Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
But it was 8 or 9 years old and I only paid $50 for it. I bought another one tonight new at Princess Auto. Ouch! $400.

It's a 5 ton that we use for fires at my daughter's place and mine. I also take wood to the trailer. It gets used, but ouch. I couldn't find any used on the buy, sell, trade sites.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you know this is the fire details. grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someone's gotta do it. My kids are too lazy!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than your log splitter crossing over Jordan that all else is as it should be.

About 5 years ago we needed to drop a half dozen fair sized Ponderosa Pines in our yard that had died and I broke down and bought a small Stihl MS170 so I could limb out of the basket truck that buddy and I rented and as well to process the knotty top portions I bought this electric splitter from Can Tire.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...og-splitter-with-pedal-0603751p.html#srp

It has two things that I'd do again on the next splitter and that's why my post Steve, as I am cognizant you've already bought one.

The Can Tire one has a sharp end on both sides on this model and so help me it works so much better than just one side - or at least it surely does on our BC conifers such as Interior Doug Fir, Larch and Ponderosa Pine.

It'd be an easy task to either fabricate that yourself or have one made up I'd think?

The other thing I like about the one in the link is the foot switch so I can do a fairly big round, keep it in my hands and just keep taking chunks off of the round with the foot activation.

Anyways sir, if that doesn't help you at all, perhaps the next person reading this will be in the market for a splitter and find that somewhat useful.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I prefer to buy equipment like this at the local farm auctions. That's how I got my last one. All the equipment is used, but it's being used steadily, so it doesn't sit and rust or seize up. Those little ones are handy for putting in the back of the pickup or transporting with a utility trailer.

The two knives is a good idea.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

This one came with only one side set up to split, the other sharp end was in a bag, so I ran it single for awhile, but it really labored on some of the knotty upper parts where the branches are on those yard Ponderosas.

I thought I had nothing to lose putting that different end on and was frankly gob smacked at the difference.

When I bought mine it was a case of outhouse luck in that this one was on sale - you know the famous 30% off ones that Can Tire is so famous for - so I bought it without any research.

Anyways if this one blows up next time I use it, I'm buying another one of the same ones.

All the best again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Same experience with the Cdn tire unit. The second splitting head makes a world of difference.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I tested it this morning. All is good. I have to take it to my daughter's place. We had a bad storm a few weeks back and some tress came down. They are all cut up, but we'll split them so that they will dry quicker. We have a bunch stacked behind the driving shed.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Does the electric motor on these splitters drive a hydraulic system or a big threaded rod?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Does the electric motor on these splitters drive a hydraulic system or a big threaded rod?

It drives a hydraulic system.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
We finished cutting and splitting all the trees that went down at my daughter’s place and mine. I took a few loads to my trailer and my son in law and grandkids are piling it all.

Friends out west are doing the same thing, but it hasn’t ended for them yet. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For sure, if I ever go to cutting Ponderosa pine, I will acquire a splitter.

1Minute
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Funny you mention your log splitter. Last week, I decided to get my log splitter going. Like always just dip the spark plug in some gas and it started right up. I put in a half pint of gas and split a bit of wood. . I figure I will just let the engine run. I come back a few hours later and the engine is all burned up. Yep, the gas tank and everything was burned up. I couldnt believe it. I am happy , however, it was wet enough out there to not start a fire in the grass and it was right next to about 5 cords of dry wood. Could have been worse. A new Briggs & Stratton 825 will set me back $400 . Bad luck , but the engine was 9 yrs. old and I never really cared for the engine. This one is a " commercial " grade, I am told.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Around here, I think most splitters get used in the late summer/early fall, except for a couple of guys in the firewood business. I live on a county road and one of my neighbours heats with wood in the winter. He doesn't have a furnace, and uses an old driving shed to store what he splits in the fall. He is a landscaper, so he probably writes off his splitter.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.