Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve never ate coons.

Next to hunting camp lived an elderly colored man. Retired from the “Ermy”. He kinda watched over stuff when no one was around. He let us hunt a 40 acre thicker he had and we gave him several deer each season.

One morning i ran some coin traps. Caught prolly 6 or 8. Dispatched them.

Knocked on his door, Mr John. Want a couple fresh coons?

Sure. How many you got? 8.

He came out door, whooping and hollering. Doing the happy dance. Pulled out his ancient flip phone calling ppl. You’d think i given him a stack of t-bones. 😂😂

When we were trapping and killing coons some were skinned and some were sold whole frozen depending on who was buying.

There were some blacks that loved them, told us they'd pay for them, we just gave them away.

Found out later they not only ate them but were selling the male coon dicks for good money, seems some of the blacks thought it was big medicine or some such chit. "brother spoon" said he was some kind of preacher but he scammed a lot of blacks with stuff like "court powder", tell them to sprinkle some on their head before they went into the court house and they'd be let off easy.

I half expected to see Mizz Rudolph and a 3 legged monkey around there anytime.

.com/listing/567505291/coon-dick-to...pick for 1 Usable Toothpick Made In USA

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

Video: How to Make a Raccoon Baculum Toothpick

It seems like every southern state has adopted the raccoon baculum as their own. You may have heard it called the "Texas Toothpick," "Arkansas Toothpick," or "(insert your favorite state) Toothpick." Regardless of where it originated, the curved penis bone of the raccoon is one of the most unique bones in the mammal kingdom. Native Americans used the bone to pack pipes for smoking. People use them ornamentally as necklaces. If you have a set, they can be used as horderve forks. However, the most functional use for the non-tobacco user is as a toothpick.

By grinding the tip down you can reach those hard to get to spots in the back of the mouth. It's not much different than a modern dentist's pick. In this video I'll teach you how to extract a baculum, clean it with dish soap and hydrogen peroxide, then grind the tip. In terms of specifics, boil the baculum in water with a squirt of dish soap for five minutes. Then use "40 Volume Clear Developer" hydrogen peroxide to whiten the bone. This can be purchased for cheap online or at a local salon supply store. I used a 50/50 mix of water and peroxide.

Call it hillbilly, or whatever you want, but I'll bet you a tanned coonhide you'll be the only one on the block with one of these classy tools.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Morning Dwayne!

Those are black tailed jackrabbits.

VERY plentiful out west, and usually a non-game animal with no closed season, and no bag limit.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DAMN... that looks fun...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dwayne,

Happy Fathers Day to you too my Friend!

These are all Jacks.

Cottontails would be worth eating unlike nasty old jacks, and I lay into the Jacks. I normally give the little Cottontails a free pass unless I am going to eat one. There are but a fraction of them as compared to the desert jacks, which are just vermin, so we let the little Cottontails go and hope they survive.

When I do shoot a cottontail I only take what I need for a meal, no more.

The old Flattop is what I call my "Taffin" gun in honor of writer John Taffin. Many years ago I traveled over to Boise to go to a gun show with a friend who is the co owner of Milt Sparks. He built the holster for the gun:

Anyways Jim and I had breakfast with J.T. and I told John that I was looking for a shorter barrel and some grips for the gun as it came with a 6.5" barrel originally. Long story short, John invited me over to his house, and gave me both a grip frame and shorter barrel. He showed me how to swap frames on the gun and we swapped the frames in his kitchen. So since then I have referred to the gun as my Taffin gun. It was a very rough old thing when I got it, and appears to have been in the bottom of someone's truck box for a long time, but internally it is solid and shoots straight, as the rabbits will attest.

I never worry about taking it out in crappy weather or getting a bit of rust on it. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Red squirrels

The way life should be.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It took several pages, but somebody finally mentioned Viet Cong. Our favorite weapon was a 750 pound bomb from a B-52!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lynx is our traditional Christmas dinner. Usually sweet and sour. Mountain lion is also very good.

Worst I ever tried was sea otter. Even fall brown bear was better!

Muskrats were called marsh hare for years.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to run a trapline when I was a kid and we targeted coyotes, foxes and bobcats. All we took were pelts to sell so we never kept the meat. We would catch a few coons, muskrats and beaver and could give those to people that would eat them. I have eaten bobcat since then and wish I had kept the meat but I was a kid and that was how I got spending $$$.

