Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Cheesy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well it looks like using a 7-08 is going to be too complicated. Can anybody recommend a bullet for my .270? Maybe that will be a little easier. smile

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Laffin'!

Since they are so easy to walk up on in ankle-high bunch-grass, I'm going after them with a bow.......

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Well it looks like using a 7-08 is going to be too complicated. Can anybody recommend a bullet for my .270? Maybe that will be a little easier. smile

I'm sure there's been many a long range world record set with the 150 Sierra Game King... I think David Tubbs may shoot this combo in a modified AR.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'd just throw stones. No doubt you will get tons of advice on how best to do that.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just make sure you have a high quality 'arm' with which to throw the heavier stones. Also, throwing stones beyond 10 yards is unethical. We should consider the variences in density due to agregate amounts of sedementary rock, profile, and 'forward velocity'. I don't know that we're equiped to duscuss this at lenght... Lee, help us out!! ~JT

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tall grass does make stalking easier, but even short grass is not impossible... bowhunters:
http://www.pronghornantelopehuntingoutfitters.com/

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey, you folks (you, too, "mathman")forgot to answer the simple question:
When you plug a "velocity" into your ballistic calculator, what number are you using? Is it truly a velocity, or the scalar value of horizontal speed?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lee24
Tall grass does make stalking easier, but even short grass is not impossible... bowhunters:

"Pronghorn bowhunting from stands or blinds is a highly successful."

"At our bow only camps we set our stands and blinds at windmills, ponds, fence crossings. I put out great numbers of blinds and Cabela's ladder stands that we use along the wooded edge of the alfalfa fields. I set my stands and blinds at 20 yards to give my traditional bowhunters and compound shooters the best opportunity to harvest these bucks."

"Then the field edges become more active and fence crossings where we have our blinds and stands set."

Great link. Not one word about stalking, but then obviously you didn't read it before posting it.......

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Imagine that, Lee made it all the way to the THIRD Google result before posting the link.....................

Never mind that it doesn't involve stalking of antelope, as he pretended to suggest.

[Linked Image]

Again, Lee took the art of a dodging the argument and changing the subject to a new level. you are truly a master, Lee.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ole' one-two... nicely done boys. Should take him a minute or two to get up off the canvas after that pummeling. You have to admire his tenacity though... bless his heart. ~JT

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One more time: I never said anything about how to calculate kinetic energy, nor did I say anything about the label of a blank in the input section of a software package. All I said was even though a vector may have only one nonzero component, and in that instance the number sitting in that nonzero component has the same absolute value as the scalar magnitude of the vector, the vector doesn't fail to exist as such or suddenly turn into a scalar either. If that distinction is too subtle for you, oh well. If you do get it but simply consider it unimportant, I'll chalk it up to a matter of taste and leave it at that.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What if C-A-T... spelled Dog?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lee-
I don't know the answer to that. I'll agree to go look it up if you'll agree to study up on why you are obsessed with being the smartest person in the room and beating others over the head with book knowlege while lacking any form of wisdom.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/dsm-iv.html

"Common conspicuous grandiose behaviors include expecting special treatment or admiration on the basis of claiming (a) to know important, powerful or famous people or (b) to be extraordinarily intelligent or talented. "

"An exaggerated sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)"

Understanding your personality disorder is the first step toward getting well.

My seven year old daughter and her friends also play the same game, "I know something you don't know!". I am trying to help her learn to use her knowlege wisely so that she doesn't become a societal reject.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hope you non-stalkers who laughed about bowhunting and stalking, clicked on those and other links to see that antelope are, indeed killed at close range by bowhunters.

Let me help you.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stalking+antelope

The best articles are not online, but in Bowhunter and Traditional Archery magazines.

But then, the fact that long-range match records were set with the 160-gr Gameking out of a 7mm-08 didn't stop some of you from remaining in denial.

I'm still waiting for "mathman" of the peanut gallery to tell me how he inputs a multi-dimensional value like "muzzle velocity" into one dimension of a ballistics calculation program.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by castandblast

"Pronghorn bowhunting from stands or blinds is a highly successful."

"At our bow only camps we set our stands and blinds at windmills, ponds, fence crossings. I put out great numbers of blinds and Cabela's ladder stands that we use along the wooded edge of the alfalfa fields. I set my stands and blinds at 20 yards to give my traditional bowhunters and compound shooters the best opportunity to harvest these bucks."

"Then the field edges become more active and fence crossings where we have our blinds and stands set."

Great link. Not one word about stalking, but then obviously you didn't read it before posting it.......

The best articles are not online, but in Bowhunter and Traditional Archery magazines.

Is anyone shocked? Lee once again quoted a Google result without having any knowledge of the subject and got caught. In typical fashion he backtracked and changed the subject yet again.

Wait, which is it, Lee? Are the internet sources you tout the ultimate authority on all subjects, or are magazines you read the ultimate authority on all subjects. I'm confused.

I'm still waiting for "mathman" of the peanut gallery to tell me how he inputs a multi-dimensional value like "muzzle velocity" into one dimension of a ballistics calculation program.

And there we have it! Lee's entire "knowledge" of ballistics is proven to be derived from his use of a computer ballistic calculator. If the computer ballistic calculator doesn't say it, it isn't so. If the input fields on the computer ballistic calculator don't allow it, it can't be.

Brilliant, once again, Lee. Keep going, please. You are better than watching TV.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wrote my own ballistics calculator, and have used JBM and others, too.
None of them take anything but the bullet muzzle speed (scalar) value for an input value.

If you don't know how to stalk in open ground, you should learn how to run some calculations on your fantasy loads, then verify and practice a lot for those long shots.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me guess, you wrote the program on a computer that you invented and built from scratch in your garage?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wrote my own ballistics calculator, and have used JBM and others, too.
None of them take anything but the bullet muzzle speed (scalar) value for an input value.

How about posting the source code to the bllistics calculator you wrote so we can check it out? If the source code ain't handy, how about the .exe for the calculator itself? If it's good, we all might want to use it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by castandblast
Lee-
I don't know the answer to that. I'll agree to go look it up if you'll agree to study up on why you are obsessed with being the smartest person in the room and beating others over the head with book knowlege while lacking any form of wisdom.

Well? Do we have a deal?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jds44 -
Since my ballistics calculator gives answers very close to those of JBM, Remington and Sierra, as well as to the actual drops and velocities I have input, I know it's right. I wrote it to add some features they don't have, including artillery shots with high angles of sight elevation.

In what computer languages are you capable of grading someone's code? If you could, why don't you write your own program?

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.