Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16328149 08/10/21
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw two Springfields at the LGS yesterday. The first was 1903 that had an original style stock that was chopped down at the front and refinished, but otherwise unaltered. It was on consignment and the asking price was $1,800. crazy Good luck with that.

The other was a 1903A3 with a synthetic sporter stock, but otherwise unaltered. Asking price $600.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cannot blame a guy for trying. Or maybe we should? As a loyal long term customer, there is a shop under new ownership that has disappointed me. I put my dollars to work elsewhere. These are crazy times, You are obviously right on the prices.

You might offer $600 on the 2nd gun, conditional on including all the original parts with a good cleanly cartouched and unsanded stock. Turn the deal around in your favor,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could get this from me, I might go down a little on the price

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...custom.cfm?gun_id=101601603&cdn_bp=1

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I though we were talking abut guns with re-conversion potential.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My belief, too many knowledgeable folks conjuring "restoration" from sporter to military config. Such as even reckoning on new era component prices all round, yet omitting to consider 'restoration parts in essential context of "matching" in both finish and condition.
Perhaps some folks to be personally satisfied with aesthetically mismatched components, but essentially to me and the general "collector" context, such resulting in (perhaps overpriced) no more than "shooter" achieved.

The era of "milsurp restoration" as true economy, seems largely past as yet 'perception' lingering. Good research and patience, likely to find better straightforward, complete used rifle. Occasionally, perhaps best of all worlds... 03 or A3 yet in military dress, with the "infernal extra sight holes & Weaver scope installed! Rifle restorability tanked; good swappable components 'lingering yet for the 'plucking'! smile smile smile

Not expecting this to affect anyone with "restoration itch"...
Just my take!
Best & Stay Healthy!
John

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My 03 is dated 1918 with the original barrel on it. All correct. When I got it, it had an A3 stock,which I traded off and the search for a correct 03 stock was on. $150 later I had my stock and took her shooting. She adores Sierra 155 grain Match bullets and 4895 powder. I figure I have $750 in it now, but wouldn’t take twice that for it at the present time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Love happy endings Godogs! smile My question of 'when' picking up a stock at such price and what about all accoutrements? Included, or...?
Thanks!
John

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't looking for one, just noticed them while looking for reloading components.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by iskra
Love happy endings Godogs! smile My question of 'when' picking up a stock at such price and what about all accoutrements? Included, or...?
Thanks!
John

It only had a buttplate if I remember correctly. Found it on the CMP forums

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My 03 is dated 1918 with the original barrel on it. All correct. When I got it, it had an A3 stock,which I traded off and the search for a correct 03 stock was on. $150 later I had my stock and took her shooting. She adores Sierra 155 grain Match bullets and 4895 powder. I figure I have $750 in it now, but wouldn’t take twice that for it at the present time.

Good example. You saved a pile of cash over buying a so-called "all correct gun". Some of those all correct guns might have a history not unlike yours. I think, equally as important, you took something kinda crappy and made it much better. And I assume, there is an A3 looking better as well.

I put back a German K98k this year. I cost me about half to 1/3 what an all correct gun would cost. Heck maybe a 1/4. It is hard to keep up these days. Looks as good and shoots as good as any. The value maybe only what I have in it. The parts can be identified. I dont care. I am not trying to cheat anyone. I feel real good about what I accomplished.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Human nature... To speak of "investment wins". To bury "investment losses", or share as necessary... With Bankruptcy Courts! smile
Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.