Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I don't do rodents...Some folks up in PA do eat them. I'd pass..

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ and i prefer corn fed angus beef

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by reivertom
There's no doubt some of my ancestors ate Whistle Pig. In the Southern Mountains, every critter was tried (and fried) at one time or another. Hard times call for desperate measures.

On the 2nd to last day of a grueling moose hunt in NH's White Mountains (D1) after some 14 hours and at least 10 miles in rough terrain, including humping neck deep beaver swamps, we finally busted through the bush near the Canada border on rt. 3. We were into the 90th hour of what was for me the most brutal and physically demanding hunt of my life. We were out of water, completely gassed and half delirious when we arrived at the state trout hatchery. The live-in employee had just arrived at the caretaker's cabin as we staggered in. The 1st thing he said was, 'you kids look a bit dehydrated. Want some cold spring water?' In the next 15 minutes I literally downed 2 GALLONS of water. After, Natureman Jim as he called himself, offered me, Mrs. KG and our 72 years young guide a pile of sandwiches. "Thanks for your kindness and generosity, Jim", I told him. "No worries, gang. Just got done whipping up a batch. God knows a freshly killed 'chuck sandwich always hits the spot!" I think it was then both me and Mrs. KG lost concsiousness and collapsed in his parlor. Ever since been curious about eating the overgrown rats. True story.

My only takeaway from this above nightmare is, Mrs. Kg is just as crazy as Mr. Kg.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leighton, I don’t eat cat, dog, hamster, mice, or woodchuck.

And don’t tell me it’s chicken, when I can see it had a furry head and tail.

👊🏽🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All animals are made of meat. That's all I'm gonna say.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i grew up in West Virginia in the 60-70's ..granma rolled them in flower and fried them ,mom boiled them ,then baked them with ketchup and chopped up Ramps on them ,..i throw them in the crock pot any of those way's are yum yum

Last edited by rem shooter; 07/31/21.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My maternal grandparents talked about eating them, said the young ones were really good. I've never partaken, but some of those bastards back in PA were big! But we always shot them with deer rifles, so wasn't much left to think about lol.

MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One of the best odd meats that I ever ate was in Peru where they cooked guinea pig over a charcoal fire.
Not those little pets, but big ones, like groundhogs. Tasted like slow cooked spare ribs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WStrayer
One of the best odd meats that I ever ate was in Peru where they cooked guinea pig over a charcoal fire.
Not those little pets, but big ones, like groundhogs. Tasted like slow cooked spare ribs.

I'd eat if for sure if it was being served. Meat is meat at the end of the day. smile.

MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rem shooter
i grew up in West Virginia in the 60-70's ..granma rolled them in flower and fried them ,mom boiled them ,then baked them with ketchup and chopped up Ramps on them ,..i throw them in the crock pot any of those way's are yum yum

What's Ramps?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

What's Ramps?
Grow in the woods in West Virginia ,people dig them up in early spring ,Looks like a small onion ,but with a broad leafy stalk ,has an kinda onion- garlic like taste .People know when you eat it . it do smell bad lol. people will dig up and sale along the road in bread bags ,Vol. Fire Depts will have Ramp dinners to collect money for the Fire Dept. we have Ramp festivals ,good with fried potatoes or by theirselves, it a West Virginia delaciasy

NRA Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

What's Ramps?
Grow in the woods in West Virginia ,people dig them up in early spring ,Looks like a small onion ,but with a broad leafy stalk ,has an kinda onion- garlic like taste .People know when you eat it . it do smell bad lol. people will dig up and sale along the road in bread bags ,Vol. Fire Depts will have Ramp dinners to collect money for the Fire Dept. we have Ramp festivals ,good with fried potatoes or by theirselves, it a West Virginia delaciasy

My dad loves those things. I used to dig him a bunch every spring. He'd eat them raw by the handful right out of the fridge. I don't like them that much myself but they aren't bad in a tater salad.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 57 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.