Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hi guys! Not much traffic in this area lately it seems.

I had a Browning B-78 in 22-250 rem for about 5 years now, and just couldnt get excited to shoot it much. The 22-250 is a niche cartridge meant for small varmint sized game. I have always been a hunter, and prefer to have firearms chambered in cartridges that can be used more for shooting game animals. Just feels more practicle I suppose.

I got wind of a gunsmith in Southern Alberta by the name of Ron Smith. He is known to be able to rebore most barrels, and uses gain twist rifling.

So I made the plunge and sent my rifle to him. I wanted a 1:8” twist and the chambering was going to be in 7mm-08 Rem.

I just got the rifle back last night, and hope to have it together by the weekend to try out some loads!

When I sent Ron the barreled action the trigger was not the greatest, a bit spongy. I never requested a trigger job because I know they are a nightmare to work on even for experienced smiths! Plus I didnt want the added expense at this time.

When I put the stocks on the barreled action I notice the trigger was adjusted. It was a glass rod like breaking around 2.5-3 lbs! As good as it can get! Wowzers! What a bonus thing to do for a customer! He really knows his craft! I would have NEVER tackled that trigger! Lol!

These rifles all seem to have exhibition grade wood! Wonderful feathering and curls!

I will drop an update as soon as I get some groups on paper.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yay! Keep us informed.

I've been meaning to try a RKS barrel myself but other quality barrels keep falling into my lap. He does a nice reprise of Pope-style rifling too for us reprobates that insist on shooting vintage single shots- LH twist, gain twist, and Pope's signature rifling form.

Good to hear about your trigger too. The one main complaint I have re: B78's.

Personally I would've given the .22-250 a fairer shake. Lighter weight TSX bullets could've maybe turned it into a real deerslayer. But your final choice is laudible too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I aggree that the 22-250 will lill deer well if a good bullet is chosen, but it is Illegal here in Alberta to use a 22 caliber centerfire for big game.

I am hoping to get a chance to travel down to Rons neck of the woods to meet him in person some day soon.

I love to listen to barrel makers talk about thier work! Not many of the old school guys around any more!

I had a good friend, Bevin King, that took me under his wing and showed me how all that was done. I made a habit of driving to his place on weekends to help him build barrels, and I had a ball!

He had so many ideas for projects that he wanted to do, but cancer got him like so many! Wish I could have met him years sooner!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Browning 78 in 22-250 with Dan Pedersen being re-bored to 250 Savage. Can't wait to get it back.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well I got my rifle set up and did some shooting!

The temp was ridiculously hot, so I just shot two shots and let the barrel cool to ambient temp.

This rifle tucks two shots in tight around 1/2”-0.75” on average! If I shoot 3 at a time without cooling the bore after the second shot it tends to shoot around 1-1-1/4 MOA. Very happy with that!

So far I have tried the 175 grain Nosler Partition, 168 grain Nosler L.R. Accubond, and 150 grain speer sp. it doesnt seem to matter what I shoot! It just plunks the first two inside an inch easy as can be! Perfect for the hunting I will do with it!

I have used Varget, W760, H4350, IMR4451,

Velocities have reached a nice level to take advantage of the 7-08’s potential.

This is going to be a fun rifle in my collection!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had numerous rifles with Ron's barrels over the years, all single shots.
Some he did all the work for me, others I had gunsmiths do the work with his barrels.
Every one has been an absolute joy to shoot
My son has a great B78 that has an RKS barrel on it in 6.5X284, I have owned single shots with his barrels on them in, 6.5WSM ( 2 of them), 6mmBR, 6.5X284, 308, .223, and my latest, 260 Rem., mostly Rugers and Brownings.
All I had to do was hoist his personal elk rifle and that was it all i said was" Build me one of these!"
Ron has some help these days as he is getting on, but he still takes care of business.
He also adjusted the trigger on my last browning, it is an 1885 but a new style so just as cantankerous as the B78.
I love his gain twist barrels!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/05/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a happy ending is in the works. Congrats.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Who in the US would you guys recommend?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,477,994
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.