Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's the purpose ? Pretty even mix of polarized v. non polarized of receptacles and plugs at our house.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
To keep you on your toes..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Safety, helps keep us alive.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The reason for polarized receptacles is because of divorce being so common. Engineers design this stuff to the simplest, stupidest lowest level possible. The divorced wife or abandoned african female. If you change a standard bulb 'Edison 26' when the socket is hot, you can get a shock on an old non polarized circuit if you touch the female socket. So, now we have a polarized system, the neutral is grounded and reads zero volts to earth ground if you touch it when it is hot. So, ladies, just for you little princesses...assuming you have the skills to change a bulb, now you need not overburden your mind by having to remember to shut off the switch before you change the bulb.
Also, the Chinese schidt flooding our markets, need not be equipped with double pole switches. Ah, life is good.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some new devices, electronics, are polarity specific. Old light bulbs and the like didn't care which direction the electricity flowed.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wayne...jeezus, it's called alternating current, the f....ing polarity changes 120 times a second.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Some new devices, electronics, are polarity specific. Old light bulbs and the like didn't care which direction the electricity flowed.

True. I just solved a problem today where polarity was an issue.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seriously lol'd reading this thread.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

True. I just solved a problem today where polarity was an issue.

bruinruin;
Good evening sir, I hope the first week of August was a good one for you and all in your world are well.

The first time I heard of such a thing, I'd moved a wall plug at work - didn't call the electrician as any idiot can do it, correct?

Well..... that receptacle was for the TigerStop Fence on a pneumatic chop saw, which is computerized.

When I couldn't get it working properly, I plugged in something else electric, say a drill and of course it worked fine. So I called TigerStop and they were extremely helpful actually, the tech asking me if I was sure that the polarity was correct on the receptacle.

"The what sir?" was my response and of course now I was the idiot who couldn't do it! shocked

I called our regular electrician who was busy that day, but explained to me how to wire the receptacle correctly and of course the TigerStop worked perfectly thereafter.

So ends my tale of learning what polarity entailed. wink

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/06/21. Reason: more info.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With a polarized line, if there's a short in a tool or appliance, there's no current after the switch for safety. If the polarity is reversed, the entire tool is still hot.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Wayne...jeezus, it's called alternating current, the f....ing polarity changes 120 times a second.

C'mon man.......ever see a circuit tester?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCRooster
I have seriously lol'd reading this thread.

You are not alone

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It works the same as polarized glasses. Polarized electricity lets you see if there are any fish in your walls.

Also, it's the government. One wire is Republican and the other one is Democrat. The Republican side does all the work and the Democrat side just takes all the power back again.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LMAO most of you have no fricking idea.
Retired IBEW.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Traveler, Please, Help us out, life is hard enough without us old farts wallowing in stupid too. I thought the 'new' receptacles ensured the narrow blade would be hot and the wider blade would be neutral. As I thought the word 'polarity' is normally used, it is primarily used in DC. In AC, the polarity is switched 60 times a second? Looking at an oscilloscope trace, half the wave is on the positive side and half the wave is on the negative?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Traveler52
LMAO most of you have no fricking idea.
Retired IBEW.

I bet you miss your coffee breaks don’t you?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It works the same as polarized glasses. Polarized electricity lets you see if there are any fish in your walls.

Also, it's the government. One wire is Republican and the other one is Democrat. The Republican side does all the work and the Democrat side just takes all the power back again.

Rocko, would the Libertarians be the neutral? Or, the crazy leg?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clearly, the third wire is color-coded. It's the Green Party. Dedicated to the earth. It has no power at all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Traveler, Please, Help us out, life is hard enough without us old farts wallowing in stupid too. I thought the 'new' receptacles ensured the narrow blade would be hot and the wider blade would be neutral. As I thought the word 'polarity' is normally used, it is primarily used in DC. In AC, the polarity is switched 60 times a second? Looking at an oscilloscope trace, half the wave is on the positive side and half the wave is on the negative?
The industry is calling them polarized outlets, right or wrong. It's now the accepted terminology so we're stuck with it just like we're stuck with clip for magazine, bullet for cartridge, and assault rifle for semiauto.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, AlanF, 11 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,663
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.