Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16325669 08/09/21
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was at a small park Thursday eating lunch in my truck, and under a large oak tree . it was leaning toward me and a friend said that the tree would soon fall.. as it was leaning over and the earth behind it was bulging up. I went home and Friday went by the park on the way to my Dr. the tree was down and was being cut up.. It had falling during the night , had it fallen while I was there it would have fallen on me and my truck killing me and possibly 5 Females eating at a nearby pick nick table.. the largest branches completely filled the parking space I was in.............lesson learned ... do not park under leaning trees no matter the Weather..that was too close. the stump was 32 in across..

Last edited by Hubert; 08/09/21.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There's a reason they are called widowmakers.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A bout 20 years ago, I was driving home on an interstate with my wife and 5 of our 6 kids. I saw headlights in our lane coming at me and, of course, it took a few seconds to register. There was a car next to us so I floored it and pulled in front of the other car just in time as a 3/4 ton pickup went flying by. Of course my wife and kids had no idea what I was doing until the truck flew by. They were all shocked that at least my wife and I could have died.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some years back my then-wife and I were on our way back to Texas after New Years. Though no snow was forecast, on the Interstate south of Morgantown WV after dark we drove into a blizzard. In no time at all the highway lane markers were covered and you couldn’t see through the falling snow where the road was, didn’t dare stop either because you’d be hit from behind. I was driving blind, wife and dogs in the car.

At one point we were passed by hardly visible semi truck lights above us and to our right, we musta been out n the far left shoulder, the truck behind that one let us inch over and we fell in behind the first truck, his taillights barely visible.

Everyone was getting off at the next exit , so did we, spent the night in the car. Woke up to about eight inches of snow and 9 F.

I just drove that same stretch this summer in daylight, hills and curves, dunno how we stayed on the pavement.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
A bout 20 years ago, I was driving home on an interstate with my wife and 5 of our 6 kids. I saw headlights in our lane coming at me and, of course, it took a few seconds to register. There was a car next to us so I floored it and pulled in front of the other car just in time as a 3/4 ton pickup went flying by. Of course my wife and kids had no idea what I was doing until the truck flew by. They were all shocked that at least my wife and I could have died.

We just had one of these this past weekend, 25 yo Nurse and a friend in a Nissan Rogue in a head-on at 2:45am with a drunk in an F350.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...n-killed-in-crash-16374236.php#taboola-1

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Tent cabin on USFS trail crew, in a grove of big aspen and spruce. 10 days on/ 4 days off. Came back after weekend to find a big tree had come down through the middle of the tent.

"But that's OK", said the foreman. "Only Gary would have been killed outright." smile

Drawing down on a big moose, about to pull the trigger. His head was partially screened by some light alder leaves, his body completely obscured by the lower brush, so all I could see was one antler, an eye, and an ear. The 250 gr just left of the eye would not have been impeded at all.

Without a sound, a big- maybe 30 lb- cottonwood limb crashed to the ground beside me, less than a foot away.

I took that as a sign. (when I came down)..... and so did the bull, (before I came down). smile

Driving on 6" if glare ice in an F150, 10 foot of 2" steel pipe in the back. Lost control, into the ditch, sudden stop. The pipe popped up and came forward, taking out my driver's side mirror. The nape of my neck still crawls just thinking about it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was coming home from Albany N.Y. on I 87 in a snow storm. 3 lane highway, i was driving my Expedition in the left lane,wide passing a guy in a car in the right lane.I saw a lump ahead of me in the left lane and i swerved into the middle lane and just missed a stopped car in the left lane,half covered in snow,no flashers on,idiot just sitting there next to the guardrail.I just missed him,guy in the right lane pulled up next to me and rolled down his window,"HOLY [bleep]!. your not kidding.That would have been a catastrophic accident,dead all around.That was a hand of God one for sure.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer

We just had one of these this past weekend, 25 yo Nurse and a friend in a Nissan Rogue in a head-on at 2:45am with a drunk in an F350.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...n-killed-in-crash-16374236.php#taboola-1

Drunks, Sleeping and suicides.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont camp near dead trees or under those with dead branches.

Lot of people killed yearly in windy forests.

Dont camp by huge oaks if the ground is saturated either. Small winds topple them.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This reminds me of the time Fireballz started choking on his breakfast burrito and found The Jeebus.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A Tennessee teen practicing his surfing technique got upstaged by a shark last week, when the rambunctious predator burst from the ocean a few feet away and began a series of Olympic-style spins.

