Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that old 1911 has been thru a few wars and saved plenty lives ,its just a grand old safe pistol. COCKED AND LOCKED here !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
that old 1911 has been thru a few wars and saved plenty lives ,its just a grand old safe pistol. COCKED AND LOCKED here !

Be sure to pass that on for those who don’t yet know it.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with youse guys, including these two (who may now be rethinking their position):

The guy whose 1911 bumped against some furniture and shot his girlfriend’s dog in the head (unknown if fatally).

The guy who, while wandering the high desert with his dog and some friends, leaned over to attend to his dog and shot off one of his testicles. Fortunately for him, his friends were able to summon a lifeflight helo to get him to a hospital.

They are out there among us, and need to be correctly informed before they can follow in these fellows’ (bloody?) footsteps.

That one really sounds fishy. Mexican carry (no holster) , just stuck in his waist band with the barrel pointed down at his genitals????? I've carried Govt. Model 1911 Colt pistols for years in OWB and IWB holsters, plus shoulder holsters, and have never, ever carried the pistol where it would be pointed at my genitals.

As I said, that story sounds more than a little strange to me. frown

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After 110 years ... just let the ones that don’t know shoot themselves . Horse has been beat

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with youse guys, including these two (who may now be rethinking their position):

The guy whose 1911 bumped against some furniture and shot his girlfriend’s dog in the head (unknown if fatally).

The guy who, while wandering the high desert with his dog and some friends, leaned over to attend to his dog and shot off one of his testicles. Fortunately for him, his friends were able to summon a lifeflight helo to get him to a hospital.

They are out there among us, and need to be correctly informed before they can follow in these fellows’ (bloody?) footsteps.

That one really sounds fishy. Mexican carry (no holster) , just stuck in his waist band with the barrel pointed down at his genitals????? I've carried Govt. Model 1911 Colt pistols for years in OWB and IWB holsters, plus shoulder holsters, and have never, ever carried the pistol where it would be pointed at my genitals.

As I said, that story sounds more than a little strange to me. frown

L.W.

This self-shooter claimed the hammer was back with the safety on in “condition one.” He said the pistol discharged while in its holster, while both his hands were on the dog, and without the trigger being pulled. A responding Deputy Sheriff checked out the pistol and found that it and all of its safeties were functioning properly. The wound was found to be inconsistent with one of his companions shooting him. So, I expect it was either in an IWB holster worn appendix carry or an OWB holster worn Gabby Hayes style, then a deep knee bend to deal with the dog and the hammer either fully down and snagged or jarred from false half-cock.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't get the Cap'n Obvious stuff.

Carried a cocked and locked 1911 for a couple decades.
OWB to the side.

No big deal.

Checking a gun after an incident is good, but doesn't replicate the incident, so cannot be used to make definitive claims.
Have seen some screwups where people have sworn they didn't cause it.
Either lying or actually believing (for whatever reasons) that they didn't.

When I observed the error.

By supposedly trained people.

Gun realm or not, I just don't believe people........because most are clueless and or stupid, and some evil..........and once lawyers get involved it gets worse.

1911 went off. That about sums it up for me.

Have seen Series 80 gun fire when slide dropped and no finger in trigger.
That a known issue. Heard about it, and finally, saw it.
My current (a series 90) still wears the safety parts and has been flawless.

I carry it off to the side anyways LOL
Aint shoving any gun muzzle towards my junk.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/10/21.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My wife would kill me if I carried aimed at my junk.

1911"s ?
Cocked and Locked. Next question?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally, I'd only carry a 1911 cocked and locked in a holster that covers the firing pin. The 1911 is by no means an unsafe platform (I wouldn't have bought one otherwise), but you're still sticking a cocked autoloader in your pants.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Personally, I'd only carry a 1911 cocked and locked in a holster that covers the firing pin. The 1911 is by no means an unsafe platform (I wouldn't have bought one otherwise), but you're still sticking a cocked autoloader in your pants.

How does a holster cover a firing pin?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
go be a sheep dog if you want. You are wasting time with this silliness here though.

So, you see no value in this thread, whatsoever?

Uhhh, Nope.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
deleted double-tap

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/10/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=SargeMO]I've got a personal responsibility to properly instruct younger family members if they are shooting here. Beyond that, I mind my own business.

Your own business does not include advice to friends, acquaintances and their family members?

Absolutely not. If they want my opinion, they'll ask. If I want any advice I give to be taken seriously, I certainly don't want to come across as a self-important horse's ass with a hall monitor complex.

In case you hadn't noticed, unsolicited advice is generally about as welcome as JWs showing up on your doorstep with inspirational reading material.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

A painful lesson it was for them both, too, as the 10mm bullet passed through Bill’s thigh before blowing up his Podiatrist’s foot.

Goes to show that even a know-it-all “gunfighter” can still have something to learn about gun handling.

Don’t know how the hammer had been kept. Examination of the pistol disclosed a lighter than specified trigger pull and that the grip safety was not under any spring tension, just flopping around, enough aftermarket foolishness to let the pistol manufacturer off the hook.

The irony of the event was not lost on those concerned, except for maybe Bill and the Podiatrist.

When did you examine his 1911?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

A painful lesson it was for them both, too, as the 10mm bullet passed through Bill’s thigh before blowing up his Podiatrist’s foot.

Goes to show that even a know-it-all “gunfighter” can still have something to learn about gun handling.

Don’t know how the hammer had been kept. Examination of the pistol disclosed a lighter than specified trigger pull and that the grip safety was not under any spring tension, just flopping around, enough aftermarket foolishness to let the pistol manufacturer off the hook.

The irony of the event was not lost on those concerned, except for maybe Bill and the Podiatrist.

When did you examine his 1911?

The examination of that pistol was not conducted by me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Word of advice. Tennesseans do not take kindly to folks moving to Tennessee and telling them how to do things.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Boomer454

How does a holster cover a firing pin?

Perhaps I worded that a bit wrong. I meant a sort of thumb break holster like this
https://i.etsystatic.com/15984877/r/il/95a538/1583876562/il_fullxfull.1583876562_k2f0.jpg

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Word of advice. Tennesseans do not take kindly to folks moving to Tennessee and telling them how to do things.

amen

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I have found that good people everywhere appreciate good advice offered with the sincere intention to keep them from harm. But, I would never presume to tell ignorant jerks what to do, wherever they are, because there is simply no point to it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Your sanctimony is epic, I'll give you that.

SargeMo said it well, "
In case you hadn't noticed, unsolicited advice is generally about as welcome as JWs showing up on your doorstep with inspirational reading material."

Now, go away and quit bothering good people.

No one appointed you to a safety advisory position. No one.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 08/10/21.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The usual suspects have repeatedly exposed themselves as ignorant jerks through their apparent delight in making abusive comments throughout the many forums of the Campfire. We have all come to know who they are, to expect abuse from them every time, and to dismiss their abusive comments accordingly.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,487
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.