Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
https://prescottazhistory.blogspot....BnOe3AyidN0ggjotaBig32QZnsjmijJwNd1_K-8E

walnut grove is in the bradshaws between phoenix and prescott, so is bloody basin.
my dad use to tell me coming across the skeletons in bloody basin while running cattle in there.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/03/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story Ron, thanks for posting.....those dudes were tough!

Last edited by TimZ; 08/03/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032923/1915-04-28/ed-1/seq-2/

Like you Ron I have family history in Prescott. My great grandparents were there from the late 1800s, owned the Winsor Hotel on Gurley and Montezuma, GGmother was the county school teacher, taught in all the 1 room schools all around that area. My grandfather was born there, my mother was born/raised in Clemenceau/Clarkdale where my grandparents taught school.

Anyway there are a ton of newspaper articles about my GGparents, here's how my ggfather died out hunting lion in Smith canyon.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Ron, I had not heard of that story before, that was a great read, and yes, those were some tough Amigos.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for posting that, Ron.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff you two AZ guys.

Thanks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Read different articles in Ron's link, Yavapai... skull valley was interesting.

This one is about how the Rough riders were started in Prescott. Not sure if my ggfather was involved but he knew Roosevelt and when president, Roosevelt invite my ggfather to hunt with him at Judge Wheeler's ranch in California. So they knew each other.

Kent

http://prescottazhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/teddys-rough-riders-originated-in.html

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good read, Thanx.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Now down the rabbit hole I go. Good stuff here.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A great read!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although somewhat distant from Prescott, Bloody Basin is an interesting place - historically and in its nature. When hunting deer down in there in the 80s and early 90s, a guy would encounter both Mule deer and Coues deer (small whitetail) almost every day - depending on elevation and vegetation. The area northward up around Horner Mountain was very good Coues territory.

Thanks for that story - good stuff. As some may know, there were Apaches and there were Apaches back in those days, and those I came to know well in much later times are the Yavapai Apache. During our many years in Prescott, the Chieftess of that tribe was a very wise and solid matriarch who did great good for her tribe and the local community - in a very quiet and unassuming manner. She was a beloved colleague for me and our college was built on land given by the tribe for that purpose.

Aside from that Bloody Basin area eastward from Prescott toward the Verde River, there are excellent historical and outdoor adventure areas to the north toward Seligman, to the east toward and past Camp Wood and the Bozarth/Behm Mesas, and to the south down past Yarnell. Good hunting of many types - great country.

Unfortunately, Prescott and its surrounding areas have suffered heavy in-migration by people with some money and more social baggage - and similar for some surrounding areas - nowhere near the excellent Prescott of the 1970s and before.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for that interesting story Ronin. I'm a 2nd gen Arizonan, my grandparents immigrated here from Italy in 1911 to mining country in eastern az. My dad born in 1916 told a lot of interesting stories about how things were. My wifes parents had a cabin on Big Bug Mesa just out of Prescott, we used to explore all the old mines back in the 70's from there. I've always loved Arizona history.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AZmark
Thanks for that interesting story Ronin. I'm a 2nd gen Arizonan, my grandparents immigrated here from Italy in 1911 to mining country in eastern az. My dad born in 1916 told a lot of interesting stories about how things were. My wifes parents had a cabin on Big Bug Mesa just out of Prescott, we used to explore all the old mines back in the 70's from there. I've always loved Arizona history.

on my mothers side, it was slovak/croatian, in the copper mines say jerome around the same time frame.
i started running across big bug mesa in the late 50's and 60's as a kid on a totegoatl. at age 11 we sometimes made it from prescott to crown king. I think from memory the danderia ranch was on the big bug. i know there was a big stone river rock wall up there that parts of it magically relocated to a house in prescott.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CCCC
Although somewhat distant from Prescott, Bloody Basin is an interesting place - historically and in its nature. When hunting deer down in there in the 80s and early 90s, a guy would encounter both Mule deer and Coues deer (small whitetail) almost every day - depending on elevation and vegetation. The area northward up around Horner Mountain was very good Coues territory.

Thanks for that story - good stuff. As some may know, there were Apaches and there were Apaches back in those days, and those I came to know well in much later times are the Yavapai Apache. During our many years in Prescott, the Chieftess of that tribe was a very wise and solid matriarch who did great good for her tribe and the local community - in a very quiet and unassuming manner. She was a beloved colleague for me and our college was built on land given by the tribe for that purpose.

Aside from that Bloody Basin area eastward from Prescott toward the Verde River, there are excellent historical and outdoor adventure areas to the north toward Seligman, to the east toward and past Camp Wood and the Bozarth/Behm Mesas, and to the south down past Yarnell. Good hunting of many types - great country.

Unfortunately, Prescott and its surrounding areas have suffered heavy in-migration by people with some money and more social baggage - and similar for some surrounding areas - nowhere near the excellent Prescott of the 1970s and before.

at one time bozarth mesa was so thick with trees the cowboys in the area laid out markers to figure out how the heck to get out of there. Bozarth i think was a yavapai cty sheriff, friend of my fathers.
that area up north of bozarth to ash fork and seligman are injun county again with the meth heads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.