Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

If I want 30-30 velocities,I will use a 30-30.

That ain't no fun.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I generally place the Test Tube on top of a 12x18 inch box full of tightly-packed dry newspapers. After checking POI, I shoot one bullet into the tube, then 3-5 more of the same load into the newspaper.JB

John,

Thanks for the directions.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hammer1

If I want 30-30 velocities,I will use a 30-30.

That ain't no fun.

Thats why I don't use a 30-30.The extra velocity of the 300ultramag kills everything just fine with much less wind drift and bullet drop to consider.

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

For each specific bullet type, e.g., Barnes Triple Shock, Hornady Interlock...

Using the Bullet Test Tube, seems like a simple factorial experiment could be designed to calculate response surface models (likely nonlinear) for penetration, wound channel volume, depth of maximum wound diameter, etc using bullet weight and striking velocity.

Not even thinking that these equations would predict the variations of real life animals, but the equations would give us easy ways to compare performance between bullets and to determine optimum bullet weights and velocities, or at least determine points of diminishing marginal returns to more recoil.

Who's already done it ?

For which specific bullets ?

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thats why I don't use a 30-30.The extra velocity of the 300ultramag kills everything just fine with much less wind drift and bullet drop to consider.

If you get close enough, wind drift and bullet drop don't matter. wink

Wonder if downloading the 300 RUM to 30-30 would be as much a challenge as downloading the 30-378 Wby was ? wink

Years ago when I had nothing else to do one day, got 30-inch long barrels made for the 7TCU, 7BR, 7-08, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7-300 Wby, and 7RUM to do testing for the 7mm family without having to download any of them too much. Did similar things with other calibers. But downloading can be a hobby unto itself and be quite fun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wally
A little something to stir the pot.....
Shoot something like a 375 with 4000 ft lbs energy and experience all that knock down power......I've shot several Tubes with 500 grainers from a 458 Lott and enjoyed all those tons of energy.... problem is, the Tube hadnt read about all the energy, and it just laid there, didnt go flying off in the distance like it as supposed to.... cry
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Shoot something like a 375 with 4000 ft lbs energy and experience all that knock down power......I've shot several Tubes with 500 grainers from a 458 Lott and enjoyed all those tons of energy....

Is that energy enjoyed more with the use of a Caldwell Lead Sled ?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hammer
Its all the excuse I need to pop the cork on a bottle of Makers Mark.... laugh
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wonder if a horse trough of White Karo syrup would work for testing bullets ?

A little thicker than water, don't have to wait for melting and resetting between shots, can see right into the tank and see the bullet to find it and measure its penetration, bullet will not sink...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Wally
Shoot something like a 375 with 4000 ft lbs energy and experience all that knock down power......I've shot several Tubes with 500 grainers from a 458 Lott and enjoyed all those tons of energy.... problem is, the Tube hadnt read about all the energy, and it just laid there, didnt go flying off in the distance like it as supposed to.... cry
Charlie

That is something I Intend to do. In fact, I've already noticed
a remarkable LACK of movement with the cartridges I have shot, including the 9.3x62. So much for the old knockdown theory! shocked

Steve

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hammer1

For each specific bullet type, e.g., Barnes Triple Shock, Hornady Interlock...

Using the Bullet Test Tube, seems like a simple factorial experiment could be designed to calculate response surface models (likely nonlinear) for penetration, wound channel volume, depth of maximum wound diameter, etc using bullet weight and striking velocity.

Not even thinking that these equations would predict the variations of real life animals, but the equations would give us easy ways to compare performance between bullets and to determine optimum bullet weights and velocities, or at least determine points of diminishing marginal returns to more recoil.

Who's already done it ?

For which specific bullets ?

As the Geico caveman so eloquently replies.........."WHAT?" blush

Sorry, I'm just a simple firefighter, and somewhat of a caveman. smile

Steve

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by lazyered
Okay Wally,
How about if you tell us what bullets you did shoot, and how did they compare to the horndy bullets.

And deprive you of all the same thrills and expectations I experienced?

