Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone have any reviews of them, I know we have a few humming bird enthusiasts like myself on here. I never heard of them until I saw them in a local store. Seems they use bananas to attract fruit flys to feed the humming birds which is new to me

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, sign me up. Heck of an idea. Now where do I get one? We just put out our sugar water feeder over the weekend. A fruit fly has to be more nutritious than sugar water.

Yep, just Googled the thing and Amazon has them. Ours will be here Wednesday.

Last edited by Windfall; 05/03/21.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hummies eat a lot of insects, particularly when they're feeding their little bubbies. Insects and pollen provide the protein that nectar doesn't.

But $35 for that feeder?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Never heard of such a thing. I showed it to The Mrs. I guess one will soon be getting delivered here.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$25.00 on Ebay.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Great i think I will get one or two from the local store, I never knew humming birds ate insects

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just ordered one for $25 on Amazon.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Device sure seemed to interest them.

Not seeing much feeding?

...course, only made it to a minute or so in.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They come here and stay because we have lots of flowers they feed on. Fun to watch. Every now and then I see one zip out from a resting position and snag a flying insect.

What I feed, aside from seed-eaters, is catbirds. They like oranges, cut in half. Once I get them coming into the oranges, I start tossing them blueberries or cherries. Then the robins move in, and the games begin. The robins are strong, but the catbirds are fast and tricky. They're also very sociable, and will come quite close once they get used to you.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The coast here has been packed with migrating catbirds for the last two weeks at least, coming in of the Gulf, tours should be arriving any day.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm west coast and never heard of a catbird?

Would you be so kind as to post a picture?

Thanks!

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Thanks!

Virgil B.

Mocking bird. And they can be a real PITA!

Last edited by Sbrown; 05/04/21.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fed a resident Mockingbird green grapes through the devastating winter ice age we experienced here in Oklahoma and TX>

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, time to compare notes on how well this thing works. We’ve had ours nearly three months now, gone through lots of bananas and have raised thousands of fruit flies. Thus far the only thing I’ve been able to tell is that I’ve let a few more fruit flies into the house when I open the door. We have several pair of hummingbirds and while they use the sugar water feeder daily, I’ve only seen one ever spend any time looking at the Humm-Bug.

Looking at it from a fruit fly’s perspective, why would they want to go outside that thing where they could be eaten? They have all the ripe fruit they want, hundreds of their buddies are in there with them, a target rich environment for breeding, out of the weather with a roof over their head. I open that thing up to put a new banana into it and lots of those flies come out. Are any of you with one of these things feeding birds with them? I might be giving a fruit fly too much credit for staying inside, but thats what ours do so nothing eats them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Thanks!

Virgil B.

Mocking bird. And they can be a real PITA!

Cat birds look like mockingbirds but they’re not the same. They don’t have any white wing or tail patches but they do have a dark or black cap and a red patch under the base fo the tail. When they call they sorta sound like a cat mewing.

Last edited by navlav8r; 07/29/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. They consume a lot of bugs. Really hit our plum tree that's always fighting an aphid attack.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I told my boss about them and she promptly ordered one. She told me today that the hummingbirds are feasting on those fruit flies.
Guess I'll have to order one for our backyard.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will be getting one, have a lot of hummers. I have always wondered why they don't eat the ants that get on the feeders.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
Okay, time to compare notes on how well this thing works. We’ve had ours nearly three months now, gone through lots of bananas and have raised thousands of fruit flies. Thus far the only thing I’ve been able to tell is that I’ve let a few more fruit flies into the house when I open the door. We have several pair of hummingbirds and while they use the sugar water feeder daily, I’ve only seen one ever spend any time looking at the Humm-Bug.

Looking at it from a fruit fly’s perspective, why would they want to go outside that thing where they could be eaten? They have all the ripe fruit they want, hundreds of their buddies are in there with them, a target rich environment for breeding, out of the weather with a roof over their head. I open that thing up to put a new banana into it and lots of those flies come out. Are any of you with one of these things feeding birds with them? I might be giving a fruit fly too much credit for staying inside, but thats what ours do so nothing eats them.

Think I’ll pass on feeding the damned fruit flies.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Send me your phone number and I will send you video

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 26 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.