Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Browniing HiPower isn't a handgun that finds itself in a lot of Hollywood movies or TV series. Looking over HBO for something to watch on television late nights I decided to watch the True Detective series again. In the second season of True Detective Colin Farrell as Detective Ray Velcoro uses a HiPower in his job as a California LEO. A weird choice by whoever decides that sort of thing but pretty neat to see the old warhorse on the screen. I was reminded how sleek and good looking the HiPower is and how I regret getting rid of the one I had years back.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Like em. Carried one for a few yrs.
Yanked mag disco and had a good trigger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The lead character in “Blacklist” uses one also.
I like the choice, tired of seeing Glocks and before that, Beretta 92’s. Didn’t know I wanted one till I started watch the show. They are getting pricey, but then so is everything else.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop used one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
The Browniing HiPower isn't a handgun that finds itself in a lot of Hollywood movies or TV series. Looking over HBO for something to watch on television late nights I decided to watch the True Detective series again. In the second season of True Detective Colin Farrell as Detective Ray Velcoro uses a HiPower in his job as a California LEO. A weird choice by whoever decides that sort of thing but pretty neat to see the old warhorse on the screen. I was reminded how sleek and good looking the HiPower is and how I regret getting rid of the one I had years back.

Detective Axel Foley of Beverly Hills Cop carried one.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop used one.

Hah. You beat me to it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty sure John Wayne carried a Hi Power in the documentary McQ.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Detective Swyteck carried one in Miami Vice.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Usual Suspects, New Jack City are a few more that come to mind with BHP’s featured prominently.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In Raiders, there was a shootout scene where Indy starts the fight using a shortened M1917 .45 ACP, then (without explanation) he's using an automatic. To me, it looked like a 1911. Is that the scene you mean?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Okay, looking at it now, it does appear to be a Hi Power.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lee Woiteshek: I worked with John Wayne on the "movie" McQ" (1974) I can not for the life of me remember what he was packin for the "movie" to begin with but eventually he is bounced from the PD (IIRC) and then goes to a hock shop and indeed buys a Browning Hi-Power and a MAC-10.
But my point is it was NOT a documentary just a quickly put together and just an okay (in my opinion) police murder mystery.
My job was to keep Mr. Wayne safe and unimpeded by the numerous fans and lookey-lou's that followed him everywhere.
May Mr. Wayne rest in peace he was a true American and a true gentleman.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes, the first shootout scene in the bar, the auto he transitioned to was a BHP. Also on the ship toward the end of the movie Harrison can be seen with one.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The Real Hawkeye: I watched the video clip you provided and indeed it appears Indy started out with a revolver and then later in the bar scene shootout he commences firing with a Browning Hi-Power.
I may have missed something - like he carried two guns or commandeered another pistol somewhere?
Maybe the prop-master screwed up and in day two of the shootout filming he went with the semi-auto?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Here's a list of movies featuring the HiPower and various clones. It's a long list.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Fegvergyar_PJK-9HP#Fegvergyar_PJK-9HP

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Here's a list of movies featuring the HiPower and various clones. It's a long list.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Fegvergyar_PJK-9HP#Fegvergyar_PJK-9HP

Yes, that is a very long list.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The Real Hawkeye: I watched the video clip you provided and indeed it appears Indy started out with a revolver and then later in the bar scene shootout he commences firing with a Browning Hi-Power.
I may have missed something - like he carried two guns or commandeered another pistol somewhere?
Maybe the prop-master screwed up and in day two of the shootout filming he went with the semi-auto?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That could be it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Varmint Guy, the "documentary" was meant as a joke. That said I envy you meeting and working for Mr. Wayne. He was everything good about America. I can't believe what this country has become in the last 30 years, and I'm too old to do anything about it other than vote. And that doesn't seem to be working. Lee

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The guns of Indiana Jones:

https://www.indygear.com/igguns.html

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That could be it.

'That' is what I love about 'speculation' - The possibilities are endless! smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.