The only thing I have actively hunted that wasn't eaten was a Vaal Rhebok in South Africa. After I shot it and had it skinned for a lifesize mount the PH told me they would leave the carcass in the field, which was unusual since they always took the meat back to camp on other animals. I asked why and the PH took out a knife and sliced into a hind quarter and it was crawling with worms in the meat. PH told me they a host for a fly larvae and that they all had them in the meat and that they are the only small antelope in Africa that is not utilized. If I had known that beforehand I wouldn't have shot it but it was already skinned when I found out.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll eat almost anything if it doesn’t smell bad and someone else cooks it. 😎

When we lived in Florida my summer trap line was moles. I am pretty sure this is where I deal the line. 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay;
Thanks for the reply and further photos, I appreciate it.

We've eaten a couple Saskatchewan Jack rabbits back in the day and I don't recall them being wonderful table fare at all, no...

That said Mackay, I did know I'd married the right woman when she'd answer my VHF radio call from the tractor announcing I'd "shot something for supper" in a positive if not sometimes tentative manner! laugh

As an aside and off topic, I really love the bound edge hat too. I've never owned one or even tried one on, but like a big Buckaroo straw hat they look right on some folks.

The Taffin revolver has a wonderful story and I enjoyed reading about it, so thanks again.

All the best to you all down south and God Bless you on Father's Day sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rockinbbar;
Morning sir, I hope the day's a good one for you in your part of Texas.

Thanks for the info on the type of bunny, I appreciate you answering my query.

All the best to you and Happy Father's Day too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Anybody mention feral cats?
Lots of feral cats.
Although I don't think the ones wearing collars were all that feral.

Had to protect my baby chicks and ducklings.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne,

These are all Jacks.

Cottontails would be worth eating unlike nasty old jacks, and I lay into the Jacks. I normally give the little Cottontails a free pass unless I am going to eat one. There are but a fraction of them as compared to the desert jacks, which are just vermin, so we let the little Cottontails go and hope they survive.

The old Flattop is what I call my "Taffin" gun in honor of writer John Taffin. Many years ago I traveled over to Boise to go to a gun show with a friend who is the co owner of Milt Sparks. He built the holster for the gun:

Anyways Jim and I had breakfast with J.T. and I told John that I was looking for a shorter barrel and some grips for the gun as it came with a 6.5" barrel originally. Long story short, John invited me over to his house, and gave me both a grip frame and shorter barrel. He showed me how to swap frames on the gun and we swapped the frames in his kitchen. So since then I have referred to the gun as my Taffin gun. It was a very rough old thing when I got it, and appears to have been in the bottom of someone's truck box for a long time, but internally it is solid and shoots straight, as the rabbits will attest.

I never worry about taking it out in crappy weather or getting a bit of rust on it. smile

Mackay:

Do you ever take your revolver and wander up the Pahsimeroi Valley looking for jacks? That would have to be a cool adventure.

Greg Perry

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Anybody mention feral cats?

The local oriental restaurant will buy those things- - - - - -"Filet Meow"

During the depression my great grandfather used to head shoot cottontail rabbits with a .22 rifle, field dress, and sell them to local grocery stores. He had to leave the ears on and unskinned to convince them he was not selling cats. With the skin and head off, cats and rabbits look surprisingly similar.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=JeffP][Linked Image]

——————————

If you didn’t request that pose, I hope he didn’t charge you for it.

OTOH I might choose it for laughs.
NO offense intended.

That is one ugly Chihuahua 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's no critter i wouldn't eat if i was very very hungry, but i avoid Aoudad, and Javelina, normally. Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Copperheads

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gaperry59
Dwayne,

These are all Jacks.

Mackay:

Do you ever take your revolver and wander up the Pahsimeroi Valley looking for jacks? That would have to be a cool adventure.

Greg Perry

Greg,

Yep.

I have spent countless hours on the Pahsimeroi.

I don't think I have pics of that particular revolver, but plenty of others.

And this is Horse Heaven Pass, same place Keith took this Jack.

Sorry for the "sanitized" I was working a different job back then.

Same .44 I use to kill elk I use to kill Squirrels

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pahsimeroi Valley

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lessdog, 12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.