a horse in the yard too. We knew who they belonged too.

No telling how many deer come through and eat the petunias and such.

Just life on the range.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poachers need to be in jail. And lose all their hunting rights. I don’t tolerate them. Ever.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Poachers need to be in jail. And lose all their hunting rights. I don’t tolerate them. Ever.

Chlin.... not quite that black and white for me. For example a very rural family killing a deer for food in a place with lots of deer doesn't bother me much.
A piece of [bleep] doing it to feed his ego... well that really bothers me

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sounds like a user. As mentioned earlier in my state they will take everything in camp used to pursue game - Truck, trailer, atvs, rifles, camping gear , etc... if you are caught with an illegal take.

Elk hunting is ususlly a team sport. Buddies and their sons mostly. I always hunt with my sons and if any of my buddies expressed or pulled that crap neighbor or not it would have gotten unfriendly in a hurry. Ten or so years ago at one of the Utah DNR RAC meetings they stated statistically non guided hunters on public lands individually get one elk per individual hunter every five years on average. So this [bleep] is planning on taking more game by breaking the rules. He is an ass.

Tell your wife you will never hunt with him again and tell her why. Tell him the same thing and move on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’m curious how this would work.

A guy in Mississippi states his intention to take an elk in Colorado with a muzzleloader during archery season, hasn’t done it yet, just stated an intention.

So you call Colorado Fish and Game with a name, probable location and a license plate number?

I can tell you from experience that most good poaching cases in my state are made from information furnished by someone very familiar with the poacher. It goes like this. The neighbor calls Colorado F&G now and lines up who is the proper contact person for that area since he knows where poacher neighbor camps and hunts. Tells the GW where the camp is, what vehicle to look out for, what the modus operandi is and any evasive actions known. And then says ''I'll call you when he leaves Mississippi. After that it is a piece of cake if a good officer is on the case. I never was too proud to ask a private citizen how he would do it if he was trying to catch the one he was telling me about. I never worried about an informants motive, my concern was whether or not he was being truthful. I understood that if he liked the poacher he wouldn't be calling me.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems to me like your "buddy" needs to strike up a friendship with that fat poacher, Ron Kluless (Sharp things - DIY Guy).

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d definitely cut ties with him on a sportsman level. Prob all levels. And would let him know why. You don’t deserve to go down with his ship. He can say or think what he pleases about that, no matter. I would not drop a dime on him either though. Prob the Italian in me saying ‘never be a rat’. But I wouldn’t necessarily blame you if you did. Just not for me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I should add, there have been a couple notable times in my life where someone burnt me pretty bad, and where I definitely could have had my vengeance realized in earnest instantly by picking up the phone to a LEO of one form or another. I did not. Though I thought about it nearly daily for awhile. I have never so far regretted that decision not to.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 07/27/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Chlin.... not quite that black and white for me. For example a very rural family killing a deer for food in a place with lots of deer doesn't bother me much.
A piece of [bleep] doing it to feed his ego... well that really bothers me

I was referring to the real poachers. And Game hogs.
If they need food, I’d have no problem giving them a deer I legally tagged.

I’ve killed a lot of deer on management hunts on a Ranch I managed, and when doing management hunts in College for Wildlife and Fisheries Science. We donated them to either the Salvation Army or often the Local Food Bank.

Although nowadays, I think they’ve put a stop to that due to CWD scares.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/27/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Calling the law on somebody is not something I recommend . Kinda gay

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd drop a dime on his sorry, poaching ass!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Is that the "I don't want to get involved" mentality?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Killing game to feed a family is something I can overlook. This guy is blatantly breaking the games laws for no other reason than he wants to.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Is that the "I don't want to get involved" mentality?

I wouldn’t quite call it that either. It’s a personal decision only the OP can make. Or only any of us could make in similar circumstances. A very individual thing. And I agree it’s kind of a knives edge to walk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Burn him can’t believe your even asking…

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,280
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.