Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Subaru Brat was front wheel drive (when in 2wd).
Dunno if they made a 2wd only.
The couple i saw were 4x4.

Ford courier was a Mazda.

Chevy Luv was Isuzu.

Worked for GM and had some folks driving them.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Had the Datsun 1600 that little sucker could carry a load of oak.

No power but could carry a lot lol.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Those Datsuns had a tough engine.
Too bad everything else rotted away on em.
Hauled my first deer out of the riverbottom w one 😎

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I plucked a β€˜76ish Chevy Luv out of my dads junkyard at about 12 years old as a field bomber. Had several successful rides before trying some high speed back up maneuvers. Got going a little too fast and stuffed the gas instead of the brake. Looked down to see what my feet were doing, and cut the wheel for a better view! I slammed into a 15” birch tree and peeled all the bark off, while caving in the back of the old Chevy. Not a problem, I thought, I nailed the bark back on, and carefully backed the truck into a position that nobody would walk behind. Who knew (at 12yo) that nailed on birch bark would curl up in the matter of days … busted. After that Dad figured I might me a little young to have free access to the junkyard. And yes, it was a full framed RWD.

Ready, Fire, Aim
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 2nd vehicle was a little chevy luv rear wheel drive when I was about 16. After I got it tuned up it ran pretty well. I barely fit in it, my knees touched the dash. My friend had a diesel Isuzu pup that he loved and drove forever.

Bb

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
The Courier was nothing more than a re-badged Mazda.

Good little trucks by all accounts.

My dad bought the Mazda version in 1980, it was the B2000. Coming from a Ford pickup with a 302 that got 10 mpg he was crazy about that little pickup and the 32-35 mpg he got out of it. I remember it was a 5 speed manual and didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way, but it was perfect for him running 100 miles a day between his income tax offices with boxes of files in the back. If I remember right he crashed it with about 150,000 miles on it and still going strong, which was unheard of mileage in those days when a U.S. made vehicle was lucky to go 100,000 miles. He replaced it with another mazda pickup but by that time they'd made it a B2200 model and it didn't get quite the fuel mileage of the old one, but it was still getting over 30 mpg. Now 40 years later we still can't build a pickup that'll get that kind of fuel mileage.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dad used both as a contract mail carrier.He liked the Chevy Luv best.Wasn't a bad little truck Dad taught me how to drive and it was a Chevy Luv.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In '73, we were looking for a small truck. We looked at the Courier and were considering it until I looked at the oil filter. It was under the engine and on top of the axle. I didn't see any way to get at it without a hoist. We bought a Datsun.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The Rampage was a pickup version of the POS Dodge Charger FWD 4 cylinder. My brother's first new car was a black and silver Charger in 1981 or 1982. 3 year note at 19.99%. Don't miss those days, buy they will be back soon enough unless we get a new president and congress.

Regards,

Kris

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my tiny s10 2wd pickup was the bomb ...4c 5s trash hauler and 40 mile hyw boo hunt cart ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My first vehicle was an 86' Isuzu P'up, 2wd. I owned a 4wd one later. Both good vehicles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

My dad bought the Mazda version in 1980, it was the B2000. Coming from a Ford pickup with a 302 that got 10 mpg he was crazy about that little pickup and the 32-35 mpg he got out of it. I remember it was a 5 speed manual and didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way, but it was perfect for him running 100 miles a day between his income tax offices with boxes of files in the back. If I remember right he crashed it with about 150,000 miles on it and still going strong, which was unheard of mileage in those days when a U.S. made vehicle was lucky to go 100,000 miles. He replaced it with another mazda pickup but by that time they'd made it a B2200 model and it didn't get quite the fuel mileage of the old one, but it was still getting over 30 mpg. Now 40 years later we still can't build a pickup that'll get that kind of fuel mileage.

I remember that the first new car I bought, an β€˜88 Chevy Nova, had a whopping 70 HP. 1,6 L, standard. 65 Mph max with any headwind.

If the consumer would be willing to buy cars/trucks with 70 hp again, mileage would be a lot better than we’re getting now.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I remember that the first new car I bought, an β€˜88 Chevy Nova, had a whopping 70 HP. 1,6 L, standard. 65 Mph max with any headwind.

If the consumer would be willing to buy cars/trucks with 70 hp again, mileage would be a lot better than we’re getting now.

I would buy a diesel Hilux in a heartbeat.

Not new of course.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The early small pickups were all 2wd. I remember seeing some 4x4 conversion kits that included the front axle, transfer case, etc. It cost approximately the same as the original new pickup. I don't remember which car maker came out with the 1st factory 4x4 small pickup but it didn't take long for the rest to follow suit.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I owned both a Datsun and a Mitsubishi mini-truck. The Datsun was -- well, a Datsun. Utter crap. The Mitsu was 4wd and gave me great service for years. I drove it to a lot of out-of-state gun shows carrying all my stuff and it got pretty good mileage. I took it to an oil change place one time for a complete service - except that they forgot to refill the transfer case with lube. They ended up buying me a new one. Sold it not long after that.

As a class, they were useful, handy, and cheap to run. But pretty small for the average American, had jouncy ride, and limited haul capacity.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My Datsun wasn't a bad pickup except for the seat. It broke down very quickly and sagged in the back. It was a back breaker.

― George Orwell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a Dodge D-50 4x4 back in the day. It was a rebranded Mitsubishi. A dandy little truck. I still helieve there would be a brisk market for a base model small truck. They were so handy and cheap.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They started out cheap but people wanted a/c so they added it. Then they wanted auto transmissions so they added those. The the government demanded dozens of new safety features so they added those. Then people wanted better seats, 4 doors, power steering, etc. so they added those. The cheap pickups were gone because of demand and regulations. I doubt that a base model would sell. We're too demanding of our comfort.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Car based, front wheel drive β€œpickups”. Like the VW Rabbit pickup. Ford is reintroducing the Courier this year, I think.

They were RWD and built like trucks.

Ok, what am I confusing them with, then? I’m drawing a blank......

Subaru Brat, probably.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce β€œThe Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I priced a Luv, in 1974 the dealer told me he could sell me a halfton for the same or less money.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.