-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owned 1 & shot a couple others. All had factory rounded or bobbed hammers. No way I'm thumbing it down on a live round. There's not enough purchase & I'd rather not have my thumb mangled by the slide. I don't understand why cocked & locked is debated it's the way the pistol was designed to be used.

Romans 5:1
GB1

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
There will be a "Handgun Stopping Power" thread shortly. 😁😁😁

So much for wanting to reach responsible members.

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Or, maybe, they are just tired of you preaching at them with your holier-than-thou goofiness. Read their responses again, they know this stuff inside and out, and do NOT put their hammers on half-cock, because they already know better and don't have to have you preaching at them. I've been fooling with 1911s for over 40 years now, and I sure as hell don't need anyone to tell me not to do it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've got a personal responsibility to properly instruct younger family members if they are shooting here. Beyond that, I mind my own business.

Your own business does not include advice to friends, acquaintances and their family members?

Originally Posted by SargeMO
Charlie's 1911 had the rawhide safety cord added to prevent unintentional interference with intentional discharges.

We’ve already heard about Charlie Miller, the crusty old Ranger. But being an old lawman, by itself, does not necessarily mean a guy knows what he’s doing when it comes to guns. Take for example Bill Allard, a member of Jim Cirillo’s NYPD Stake Out Squad, who claimed 9 kills on the job, but who also accidentally shot his Podiatrist in the foot with an altered 1911 10mm during a medical exam about four years ago in Nassau County, NY.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Apparently Allard's Podiatrist didn't mess up bad enough to be number 10, but Bill still felt like teaching him a lesson.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Apparently Allard's Podiatrist didn't mess up bad enough to be number 10, but Bill still felt like teaching him a lesson.

A painful lesson it was for them both, too, as the 10mm bullet passed through Bill’s thigh before blowing up his Podiatrist’s foot.

Goes to show that even a know-it-all “gunfighter” can still have something to learn about gun handling.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So, you recognize no personal responsibility to discuss it with anyone else?

People carrying 1911s are dying at a rate orders of magnitude beyond their ability to shoot themselves. Take solace in the fact that this crisis will resolve itself shortly without our intervention.

Last edited by RufusG; 08/09/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
go be a sheep dog if you want. You are wasting time with this silliness here though.

So, you see no value in this thread, whatsoever?

zip, zero, nada. Since you asked.

Sam......

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG
So, you recognize no personal responsibility to discuss it with anyone else?

People carrying 1911s are dying at a rate orders of magnitude beyond their ability to shoot themselves. Take solace in the fact that this crisis will resolve itself shortly without our intervention.

Wouldn’t be so sure about that. All of the 1911 self-shooters I’ve described in my posts, other than Allard, were under 40 years of age. Us geezers are not the most frequent 1911 self-shooters. It’s the M9 generation, which has had very little practical exposure to correct 1911 use, and no peers from which to learn it. It falls to us to educate them when and where we can.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
go be a sheep dog if you want. You are wasting time with this silliness here though.

Of the 489 members who have viewed this thread so far, only you and five others have cracked wise or sour. This thread is not meant for you.
Ignore it and move on.

IC B3

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Or, maybe, they are just tired of you preaching at them with your holier-than-thou goofiness. Read their responses again, they know this stuff inside and out, and do NOT put their hammers on half-cock, because they already know better and don't have to have you preaching at them. I've been fooling with 1911s for over 40 years now, and I sure as hell don't need anyone to tell me not to do it.

It’s not about you.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Of the 489 members who have viewed this thread so far, only you and four others have cracked wise or sour. This thread is not meant for you.
Ignore it and move on.

You don't have many friends, do you? I mean, being from California and living in Tennessee and everything... (make it six).

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Of the 489 members who have viewed this thread so far, only you and four others have cracked wise or sour. This thread is not meant for you.
Ignore it and move on.

You don't have many friends, do you? I mean, being from California and living in Tennessee and everything... (make it six).

We don’t want to be counting the same know-it-alls twice, now do we. This ain’t the national elections.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
490. And 7 now!

52 years old gave only owned a 1911 for a few years.
30 or 40 years ago I had read enough to know that a loaded
1911 was cocked and locked.

How it's done.
The established and only proper safe way to do it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
well Exchipy, I guess in the end, this thread is all about you. laughing. Enjoy talking to yourself.

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

A painful lesson it was for them both, too, as the 10mm bullet passed through Bill’s thigh before blowing up his Podiatrist’s foot.

Goes to show that even a know-it-all “gunfighter” can still have something to learn about gun handling.

Ok, was Bill carrying a 1911 with the hammer down on a hot chamber when he went to the podiatrist? Either way, I detect mucho irony in the podiatrist being shot in the foot.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well Exchipy, I guess in the end, this thread is all about you. laughing. Enjoy talking to yourself.

If you say so.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Ok, was Bill carrying a 1911 with the hammer down on a hot chamber when he went to the podiatrist? Either way, I detect mucho irony in the podiatrist being shot in the foot.

Don’t know how the hammer had been kept. Examination of the pistol disclosed a lighter than specified trigger pull and that the grip safety was not under any spring tension, just flopping around, enough aftermarket foolishness to let the pistol manufacturer off the hook.

The irony of the event was not lost on those concerned, except for maybe Bill and the Podiatrist.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Oh.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Excerpted from a 1911 user’s manual.

Go back to CA asshat.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.