It happened Friday off North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, according to the teen’s mother, Kaci Allen. She identified the surfer as her 15-year-old son, Ethan, whom she calls “E.”

Her video shows Ethan’s surf board crossed over the shark a split second before it jumped from the water.
I didn’t even realize we’d captured the shark jumping up right after he pulled his feet up on the board!

I didn’t see this one until he was scrolling through videos! ... Seriously though, (as) soon as E pulled his feet up! ... We’ve seen sharks in the water before, but never captured video of one; they’re fast!”

The family lives near Nashville, Tennessee, but Kaci Allen is a Myrtle Beach native, according to her Facebook page.

It’s believed the shark was a young spinner shark, a species common off South Carolina that grows to about 6 feet and 120 pounds, according to Sciencing.com. Spinner sharks are not considered a threat to humans, the site says.

“This shark hunts by rapidly swimming upward into a school of fish while spinning and biting in all directions,” Sciencing.com reports. “It often breaches the water surface and spins through the air, which is how it gets its name.”

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA

A Tennessee teen practicing his surfing technique got upstaged by a shark last week, when the rambunctious predator burst from the ocean a few feet away and began a series of Olympic-style spins.

It happened Friday off North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, according to the teen’s mother, Kaci Allen. She identified the surfer as her 15-year-old son, Ethan, whom she calls “E.”

Her video shows Ethan’s surf board crossed over the shark a split second before it jumped from the water.
I didn’t even realize we’d captured the shark jumping up right after he pulled his feet up on the board!

I didn’t see this one until he was scrolling through videos! ... Seriously though, (as) soon as E pulled his feet up! ... We’ve seen sharks in the water before, but never captured video of one; they’re fast!”

The family lives near Nashville, Tennessee, but Kaci Allen is a Myrtle Beach native, according to her Facebook page.

It’s believed the shark was a young spinner shark, a species common off South Carolina that grows to about 6 feet and 120 pounds, according to Sciencing.com. Spinner sharks are not considered a threat to humans, the site says.

“This shark hunts by rapidly swimming upward into a school of fish while spinning and biting in all directions,” Sciencing.com reports. “It often breaches the water surface and spins through the air, which is how it gets its name.”

That shark was long arming him.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
I was at a small park Thursday eating lunch in my truck, and under a large oak tree . it was leaning toward me and a friend said that the tree would soon fall.. as it was leaning over and the earth behind it was bulging up. I went home and Friday went by the park on the way to my Dr. the tree was down and was being cut up.. It had falling during the night , had it fallen while I was there it would have fallen on me and my truck killing me and possibly 5 Females eating at a nearby pick nick table.. the largest branches completely filled the parking space I was in.............lesson learned ... do not park under leaning trees no matter the Weather..that was too close. the stump was 32 in across..

I consider the guys next to me getting shot and I didn't a "close" call.

That just sounds lucky, but hours away from "close."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friday a westbound trucker had a car brakecheck him on the Narrows Bridge
over the river. His load, a steel mill roll(20' long x 20odd inches solid steel)
broke lose,
went through the headache rack,
through the bunk,
And pushed his seat forward. Bending the frame it's mounted on.

No injuries.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Hubert

I consider the guys next to me getting shot and I didn't a "close" call.

That just sounds lucky, but hours away from "close."

I spend a lot of time there feeding the squirrels , I was lucky I left when I did..there was no storm of any kind... no wind or anything to cause the tree to fall.. except Heat it was 92 most of the day..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA

Spinner shark, wasn't trying to attack him, just doing what spinners do.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
too many to remember. 2 or 3 involving trees falling near me. made me very conscious of what is over my head.

probably most puckering was when i was cruising along on the PA turnpike on my bike about 70 mph and had not one, but two tires/wheels come off a flatbed truck and narrowly miss me. i'm talking like 5 feet. i never realized how tall tractor trailer tires were until one went right past me. sucky part was i still had a couple hundred miles to go.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Spinner shark, wasn't trying to attack him, just doing what spinners do.

Agree, just though the video capture was unique and kinda cool.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Our house was struck by lightening last week. I have never seen anything like that. There was 4 large booms and flashes right next to our house.....sounded like it was in the living room. It was just on the other side of our windows. It fried our wireless router, signal booster, cordless phone, and modem. I was even on the computer at the time, and nothing happened to it. I guess my extra ground wire and surge protector worked like it was supposed to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Close call near every day. Especially if one gets in his rig.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,964
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.