-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some things you just gotta experience. What a coonass is right now is HOT and hoping not to get wrecked by hurricanes again this year.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Spanish vara leagues and French arpents! Gotta love em!

I had a farm on the Cane River below the dam, extended to the Red Dirt hills. It was in arpents. I-49 cut it in half. I sold the halves to different buyers.

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I had a farm on the Cane River below the dam, extended to the Red Dirt hills. It was in arpents. I-49 cut it in half. I sold the halves to different buyers.

DF

Then I’ve driven thru it! LOL! Yeah. Look at those old surveys. Those arpents were long and narrow and usually terminated at a navigable waterway.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Then I’ve driven thru it! LOL! Yeah. Look at those old surveys. Those arpents were long and narrow and usually terminated at a navigable waterway.

That describes this tract to a "T"....

Once sliced in two by I-49, one could get to the Cane River part by exiting at Derry and following the Cane River.

The other half could be accessed by back roads that follow Bayou Derbonne.

DF

W
W
Always heard born north of I-10 you are a redass born south of I-10 you are a coonass.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wh06
Always heard born north of I-10 you are a redass born south of I-10 you are a coonass.

Among the many truths that’s another one.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
when I first clicked on this thread I thought it was gonna be about a fungal infection or something, like baboon ass or it’s ilk lol.

Last edited by mauserator; 07/29/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

DF

French Law.

Look at the picture map of Plantations along the Mississippi River from New Orleans up to Natchez. Very prevalent in illustrating the river’s access

I have one of these maps framed in cypress that came from a slave outhouse in West Baton Rouge Parish along with more of the same of framed prints by the artist, Robert Rucker.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mauserator
when I first clicked on this thread I thought it was gonna be about a fungal infection or something, like baboon ass or it’s ilk lol.

Close enough.
Grins

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

DF

French Law.

Look at the picture map of Plantations along the Mississippi River from New Orleans up to Natchez. Very prevalent in illustrating the river’s access

I have one of these maps framed in cypress that came from a slave outhouse in West Baton Rouge Parish along with more of the same of framed prints by the artist, Robert Rucker.

I have spent my life near the Bayou Teche. There are several towns with roads named 40 Arpent.

Arpent can either be a linear measurement or a square measurement.

From the web:

The arpent, a French system of land division, has left a lasting mark on the landscape, which is still evident today. Measuring between 2 and 4 arpents wide and 40 to 60 arpents from bayou to marsh, this system facilitated a coexistence with a constantly fluctuating landscape.1, 3 (A single arpent is approximately 192 ft., and a square arpent, also known as an arpent, is approximately 0.84 acres.) Commonly referred to as a “long-lot”, the arpent granted residents access to the bayou for transportation purposes, natural high ground for building, areas for cultivation, and fishing within low lying marsh. The natural change in topography channeled water from high to low ground within each parcel. This system enabled and sustained a distinct lifestyle organized around a unique and increasingly fragile environment.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mike70560

DF

French Law.

I have spent my life near the Bayou Teche. There are several towns with roads named 40 Arpent.

From the web:

The arpent, a French system of land division, has left a lasting mark on the landscape, which is still evident today. Measuring between 2 and 4 arpents wide and 40 to 60 arpents from bayou to marsh, this system facilitated a coexistence with a constantly fluctuating landscape.1, 3 (A single arpent is approximately 192 ft., and a square arpent, also known as an arpent, is approximately 0.84 acres.) Commonly referred to as a “long-lot”, the arpent granted residents access to the bayou for transportation purposes, natural high ground for building, areas for cultivation, and fishing within low lying marsh. The natural change in topography channeled water from high to low ground within each parcel. This system enabled and sustained a distinct lifestyle organized around a unique and increasingly fragile environment.

Hard to believe now that the Teche and the Lafourche bayous were once the main channels of the Mississippi River.

There was a great documentary years ago called Old Man River (I believe) and it was 1 hour per episode on Monday through Thursday with the total 4 hours shown all together on Friday. It covered the eons of the various channels that the river varied from over time up to the present course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
From my time on the gulf coast it was the same as a Cajun

yep

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mike70560

DF

French Law.

From the web:

Hard to believe now that the Teche and the Lafourche bayous were once the main channels of the Mississippi River.

There was a great documentary years ago called Old Man River (I believe) and it was 1 hour per episode on Monday through Thursday with the total 4 hours shown all together on Friday. It covered the eons of the various channels that the river varied from over time up to the present course.

Army Corps works hard to keep it from rechanneling thru the Atchafalaya to Morgan City, which would wipe out Morgan City, leave BR and NO with much less river.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coonass - is a Cajun.

It is derived from the fact that in the Summer time, they tan black.

... but have white stripes on the parts normally hidden.

...so they look kinda like raccoons.

GR

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I heard one say he was a Cajun by choice, not by birth.

No argument here.

They know how to “pass a good time”. And they do know how to cook. Yankee food seems sorta bland in comparison.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess who’s family owned the Poverty Point site???

That would be my family.

Redbones

Lots of Redbones around Boyce, Simpson, Flatwoods, Burnstown area.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Guess who’s family owned the Poverty Point site???

That would be my family.

Redbones

Lots of Redbones around Boyce, Simpson, Flatwoods, Burnstown area.

Add Pitkin, Sugartown to the list.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Being an outfitter for quite a few years I had a lot of Louisiana hunters. I didn’t have to say a word. Within five minutes upon arrival a coonass made damn sure I knew he wasn’t a redneck. Upon arrival a redneck wanted me to know for damn sure he wasn’t a coonass. Always laughed, I could tell without them telling me. Them boys didn’t like each other. Always had to watch the Louisiana hunters real close. They’re hard on game populations. That’s why they came to Texas to hunt, not much left and home. They only know two seasonings, salt and pepper. Always a lot of fun but you better damn sure s keep a tight rein on them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Army Corps works hard to keep it from rechanneling thru the Atchafalaya to Morgan City, which would wipe out Morgan City, leave BR and NO with much less river.

DF

Here's the Wikipedia article on the Old River Control Structure that keeps the river on it's present course. If the Corps of Engineers hadn't built it the river would have already switched to the Atchafalaya Basin. Pretty fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wh06

I always heard that if you’re from the south you’re a dumb fugk and that Texans are ten steps beneath that.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.