Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of jalapeño peppers from the garden, I’ve been pickling them and trying to eat them fresh with meals but have a lot. Planning on making a fresh salsa to go with supper tonight (Yucatán chicken tostadas).. these are without a doubt the hottest ones I’ve ever had..I’ve made it before but turned out really bland. Tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro...what else am I missing

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I find that adding salt brings out the flavors of the ingredients. You could also try giving your peppers and maybe some of your tomatoes a quick scald on the grill to bring out some flavor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buncha jalapeños, diced small.
A buncha tomatoes, diced (not Roma’s).
A buncha yellow onion, diced small.
A buncha green onions, sliced as thin as you can.
Some serrano’s, diced small.
Some cilantro leaves, diced small.
Some fresh lime juice.

I do like to just use the meat of the peppers, and discard the seeds and the rest of the membranes/partitions on the inside. And I too think some salt can enhance the flavor.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use better tomatoes. Garden and or Heirloom if you can.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Lots of jalapeño peppers from the garden, I’ve been pickling them and trying to eat them fresh with meals but have a lot. Planning on making a fresh salsa to go with supper tonight (Yucatán chicken tostadas).. these are without a doubt the hottest ones I’ve ever had..I’ve made it before but turned out really bland. Tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro...what else am I missing

Salt to taste, and fresh lime juice.

Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Have to try the green onions and grilled veggies next time.. I tried adding something called Goya adobo seasoning with a little bit of Mexican oregano and cumin. DELICIOUS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not salsa here. My wife makes pico de Gallo. Roma’s, nunion, jalapeño, lots of cilantro, S&P, garlic, lime juice.

Might be missing something. I’m strictly QC/QA.

Last edited by ironbender; 08/09/21.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not salsa here. My wife makes pico de Gallo. Roma’s, nunion, jalapeño, lots of cilantro, S&P, garlic, lime juice.

Might be missing something. I’m strictly QC/QA.

One of my favorite mexican restaurants closed a few weeks ago; they had the best pico de gallo I've ever eaten. Theirs sounds like it was similar to your wife's. They weren't afraid of the lime juice and salt.

I'm gonna miss that pico. One of the best things on their menu. May have to try to make some next year.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you’re in a hurry or short on salsa supplies over the winter try H&H 30 second salsa mix. It’s a can of dried chopped peppers and spices with the proper sized scoop included.

You either chop your own tomatoes or use a can of petite diced and put a scoop of the spices in and stir it up. I got a can as a gift and it’s amazingly good. I even take it camping and have it with fajitas made on my discada. It’s spendy but one can will make about 50 pints of salsa.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In addition to the above suggestions, I like toa dd some green Chile's. If you have fresh, great, if not the canned will work. Also, some dried cumin and coriander. And some dice Cilantro.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,284 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,212
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.