Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by CoyoteConquest

Springfield makes a great AR that has a bunch of upgrades on them but somehow people say they are low tier. To me they are lower mid tier.

I love the AR platform and have owned/shot/handled a fair amount. Just curious what, in your experience, would separate a lower mid tier gun from a higher low tier gun or a middle mid tier gun and what adds might help boost it to a high mid tier or possibly even a lower high tier option? whistle wink

To me the Saint is a great AR and stands right up there with other ike the SIG 400 Tread. The only thing I'd like to see different is them use 4150 steel for the barrel and maybe offer some chrome lined instead of nitrate.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only tiers I recognize are my tears of laughter after reading this thread.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So....common sense tells me if their heat treat is ok and what barrel steel they used...?

A guy with common sense knows how to do his own research, not count on some [bleep] know-it-all who likes to hear themselves talk.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Makes sense

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Many years ago kits from Olympic Arms were popular. I don’t even know if they are in business anymore.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't check the genealogy of the people putting the parts together? Location of the iron ore? Blood type of the plant managers? Sheesh. Lol

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No one really wants to say what bottom of the barrel is because they are afraid someone here is going to get butt hurt.. whistle

What about Delton, Model 1 sales, American Tactical, and all the poly lowers out there? And the list could go on from there..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Springfield makes a great AR that has a bunch of upgrades on them but somehow people say they are low tier. To me they are lower mid tier.

I do consider PSA, Anderson, Radical and a couple others really low tier.

I must disagree with you, from what I have seen the Springfield "Saint" and it's variants are one of the worst AR's on the market. I would take an Anderson for about half the price and have a better rifle.

As for top tier I could never say anything negative about JPRifles......great stuff !!!!!

All of mine at present are parts guns IMO you can build a mid to upper level AR that is really what you want cheaper than buying one already built that is not exactly what you are looking for

This right here tells me that you don't know much about a Springfield saint. You just believe everything you read when people bash them.
Tell me what is so bad about them? Is it that they have BCM furniture? Or is it that they offer a mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel? Or that it has a decent polished trigger? Or maybe it's because it has a nice BCG in it? Or is it that you read on arf.com that they were bad? But meh colt....

Wrong Jackass, apparently you are the one that knows little about the Springfield "Saint", I have seen several that have gas issues that don't cycle properly. My BIL has the special "Victor"edition that the bolt wont stay open on the last round. "A decent polished trigger"........please, you can get a far better trigger with far less hoop la, the BCG is also nothing special. The biggest problem I have with the "Saint" is that it is an entry level AR with a MID TIER price tag, if it were $500 cheaper it would be an acceptable rifle to buy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
No one really wants to say what bottom of the barrel is because they are afraid someone here is going to get butt hurt.. whistle

What about Delton, Model 1 sales, American Tactical, and all the poly lowers out there? And the list could go on from there..

I have one of those poly lowers with Del Ton 16" carbine length uppers that I got 1" at 50 yards with a couple weeks ago with an A2 handle. I might not want to go into combat with it but it makes for a light weight truck gun that takes up very little space behind the seat.. It will never be a BCM or Colt but it pleased me. I would venture to guess this defines "bottom of the barrel".

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ooops. Duplicate post.
kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/28/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Many years ago kits from Olympic Arms were popular. I don’t even know if they are in business anymore.

Yeah, but we gotta know what tier they were.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Colt LE6920 was one of the worst shooting rifles that I have ever owned, in terms of groups.

My Bushamster M4gery went 800 rounds of M855, without any cleaning or lube, before it had a failure to extract.

What tier do these rifles fall into? How do their barrels rank?

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/27/21.
C
OP Offline
C

I do consider PSA, Anderson, Radical and a couple others really low tier.

I must disagree with you, from what I have seen the Springfield "Saint" and it's variants are one of the worst AR's on the market. I would take an Anderson for about half the price and have a better rifle.

As for top tier I could never say anything negative about JPRifles......great stuff !!!!!

All of mine at present are parts guns IMO you can build a mid to upper level AR that is really what you want cheaper than buying one already built that is not exactly what you are looking for

This right here tells me that you don't know much about a Springfield saint. You just believe everything you read when people bash them.
Tell me what is so bad about them? Is it that they have BCM furniture? Or is it that they offer a mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel? Or that it has a decent polished trigger? Or maybe it's because it has a nice BCG in it? Or is it that you read on arf.com that they were bad? But meh colt....

Wrong Jackass, apparently you are the one that knows little about the Springfield "Saint", I have seen several that have gas issues that don't cycle properly. My BIL has the special "Victor"edition that the bolt wont stay open on the last round. "A decent polished trigger"........please, you can get a far better trigger with far less hoop la, the BCG is also nothing special. The biggest problem I have with the "Saint" is that it is an entry level AR with a MID TIER price tag, if it were $500 cheaper it would be an acceptable rifle to buy

It could've ammo or anything. Have your BIL send it in. And . I bet Springfield will fix him right up.
I'm a Jack ass? Your really big hiding behind a key board. At least I have common sense. I have several ARs. The Saint is not entry level. It has several upgrades. How is that any different from any other mid tier manufacturers?

You can call me names all you want but that's the truth. You can't put it in the same class.
A lot of people buy Saints because they are really nice at their price point. But obviously every one else is wrong and you're right. Everybody should listen to you.

I spent 10 years in the Military. I have a 6x6.8, 2 Grendel's, a 6.8spc, 6mm ARC and 3 556s. Half of those are home built . I've been around a [bleep] load of ARs. I'm sure you haven't seen several saints do anything. You might've read about a few people having problems. Hell, I can find people with Colts who had problems.

Last edited by CoyoteConquest; 06/27/21.
C
OP Offline
C
I don't think mil-spec is tier 1. I spent a lot of time in the military. Just because they use something doesn't mean it's the best. People that want to play GI Joe on the weekends might think so but most people in the military don't see it that way.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by viking

Yeah, but we gotta know what tier they were.

I was hoping someone would know, but I would say the lower end.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The quality of a manufacturer can change over time. Back in the 90's, when Colt was going through one of their many bankruptcies, Bushmaster had a better rep than them among highpower shooters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I start with what materials the parts are made from. If the manufacturer won't tell, or if they just say "mil-spec", they're low-tier. Period.

Then I move on to the QC process the assembler uses to inspect those parts prior to assembly.

Then I want to know what the assembly process consists of. Are all of those parts properly torqued and staked?

And I want to know that for all of the parts.

Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
You don't check the genealogy of the people putting the parts together? Location of the iron ore? Blood type of the plant managers? Sheesh. Lol

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'm confused why any of that shouldn't be standard.

What are you making this out of? Are you sure those parts are good? Are you careful when you put them together?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Top tier used better material and little differences in design to account for common failure. See the buffet retainer on HKs for example.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I start with what materials the parts are made from. If the manufacturer won't tell, or if they just say "mil-spec", they're low-tier. Period.

Then I move on to the QC process the assembler uses to inspect those parts prior to assembly.

Then I want to know what the assembly process consists of. Are all of those parts properly torqued and staked?

And I want to know that for all of the parts.

Originally Posted by Jiveturkey

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'm confused why any of that shouldn't be standard.

What are you making this out of? Are you sure those parts are good? Are you careful when you put them together?

Was just being a smart ass. Yeah it makes a big difference and even good parts put together wrong don't add up to a good product

I'll take a Sig 516. 3 times!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,029
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.