-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just helped me buy a gun OP. Reading through this thread reminded me how much I’ve been wanting a pre 64 model 70 and a S&W 586 or 686. I just placed the winning bid on a S&W no dash nickel plated 586 with original box:)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You just helped me buy a gun OP. Reading through this thread reminded me how much I’ve been wanting a pre 64 model 70 and a S&W 586 or 686. I just placed the winning bid on a S&W no dash nickel plated 586 with original box:)

Just in case you weren't aware.

https://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The guns, gear, boots etc are all far better now than when I was a kid. What I miss is wide open spaces w/ 1/2 the population. The guys I regularly shoot with are 1/2 my age, skilled and always eager to learn and try new stuff. I feel lucky that they want to hang w/ me.

What really sucks is trying to get good tags on a regular basis and not being able to walk uphill alll day w/ a big pack.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Just in case you weren't aware.

https://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

Thanks Ray. It has the M stamp.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

I would have told you a 686 was a better revolver. I wouldn't mind owning an older Python though.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
76 and been a gun guy since I found a 1944 Gun Digest of dads. Starting to read with it was way more fun than the Dick dickin Jane books we had in school. I met a few of the lesser writers, Monte, Steindler, Ackerman and corresponded with Skelton and others. Several of my friends were into it and we were in the golden age (58-65) of surplus gems. I bought something every two weeks. Now, I have a few friends in my gun club, older like myself who know guns but most are specialized into rimfires, cast bullets, tactical handguns, ARs and such. 96% of my collection is walnut and blue steel. I'm the club guru on reloading which is scary but I've saved a few eyes or hands, I'm sure. I've gotten into many things, black powder from 68-80, cast bullets competition in the late 70s, early 80s. Heavy into trap since 78. The new kids in our club buy new, like plastic, and most don't reload. Some of the older guys reload shotgun and about die when their favorite powder is discontinued. My favorite guns in the safe, 1953 M70 30-06, 1947 M12 Skeet, M19 Smith, M15 Smith, Browning Superposed Lightning and an 1892 Winchester my brother and I had converted to 357 during the "Rifleman" years.
Trap gun #1 is an 870 from 1975 with about 300K rounds through it. It is fun to take the cash from a squad shooting 725 Trap Combos, Ceasar Gs, 686s or Ljutics and Alfermans. NRA shotgun instructor and youth h.s. team coach. Yeah, most folks I know, even shooting folks just don't know much about guns. "You made that flintlock?". " How did you make that mould". "Taper crimp"? "Lead bullets in a rifle, why?". I just sit back and enjoy and am happy to share knowledge with those who ask and want to learn. Now, if the damn gubmint will just let us enjoy our safer than most any other sport in peace.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by arkypete
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.

One of the great heroes of WWII was a teacher, mentor and, in his latter years, a friend. My life would be much less without his guidance. I'm 67 and realize the supply of old guys is getting pretty low and those of us entering old age have a big responsibility in replacing them. One grandson gives me hope in his love of the outdoors but there is much less to offer him than I had available to me at his age.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Probably better than feeling dead.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The guns, gear, boots etc are all far better now than when I was a kid. What I miss is wide open spaces w/ 1/2 the population. The guys I regularly shoot with are 1/2 my age, skilled and always eager to learn and try new stuff. I feel lucky that they want to hang w/ me.

What really sucks is trying to get good tags on a regular basis and not being able to walk uphill alll day w/ a big pack.grin

mike r

Amen.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its not all bad. Twice in the past year I have been in my LGS picking up a transfer gun when I looked over at the wall rack and behold one wooden-stocked scoped rifle sticking out among all the black guns. In each case, the gun was exceptionally nice and priced at about half of what it should have been. I figured some old codger traded it in on a new black gun. I bought both, sold the vintage scopes off for almost what I paid for the whole rig (one was a 26 mm Lyman Challenger), then sold one gun online for twice my purchase price. I kept the other, a 300WM tang safety Ruger 77and cleaned the bore and shot a 1" group with factory loads after 3 adjusting rounds. Like I said, its not all bad.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My father was chief engineer gun designer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Until I was 40 I was contract engineer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Then I started buying guns,.
Working at start ups, I would go out at lunch and cruise the pawn shops for guns.
I would go to every gun show and shop for guns.

Now I am 70 and have promised the wife I will sell every gun that I will never get around to shooting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My father was chief engineer gun designer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Until I was 40 I was contract engineer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Then I started buying guns,.
Working at start ups, I would go out at lunch and cruise the pawn shops for guns.
I would go to every gun show and shop for guns.

Now I am 70 and have promised the wife I will sell every gun that I will never get around to shooting.

I've told my wife about selling some of my guns too ever since I retired and realized I don't shoot half of them anymore, esp. shotguns and handguns.
Nope we are keep them she says so when one of us dies [ meaning me] the other [her] can sell em and have some fun. LOL

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall

Getting a little gray around the muzzle myself, so a few months back I photographed all my guns and cataloged them with a description and gave each of my sons a copy asking which of any they would like someday. Crickets. I'm afraid their idea of getting outdoors is mowing the lawn or jumping in the Polaris 1000 cc UTV and raising dust.

Windfall - drop that catalog off at my house. I know there's a few on the list that I'd like. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know the feeling, have sold half of mine in the last 5 years. Keeping what I need or ones that mean something to me, and selling the rest when prices are high. Both kids have little interest.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also try rebuilding a 1970 muscle car motor these days, auto parts store have nothing. Summit racing is your friend.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

Look at it htis way. Many of us grew up reading about sporterized Mausers and Springfields and their commercial cousins. The bolt action rifle was a battle instrument that went afield.

That is what black rifles are to the X_Y_Z generation. Heck, the AR platform was adopted almost 60 years ago.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by PPosey
Also try rebuilding a 1970 muscle car motor these days, auto parts store have nothing. Summit racing is your friend.

True. I had to replace the quadra-jet on my old 84 Chevrolet 4X4.
I wanted an Edelbrock with manual choke. It was a special order item. Works good though.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our liberal public education system is taking it's toll. They preach anti-gun, anti-Christian, anti-American. Little by little our kids are learning it wrong.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like blued steel and walnut and have dinged up a few.
Preference is for synthetic stocks these days.
Have gotten a little more clumsy as ive aged.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish more people didn't like guns.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,031
Posts18,481,876
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.