Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I know many folks despise hip boots, but assuming you were going to use Lacross hip boots for a Sept hunt…would you get insulated or non- insulated?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I usually get the insulated. I use them fishing and spend hours standing in water. Unless you run pretty hot blooded, the insulated ones should be comfortable. I prefer hip boots for most of my fall hunting. But I’ve spent so many years wearing them every day, I am used to having them on.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I use to wear hip boots for hunting I always wore the insulated version and the LaCrosse Big Chiefs were my go too boot. I've since changed to wearing knee high LaCrosse Alpha Burly's as I just sweat too much in hip boots, been wearing them for about 5-6 years now and am on my 2nd pair and when it's time to get some new ones I may get the uninsulated versions.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I lived in waders or hip boots when I was a fishing guide. Grew to really hate them, then breathable waders got developed and I will never go back. Still have the neoprene booty to contend with but some of the sweat is wicked away. I would go breathable hippers and a hiking style of wading boot.

If you go insulated go light 200 grams or at the very most 400. I prefer adjusting with heavier socks and foot bed inserts when it is warmer. If I knew I would be in the water mostly then more insulation would help.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
40 years so far with Lacrosse ankle fit uninsuled hipboots. 90% of the time they are rolled down on my calves, I can see breathable waders for Cordova type country and the giant bear swamp in the Cinder River region.

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pharmvet
I know many folks despise hip boots, but assuming you were going to use Lacross hip boots for a Sept hunt…would you get insulated or non- insulated?

none. If you're putting in lots of miles walking none ,,much more comfortable

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
"AirBob" Soles if they still offer them. Best traction in a rubber or viburnum boot..

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Insulated.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most hip boots are quiet a lot of waders are swish swish when you go through brush good luck calling and stalking moose with them!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
When I use to wear hip boots for hunting I always wore the insulated version and the LaCrosse Big Chiefs were my go too boot. I've since changed to wearing knee high LaCrosse Alpha Burly's as I just sweat too much in hip boots, been wearing them for about 5-6 years now and am on my 2nd pair and when it's time to get some new ones I may get the uninsulated versions.

I never got into the hip waders, as I was more wet from sweat than I would have been from water. I bought some Alpha Burley's 2 years ago, after wearing out a pair of Mucks. I like the Alpha's quite a bit more than the old Mucks.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by pharmvet

Wearing insulated hipboots on an early September moose hunt seems dumb to me, but uninsulated would be only slightly less awful.

I wear good, high waterproof hiking boots and carry a pair of Neos over-shoe waders to slip on over my hiking boots when it gets too deep.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hudge

I never got into the hip waders, as I was more wet from sweat than I would have been from water. I bought some Alpha Burley's 2 years ago, after wearing out a pair of Mucks. I like the Alpha's quite a bit more than the old Mucks.

Just ordered the Lacrosse Men's Alphaburly Pro Side-Zip 18" 1000G (Not sure about the side-zip thing, but at my age it will make extraction easier, Ill endure any possible dampness).

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Just ordered the Lacrosse Men's Alphaburly Pro Side-Zip 18" 1000G (Not sure about the side-zip thing, but at my age it will make extraction easier, Ill endure any possible dampness).
Hopefully they wont leak but i've been wearing the non-zip version for years now and I'm glad I made the switch from hip boots.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Hopefully they wont leak but i've been wearing the non-zip version for years now and I'm glad I made the switch from hip boots.

I've got 4 or 5 pair of Lacrosse "Burly Boots" some from when they first started producing them. Some are getting rotten, and need to be modified to "Camp Slippers". I think they have been making the Burley Boot for about 35'ish years. Good boots for most Alaska applications, but not floatplane bush pilot applications.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For Moose hunts in Ontario and Newfoundland I went with non-insulated hip boots, however I was glad to bring rubber knee boots along. I found out that about 80% of the time I could use the knee boots, which were way more comfortable than hip boots.

Muck boots did not hold up well for me, so the last two hunts I used my chore boots. Servus 15" knee boots and they worked great.

https://gemplers.com/collections/ho...x-boots-plain-toe?variant=21171601244249

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugeman, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,736
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.