Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy
Kaywoodie,

Did I say something untrue, or even untoward? Texas fought a war against Mexico, and another against the United States to preserve slavery. We’re other reasons given to dress up a document or two? Sure, but to say that Texian slave owners seceded over marauding Comanche, or Mexican bandits, respectfully, I can’t buy any part of that.

From the 1836 Constitution of the Republic of Texas:

SEC. 9. All persons of color who were slaves for life previous to their emigration to Texas, and who are now held in bondage, shall remain in the like state of servitude, provide the said slave shall be the bona fide property of the person so holding said slave as aforesaid. Congress shall pass no laws to prohibit emigrants from the United States of America from bringing their slaves into the Republic with them, and holding them by the same tenure by which such slaves were held in the United States; nor shall Congress have power to emancipate slaves; nor shall any slave-holder be allowed to emancipate his or her slave or slaves, without the consent of Congress, unless he or she shall send his or her slave or slaves without the limits of the Republic. No free person of African descent, either in whole or in part, shall be permitted to reside permanently in the Republic, without the consent of Congress, and the importation or admission of Africans or negroes into this Republic, excepting from the United States of America, is forever prohibited, and declared to be piracy.

Oh, I expect you must be reading the new book “Forget the Alamo”, latest tome from the Cancel Culture. Friend of mine is reading it, he says the first five chapters are about slavery.

IIRC the provisions re: Slavery were about like any Southern State at the time, including freed slaves having to leave the State. Worth noting those freed slaves had better not have been planning to move to Illinois, Mr Lincoln’s home state, because Black folks weren’t allowed to move there either.

Anyhoo... here’s the Texas Declaration of Independence as of March 2nd 1836... nary a word about slavery.....

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/treasures/republic/odeclar-01.html

And not only was the declaration printed for the masses in English, but also in Spanish!

Those racist bastids!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy
Kaywoodie,

Did I say something untrue, or even untoward? Texas fought a war against Mexico, and another against the United States to preserve slavery. We’re other reasons given to dress up a document or two? Sure, but to say that Texian slave owners seceded over marauding Comanche, or Mexican bandits, respectfully, I can’t buy any part of that.

From the 1836 Constitution of the Republic of Texas:

SEC. 9. All persons of color who were slaves for life previous to their emigration to Texas, and who are now held in bondage, shall remain in the like state of servitude, provide the said slave shall be the bona fide property of the person so holding said slave as aforesaid. Congress shall pass no laws to prohibit emigrants from the United States of America from bringing their slaves into the Republic with them, and holding them by the same tenure by which such slaves were held in the United States; nor shall Congress have power to emancipate slaves; nor shall any slave-holder be allowed to emancipate his or her slave or slaves, without the consent of Congress, unless he or she shall send his or her slave or slaves without the limits of the Republic. No free person of African descent, either in whole or in part, shall be permitted to reside permanently in the Republic, without the consent of Congress, and the importation or admission of Africans or negroes into this Republic, excepting from the United States of America, is forever prohibited, and declared to be piracy.

Oh, I expect you must be reading the new book “Forget the Alamo”, latest tome from the Cancel Culture. Friend of mine is reading it, he says the first five chapters are about slavery.

IIRC the provisions re: Slavery were about like any Southern State at the time, including freed slaves having to leave the State. Worth noting those freed slaves had better not have been planning to move to Illinois, Mr Lincoln’s home state, because Black folks weren’t allowed to move there either.

Anyhoo... here’s the Texas Declaration of Independence as of March 2nd 1836... nary a word about slavery.....

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/treasures/republic/odeclar-01.html

And not only was the declaration printed for the masses in English, but also in Spanish!

Those racist bastids!

And whether you like it or not, slavery was a legal institution in the USA. Why wouldn’t Texas go ahead and codify the question?

There was no military campaign against the natives or the marauding mexicans performed by US Troops between 1845 and 1860. Matter of fact the 2nd US Cav was pulled out of Texas for Utah in 1858.

The antelope creek campaign of 1858 was conducted by Texas forces.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/02/21.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Birdy,

I believe its pretty common knowledge now that even tho freed slaves were "not allowed" to live in Texas, they were actually everywhere. I don’t believe they really started hammering hard on this until the late 50’s, early 60’s.

It also appears that if one does any research they will find that the Mexican govt. tolerated chattel slavery for years. All way up to the revolution. It seems that everytime the question of came up amongst
Mexican officials the slaves were simply written off as indentured servants. This happened time and time again. As I stated earlier peonage was the norm in Mexico.

The reason they tolerated slavery was because someone was making them money!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's a Mexican city in Coahuila state called Nacimiento de los Negros (Birthplace of the Blacks).

It's a village founded by blacks escaping slavery. It's still there.

The Mexicans allowed them there, but they were hated, and despised. The blacks were known to be thieves and outlaws, and often shot on sight when caught on ranches away from the village.

As "racist" as it sounds, I personally witnessed the scorn from Mexicans towards these people, and heard many tales of them being caught stealing, or butchering cattle, and being summarily executed on the spot... This was the 1990's. Not 1800's. crazy

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya well, if ya ask me that durned New Yorker Deaf Smith was a notorious miscegenationist, marrying as he did a young Tejana widowed mother of three daughters. Ruiz clan, vaqueros, living right by Mission San Jose

To top it off he lets his stepdaughter marry a Black guy called Hendrick Arnold AND goes buffalo hunting with the guy way the heck out in the sticks, Comanches be damned. OK so Hendrick Arnold’s own previous daughter by a slave woman was technically also his slave. Not exactly sure of the specifics, prob’ly was all for the best at the time....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_Smith

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arnold-hendrick

Anyhow, both these guys contributed more than most to the Texian cause.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 08/02/21.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remember Jarred Groce from the lower Brazos plantation. 1820’s. . He had all 40 of his male "slaves" well mounted and well armed with firelocks to counter the local karankawa and attackapaw.

Slaves with arms!!! How diabolical!!!

That was against the law!!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Remember Jarred Groce from the lower Brazos plantation. 1820’s. . He had all 40 of his male "slaves" well mounted and well armed with firelocks to counter the local karankawa and attackapaw.

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yet our current president still wants to outlaw those evil weapons.
Those who won't learn from history, etc,etc.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (338rcm, 2UP, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 35, 14 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,504
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.