Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My New Holland tractor has hydraulic fittings that keep destroying o-rings.
They are straight male thread with a jam nut that tightens up the o-ring.
Like this;
https://www.agrisupply.com/1-2-male...msclkid=a648cd7d9b571d662c68ac7f51cbe67d

The other end of the fitting is JIC.

II have worked with these in the past, and really didn’t have a problem with blowing o-rings.
Whenever I removed one of these fittings I would always screw them in till the o-ring seats on the fitting and the threaded port matched up making an even V.

There’s one fitting, the rod end of the loader boom/arm cylinder that’s mostly the problem.
Is there something that’s wrong with my setup method that would cause premature o-ring failure?
I guess I could go shopping for and o-ring with a larger thickness to take up more room under the jam washer.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
can you ask the local dealer's shop foreman about it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Might screw them down some more then tighten the jam nut.

I believe that it will last longer.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That sounds odd. I try to keep the Oring sort of centered, away from either threaded part but I don't know that it's critical. I don't think I've ever blown such an Oring. Never changed an Oring only, but I have had bad fittings that would have tiny leaks. (Used parts)

I'd look closely at the cylinder where it threads in. If you don't see a flaw there try a different brand of fitting.

I personally wouldn't try a different size Oring, I think that's just asking for a leak.

Just my .02.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Might screw them down some more then tighten the jam nut.

I believe that it will last longer.

+1

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
On the rod end? Not the gland end?

Hmmm....rubber hose to the fitting or steel?

No chance something is getting torqued out of shape is there?

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
ORB system...it's O-ring boss, you are probably using O-rings from a standard "dash size" kit...no, no don't do that...buy a kit from on-line or any hyd dealer...SPECIFICALLY the ORB O-rings which usually have a higher durometer and smaller cross section diameter which is designed to exactly fit in the chamfer of the female port. When re-installing the fitting, insure that when the jam nut is tightened the new O-ring is centered in the smooth portion of the fitting. The jam washer and smooth portion of the fitting and the chamfer should be free of obvious nicks and grooves.Forget torque and rocket science, just tighten the goddam thing up with a crescent wrench or whatever is rattling around in your machines tool box. 55 years in the trade.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a hydraulic shop. What O-rings are you using? The fitting in the pic is O-Ring Boss thread, the port it threads into will have a recess for the o-ring. If that is what you are using it takes an SAE O-ring Boss BUNA O-ring, just any old o-ring will not work and will fail. Any hydraulic shop will have o-ring kits for ORB fittings (they come in standard sizes) and many will just give you an o-ring or two, at least that is what we do in our shop.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is an ORB - oring boss- fitting. The orings are a specific size for that Fitting. You can find the oring aftermarket but it won’t be at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Oil the oring to begin with.
The correct installation is run the jam nut all the way back. Thread the fitting Until the oring touches, if the fitting is not oriented correctly, turn the fitting CCW up to one turn to orient as needed.

Tighten the jam nut using a back up wrench to keep from twisting the oring. If it still leaks, check the area in the cylinder where the oring sits.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I own a hydraulic shop. What O-rings are you using? The fitting in the pic is O-Ring Boss thread, the port it threads into will have a recess for the o-ring. If that is what you are using it takes an SAE O-ring Boss BUNA O-ring, just any old o-ring will not work and will fail. Any hydraulic shop will have o-ring kits for ORB fittings (they come in standard sizes) and many will just give you an o-ring or two, at least that is what we do in our shop.

This! Squirrelnut knows what he is talking about!

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
That is an ORB - oring boss- fitting. The orings are a specific size for that Fitting. You can find the oring aftermarket but it won’t be at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Oil the oring to begin with.
The correct installation is run the jam nut all the way back. Thread the fitting Until the oring touches, if the fitting is not oriented correctly, turn the fitting CCW up to one turn to orient as needed.

Tighten the jam nut using a back up wrench to keep from twisting the oring. If it still leaks, check the area in the cylinder where the oring sits.

I have only used NH parts so far, and yes I am aware of correct o-ring material for the system.

Thanks for the assembly procedure, I probably need to screw the fitting in more, I don’t recall screwing it in that far.
I have looked at all port and fitting surfaces with a magnifying glass. Everything looks fine, no cracks or rough spots.
I can’t tell you how many of these fittings I replaced when I was working and never had a problem with that O ring boss end, it was always the tapered ends. Gorillas can deform them a surprising amount.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 07/29/21.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.