Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We'll be in the area again first 2 weeks of December, definately looking into this. Thanks for posting Ron.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB4

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Watched the video. Looks like just enough obstacles to keep it interesting. Crown King looks like a nice place to camp overnight.

As a long time four wheeler in S Az. I wore out my first suburban 4 x 4 with body cracks all over it due to crossups and nasty rough roads with over 300,000 miles , a 73, and now have a 3/4 ton 87 that is about to show 450,000. Just saying I am not new to this activity.

I can't help but notice many of the vehicles had huge tires with rims that put them well outside the body. IMO it is a mistake. Look at footage 14.38 where a sidewall is being needlessly rubbed against a rock. Sidewalls take far more abuse and flats will be more common due to sidewall cuts. I know because in the early 80s I ran 12.5s x 33s and cut through them often. The right front tire gets the most abuse because you cannot see where it is hitting without a spotter. Some may say that large tires will give you a softer ride and to some extent that is true but with such a huge footprint the pounds per square inch are low and cause more tire spin. Big wide tires are great for floatation on sand but unless the vehicle is used around Yuma or the driver goes in washes all the time IMO they are a poor choice for off road. Most of these vehicles use highways more often than they go offroad and on the highway should one encounter a large puddle where hydroplaning is a real threat. I know! I hydroplaned at 70 mph and could go lock to lock with steering wheel with absolutely no effect. I got rid of those 12.5 x 33 the next day. Now I run load range E 235/85-16s. I never have traction issues and it reduced the flats. Narrow tires also get to the bottom of snow and mud. I have left friends and their vehicles who ran wide tires on steep wet jeep trails who did nothing but spin. In addition to traction issues the wheels and tires on some of those vehicles are putting a huge strain on the relatively small wheel bearings like those that are used on a jeep.

I did notice that many of the vehicles had some type of positraction or locker which does make a huge difference. (Know the Rubicon comes with front and rear air lockers) (I have a detroit locker in the rear of my 14 bolt diff) Thought I would point out these things for anyone who may be new to off roading in Az. A front posi or locker is great for occasional use but it is best to have the ability to disconnect it or you are constantly fighting the steering which wants to be centered.

I am sure I'll get my share of detractors for my comments. I just had to share my thoughts.

I agree with your thoughts also.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a particular affinity for that neck of the woods. cleator is mentioned in the video and turkey keep. my fathers ranch back in the 2 0's was right there. the ranch is still there.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have a particular affinity for that neck of the woods. cleator is mentioned in the video and turkey keep. my fathers ranch back in the 2 0's was right there. the ranch is still there.

You come from togh stock sir. Our family place is in a western Oregon Eden comparatively.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.