Everyone has there own ideas of what a bullet should be. I wanted to use the Hornady as my baseline, reference, or whatever you'd like to say. I also wanted to see for myself what the differences are between the Nosler Partition and the Nosler Accubonds. A noted and respected gunwriter who hangs around here says it is nothing to worry about. No disrespect to him, but I wanted to see for myself.

Most of what I shot was out of my 30-06, my primary elk rifle. Personally,I no longer have any qualms or doubts about the accubond. They looked real good. The partitions, as expected, were the penetration winners in their respective calibers. But, I still want to compare all of them to the triple shock.

On the other hand, if you told me I had to use Hornady Interlocks, I'd load them up and go hunting. This test reinforced the fact to me that as long as you are using a decent bullet, placement is key. wink

I hope that helps.

Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hammer,

The inventor of the Tes Tube has shot hundreds of different bullets into it now, with all sorts of factorial results.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'am waiting for some results. Could someone please post some test results?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Wally
Charlie

That's funny, Charlie. I've noticed critters can't read ballistic charts either. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hammer1
Something else to keep in mind.......Bullet manufacturers change the construction of their bullets from time to time. Here lately it seems they change every few days, bullets getting better and better all the time. So the test you ran last year may or may not be accurate this year, as the label on the box may be the same, but the contents are much much different.
Charlie

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I dont know, the test tube seems like a good idea, BUTTTTTT, with todays great bullets their performance is so predictable its boring. Want a great penetrator that wont break up? TSX or maybe you want a bullet to expand really well and not loose its core, Swift scirroco. Most of the others seem to fall in between these two extremes.Of course you always hear the tale of how the TSX didnt expand or something else, but test media never seems to prove this out, in conclusion, test media is not animal media.

I think that Hornady bullets are the best of the conventional cup and core, BUTTTTTTT,they can lose their cores. And surprise, surprise, Nosler partitions are really the best of both worlds.

What kind of surprises me is that the Hornady inter-bond gets no recognition or respect, the true Rodney Dangerfield of bonded bullets. If it wasnt for JJ Hack using them in Africa i would have thought it wasnt being produced any more.Any one test the inter-bomb?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have tested the .25-06 in the test tube at 100 yards with the 110g AB, 115g NBT, 90g LRT J36, 100g GS Custom HV100, 110g IB, 100g TSX.

Penetration:
90g LRT- 15.4"
100g TSX- 14"
110g IB- 12.5"
110g AB- 12.5"
115g NBT- 12"
100g HV100- still going

Percent retained wt/expanded diameter
100g TSX- 100%/0.583"
90g LRT- 84%/ 0.267"
110g IB- 82.5%/ 0.698"
110g AB-62.7%/0.464"
115g NBT-55.1%/ 0.591"
100g HV100- didnt catch

Volume of wound cavity (length of cavity x width squared)
115 NBT- 17.6
110g IB- 16.9
110g AB- 14.3
100g TSX- 9.3
90g LRT- 1.5
100g HV- 14.8, but still going, width of cavity consistent at 1.125 inches, length of cavity >9.5 inches, number based on 9.5 inches.

Of the bullets recovered, the penetration potential (recovered weight divided by recovered diameter) held true. LRT>TSX>NAB>IB>NBT which correlates to penetration in the tube.

I plan to retest the HV100 because of not catching it. I also found it neat the color of the wax after shooting and the fact that the IB, AB, BT had a black color to it whereas, the monolithics did not change the color of the media. I also plan to test the 115g NP to give a comparison. I have 115g TBBC and 120g SAF to also test. I will post when I get time after I shoot.

If someone tells me how to post pictures, I have pictures of all of the tubes and the wound cavities that I would be willing to post.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just wondering why the volume of wound cavity was calculated rather than measured with water, as it easily can be, one of the virtues of the TT?

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Most notable reason is the fact that it is messy. Also, the HV kept a consistent wound cavity through the tube as well as the extender. Makes it harder to separate and continue to measure the water without making a wreck of your garage. (May just be my experience).

I have found it easier to cut in half, photograph with tape measure and make my measurements based on the pictures.

If you are consistent, is one better than the other?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.