Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I’ll be pushing for a new bear release area at Zilker Park just across the river from beautiful downtown Austin! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think that second Grizz was saying, "I wants me some man meat!!!" grin

Probably find one, too, wearing a back pack and sneakers. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That second one is going to be in the news come bow season. He’s ready to tear the head off the first human he can find. If we gotta have grizzlies that we can’t hunt, I’m all for capturing every damn one of them and fitting them with a gps collar, then having a app that will tell us users of the habitat they live in where every single one is so we can avoid it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Years ago I was working a F&G FishTech summer job above Ruby, Alaska, and caught a ride down to Galena with a local fisherman- well fisher girl (and a damned beautiful one too!!!!) , making fish delivery. I had a canoe in storage down there I had to see about getting moved up to the camp for moose season. The boat was loaded pretty heavy, but up on plane, barely, throwing a big wake.

We came on a grizzly swimming the Yukon, and Valerie said "Watch this!", and went by the bear about 30 feet away. We just rolled that sucker!

When it climbed out on shore it was so mad it just pogo- ed up and down on all four stiffened legs, daring us to come ashore for a discussion about our behavior.

Later, we heard some rascally bear tore up a half-dozen fish camps that night along that stretch of river.

I'm sure it was just coincidence......... smile

Another case of what seemed like a good idea at the time that wasn't worth a schit! Funny as hell tho.

Some years ago F&G did some bear removal during spring calving season near McGrath, removing mostly black bears from an area to try to increase moose calf survival rate. They took all the single bears they could , leaving sows with cubs alone. Ended up moving 2-3 times as many as pre-effort estimated they would.

One bear they moved 60 miles was back a couple days later.

The experiment was fairly successful tho - calf survival went up significantly. Just a few weeks relief before the bear population filled back in was all it took for many more calves to become far less helpless.

Last edited by las; 07/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ll be pushing for a new bear release area at Zilker Park just across the river from beautiful downtown Austin! 😉

LOL

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
That second one is going to be in the news come bow season. He’s ready to tear the head off the first human he can find. If we gotta have grizzlies that we can’t hunt, I’m all for capturing every damn one of them and fitting them with a gps collar, then having a app that will tell us users of the habitat they live in where every single one is so we can avoid it.

Maybe add a shock function to the collars so they all get a jolt if they come within 50 yards of a person. Of course you'd have to sell or rent the human carried transmitters. Hmmmm, a business opportunity is slowly evolving in my mind.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Our ticks are meaner than that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably already familiar stuff for those familiar with the Cabinets....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Probably already familiar stuff for those familiar with the Cabinets....

I was just up in the cabinets berry picking. People that dont live in grizzly country love them.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cool. Definitely a fluff piece, but cool.

What was Irene doing when she was "killed by a hunter"? As Ron White would say, "That's an important piece of information" ! Notable in it's absence.

In one of the Sackett books is the statement (possibly paraphrased), " It's fascinating how filled up a country can get with just you and a grizzly in it!".

So true! I have several (brown bears- coastal version of griz- for neighbors. ). Mostly they are no problem- don't even see them- if one isn't doing something stupid like keeping poultry, feeding the dog outdoors or leaving garbage out. With more abundant resources, they tend to be more mild mannered than interior bears, I'm told.

Mostly - there have been at least 3 attacks in SC Alaska since this spring, which is unusually high.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
According the bear gun threads, a 9mm could easily stop all that bear adrenaline.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
According the bear gun threads, a 9mm could easily stop all that bear adrenaline.

Not "easily".....in a pistol. A heavy bullet in a big fat rifle cartridge - then it gets better, in theory.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OK what's the new way to post video's ? - copying the browser addy , leaving the http// off , just copy the www. part always worked - hasn't worked in month's ?? Any help . . .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iF7If6pk4&ab_channel=TonyBoy

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dangerous sumbeeches. But oh, so many people feel good "just knowing there's bears." Thousands of miles away.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
OK what's the new way to post video's ? - copying the browser addy , leaving the http// off , just copy the www. part always worked - hasn't worked in month's ?? Any help . . .

Under the youtube video it says "share" click/copy then paste using the full editor like you use to

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Dangerous sumbeeches. But oh, so many people feel good "just knowing there's bears." Thousands of miles away.

They can be- it's a matter of perspective. I rather liked her at 100 yards or more, getting out of Dodge. Not so much at 3 yards.... where I had other concerns than taking a picture.... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Closet I've been is maybe 10 yards of brush away. Not pleasant at all. Softly, softly.....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Under the youtube video it says "share" click/copy then paste using the full editor like you use to

Thanks LH700 worked perfect !!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

when in grizz country there is...at least for me....a heightened sense of awareness ....when you do see them you gotta admit its pretty cool.......bob

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
270Winchester: From what I have seen of Grizzled Bears throughout the west, Canada and Alaska... YOU, don't want one biting into and tearing at your flesh.
That is all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.