P
Wood outnumbers plastic here

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got enough synthetic stocked rifles to cover any bad weather hunting I might do. If it weren't for needing them for that purpose, I probably wouldn't own any. The only rifles that hold any interest for me at this point have wood stocks.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Mach3
Just curious what other fellow hunters might have? Have most people gone to synthetics?

What I have:

Remington 760 GameMaster 243win wood
Remington 7600 30.06 synthetic
Tikka T3X Lite .270win synthetic
Benelli Lupo 300wm

I hunt in any and every weather condition. Biggest buck ever shot was in a steady rain. Aside from the beauty of a wood stock, synthetic stocks with weather proof barrels are my preference.

Does a Fat Baby fart?

Ya,

GWB

+1

smile.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have no big game rifles with wood stocks, wood is pretty but not very practical for my style of deer hunting...I might buy another wood stocked centerfire rifle some day to hunt with a couple times a year on pretty days just for old times sake 👍.....Hb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Put me in the prefer wood stocks camp. I have a couple synthetics and I’m sure I’ll own more, but I’ll generally go out of my way to get one with wood.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only walnut. Model 70s, Model 100, Model 1892, Marlin 336, and Husky 1640. Whippersnappers with plastic can get off my lawn! 😂😇

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Only one synthetic stock in the cabinet. The rest are nice walnut.

This

Yup

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] A plastic stock for rainy days

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by earlybrd
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] A plastic stock for rainy days

Same here, a Model 700 .270. Everything else is walnut.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope 🤣

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have two both are JC Higgins, one a model 50 and one a model 50L both in 30-06. I have only had them a few years and enjoy hunting with them on nice days. Most days for the last 30 years have been with synthetic stocks and stainless barreled actions. When I am finished with them I hope to give them to my grandsons.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Of my actively used hunting rifles, I have two that are synthetic stocked. That's largely due to the lower cost of buying good bedding block stocks in synthetic vs. wood. The remainder (5 rifles) are all walnut.

I may order an Accurate Innovations stock for the two that have B&C stocks, but that's a lot of money purely for cosmetics.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Mostly wood with a couple of synthetic stocks.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have only one synthetic stocked rifle. I use it exclusively for those extreme situations when I can't take proper care of more pleasing alternatives. Remote fly in or backpack hunts in extreme weather. I went "full ugly" for this one, function vs aesthetics. It's a a Ruger M77 MkII 30-06, canoe paddle stock / stainless / with a NECG aperture and Ruger's original front sight. And a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest in Ruger stainless ring mounts. Nothing I have used is tougher or more fool proof. But it usually sits at home. I prefer rifles I can admire for their fine workmanship, with beautiful walnut, fine fit and finish, and quiet, lively handling.
I have several nice walnut stocked bolt rifles, but lately have gravitated towards fine break action rifles. A couple of double rifles and some single shot & combination guns. I can't imagine putting a synthetic stock on them.

Last edited by castnblast; 08/04/21.
M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have no big game rifles with wood stocks, wood is pretty but not very practical for my style of deer hunting...I might buy another wood stocked centerfire rifle some day to hunt with a couple times a year on pretty days just for old times sake 👍.....Hb

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Two on lever guns and one on a Ruger 77 UL.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Mach3
Just curious what other fellow hunters might have? Have most people gone to synthetics?

What I have:

Remington 760 GameMaster 243win wood
Remington 7600 30.06 synthetic
Tikka T3X Lite .270win synthetic
Benelli Lupo 300wm

I hunt in any and every weather condition. Biggest buck ever shot was in a steady rain. Aside from the beauty of a wood stock, synthetic stocks with weather proof barrels are my preference.

Does a Fat Baby fart?

Ya,

GWB

Both very stupid questions..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Life's too short to have a safe full of ugly guns.

I prefer wood and blued steel. I've got a few synthetic stocked guns, but my wood and blued steel far outnumber them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have 3 safes full of rifles, all of which except two, are blue steel and walnut. The two synthetics are Montanas, bought for their light weight and ease of carry on western mountain hunts as I've gotten older, and not for their resistance to weather conditions. I was taught early on how to care for and maintain a traditional firearm before, and immediately after a day of soaking weather. After almost 50 years, none of my rifles have any rust or wood damage caused by water.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not a synth anywhere- just beat up wood. First thing that I did with that 70fwt I bought practically un-used 2 years ago (after fixing the safety) was taking it ATV caribou hunting up in the mountains in the rain and fog.. It looks honest now.

Safe queens are for those who don't hunt.

Tomorrow, I leave to hammer several some more on an ATV/hiking/camping caribou hunt....... rain is in the forecast for the foreseeable future. They are a fooking tool, not an art object.

As long as they shoot, and aren't a total rust bucket. Corrosion X is your friend, and that rain- swollen wood will shrink again. Eventually. Chit can be refinished.

I should probably sell them all and buy one good synthetic/stainless, - but hell, these are paid for - and my kids don't hunt. smile

Last edited by las; 08/04/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.