Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Also have a few of these. Great to throw in the backpack or in hard side gun case.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939410668

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use the smallest Leatherman nylon pouch for extra rounds on my belt. It holds 3 std. cartridges perfectly and is relatively compact with a snap closure.

I also use the Butler creek sling with shell loops, but only use the bottom 2. That's five rounds I can get to quickly if needed.

https://www.leatherman.com/nylon-sheath-548.html

I also use the 10 round plastic cartridge holders that come in the federal factory boxes in a plastic baggie in my pack.

I sometimes hike way back and don't want to have to go all the way back to the truck if something happens.

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 08/05/21.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by CRS

Velcro carriers are too loud for my tastes.

A sincere question.
How many times do you open and close one
while hunting?

Jerry

If you need to reload from one of these, chances are the game in the area is already aware of your presence.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Goat
A strange request I know!
A few years ago I was at a range and noticed a piece of grey plastic by the trash barrel. I was going to put in the drum but when I saw what it was I had to have a second look. It was a cartridge carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. It's just a 5 round plastic carrier, grey in color, with Nosler written on a tab that stuck up from behind the rear of the cartridge bases. What I like about it is that the cartridges lock into it but are still fairly easy to remove with one hand. Because they lock into place they can NOT fall out and rattle in your pocket. I suppose that I still have a bit of boy scout in me and want to be prepared;so I carry a few more rounds than I should ever need.
Again, it is a 5 round plastic carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. The individual cartridges lock in place and will only come out intentionally. It's grey in color and has Nosler written on the part that covers the bullet in the front. I contacted Nosler but discovered that they now use a 10 round flimsy plastic, generic holder just to keep them in the box. I would love to get a few more in both short and long action length. Presently I don't need any for magnum cartridges but that could change...
HELP me PLEASE!!!
Thanks for taking time to read this and help me locate these little gems. I will try to post a pic below.

Goat, if you have a Norma dealer near you, go check a box of their ammo. I bought a box about a year or two ago and it had what sounds exactly what you're talking about. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd post up a photo. They were 2 ten round carriers that I snapped in half to make 5 rounders. Cartridges locked into place, yet were easy to remove. Also, the tips were covered for added protection. I keep one in my coat, one in my pants and one in my pack. Too bad my Roberts didn't like the ammo much....

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by Goat
A strange request I know!
A few years ago I was at a range and noticed a piece of grey plastic by the trash barrel. I was going to put in the drum but when I saw what it was I had to have a second look. It was a cartridge carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. It's just a 5 round plastic carrier, grey in color, with Nosler written on a tab that stuck up from behind the rear of the cartridge bases. What I like about it is that the cartridges lock into it but are still fairly easy to remove with one hand. Because they lock into place they can NOT fall out and rattle in your pocket. I suppose that I still have a bit of boy scout in me and want to be prepared;so I carry a few more rounds than I should ever need.
Again, it is a 5 round plastic carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. The individual cartridges lock in place and will only come out intentionally. It's grey in color and has Nosler written on the part that covers the bullet in the front. I contacted Nosler but discovered that they now use a 10 round flimsy plastic, generic holder just to keep them in the box. I would love to get a few more in both short and long action length. Presently I don't need any for magnum cartridges but that could change...
HELP me PLEASE!!!
Thanks for taking time to read this and help me locate these little gems. I will try to post a pic below.

Goat, if you have a Norma dealer near you, go check a box of their ammo. I bought a box about a year or two ago and it had what sounds exactly what you're talking about. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd post up a photo. They were 2 ten round carriers that I snapped in half to make 5 rounders. Cartridges locked into place, yet were easy to remove. Also, the tips were covered for added protection. I keep one in my coat, one in my pants and one in my pack. Too bad my Roberts didn't like the ammo much....

+1. Works good. Dog simple.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you’re looking for quality, Murray Custom Leather carriers are hard to beat. Mine are leather, with heavy industrial grade elastic cartridge loops inside. I have the C3 models, 7 cartridge capacity. They have a leather flap over the top to make sure nothing falls out. Best shell carriers I’ve seen so far. Totally quiet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=CRS]

Velcro carriers are too loud for my tastes.

A sincere question.
How many times do you open and close one
while hunting?

Jerry

If you need to reload from one of these, chances are the game in the area is already aware of your presence.
----------------------------------------------

AND if you need to reload from anything it's the same.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't help out with locating what you are looking for, just post up what has been working for me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pockets...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I load the rifle. Spare 2-3 rounds in a chest pocket.

I might carry some in a reloading box/container in an old waterfowl blind bag at my feet.

I've never, ever, had to go deeper into my stash than the rounds aboard the rifle tho. I could likely leave the rest home.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just use the factory box of 20.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's the $2 solution - wrap a handful of cartridges in a bandana and stick it in your pocket, and there's the $90 solution - a fancy leather custom made carrier that doesn't do anything more than the bandana but it's prettier. I lean toward the former.

$2 from Wally's
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

$90 from Midway
[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another handy way of carrying some extra rounds in a way such that they don't rattle in your pocket is to use a stripper clip. Any cartridge of the same headsize as .30/06, .308 etc will slide into a standard Mauser stripper clip, while a good range of the rimmed ones, such as 7x57R, 9.3x74R and of course .303 go nicely in a .303 Lee Enfield clip ("charger" for the purists). A filled clip sits neatly in a shirt pocket.

Mind you, I'm rather a fan of the elastic butt cuffs - very handy and fast to get to when you want to grab some extra rounds right now - much faster than going to a belt pouch or pocket. I find them especially handy on my double rifle, single shot etc.

There's also the MTM belt boxes, which aren't quite as fast to access but hold more rounds, and protect them better. One thing I've found works well with these is to roll up a bit of toilet paper and wedge it into the lid - you want enough so that it takes a bit of force to shut the box on the rounds. That way they don't rattle.

I would never keep rounds in leather.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 79 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.