Campfire Greenhorn
Leopard
Sable
Buffalo

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bigt7mm,
Eland are very good to eat. Some might say the best of African meat. My guess for weight is around 2400 pds, my PH thought 2000+. I am about 240pds if that gives you an idea on the size.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kudu in the mountains of NW Namibia- '06
Buffalo in the hills of Tanzania's Selous-'07
Lion in Tanzania's Selous...next season

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JB,

I'm looking forward to the bird hunting article you have scheduled. When and if I make it to Africa I sure want to lug along a scattergun.

BTW put me down for:
Cape Buffalo
Leopard
Kudu

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mule Deer, thank-you for the explanation of sable prices. I hadn't realized that sable were as relatively rare as they are. I knew they were sought after but so are kudu but of course kudu are quite common. If sable prices do ever become more reasonable again I'll be going for one for sure, but really all plains game hunting is fun regardless of species!

Yes, eland is delicious. When I got mine they took out a big piece of the tenderloin and grilled in over the fire. It was stuffed with cheese, onions, peppers and spices and the cook rubbed it with garlic butter as it cooked, very tasty. When I mentioned my own eland hunt I sort of summarized it to two sentences but I should say that the stalk and watching the herd was about 3 hours of intense hunting and really great fun.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Maybe a little different but I am facinated with Wildebeest and would love to get what you could call a "Wildebeest Slam". A Black, Blue, Nyassa, and Cookson's Wildebeest.

If I had to pick 3:

1) Wildebeest - Don't care which one first.
2) Eland - I took one in Texas cause I couldn't wait, otherwise it would have been #1 (Damn they taste good)
3) Giraffe - I hear they are tough to hunt because the have their own spotting tower and see you coming for miles.

I would also like to take a Hyrax or "Dassie" - they're related to elephants and it would be the closest I would ever get to huntin" an Elephant.

Lance

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Buffalo
Kudu
Sable

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buffalo would rank first, since I haven't hunted them yet and buff will be next. Of the animals I've hunted the toughest to get a shot at has been the hartebeest, the mountain zebra is a very fun animal to hunt.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

Craig Boddington has an article in the July '07 SCI Safari Times on the growing popularity of Africa hunting, and his analysis shows that we are going to be hunting Africa for a while, at least for plains game in RSA and Namibia. The other countries have much smaller numbers. Craig's opinion is Africa engenders a "gloom and doom" story, after all it is Africa.

He reports on an academic study that develops the annual number of safari hunts at 18,500 in recent years (over 23 countries). South Africa has 8,530 and Namibia 5,363, and are the most popular destinations. Craig says you can still go after PG for the price of an elk hunt, without worrying about drawing tags and warm gear.

His source is a paper in ScienceDirect www.sciencedirect.com. The authors are P.A. Lindsey and S.S. Romanich of the University of Zimbabwe, and P.A. Roulet of the Universite' d'Orleans in France.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim,

Thanks very much for the update. All very interesting info!

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
3040 Krag,

Missed your post for some reason. I love African bird hunting myself--one of the big reasons I bought a good 12x12x.30-06 drilling last year. Can't think of anything handier for a typical plains game/bird hunt!

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite hunts
Cape buffalo
Leopard
Sable

I did this in '95 at prices that were quite reasonable compared to todays

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Late entry...

1. Buffalo & leopard
2. Sable

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cape Buff
Greater Kudu
croc

and I'd use my .375 Sako and appropriate loads/bullets for all three

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was a running joke between my PH Karl and I while I was in Africa that as soon as I got home from my first safari that I could proclaim myself an expert on all things African. It seems to be the most common thing in the world for Americans to feel like African experts after their first trip. I told Karl I would soon be advising him on such things as elephant bullet selection and hippo stalking methods as soon as I got home. Of course, I have laid eyes on neither.

In that vein, in my limited experience, here is my list based on the animals I hunted.

Gemsbok-wary and they are a very interesting animal to see for the first time. A bit horselike when they run and I really like those dangerous looking sharp horns.

Eland-just a beautiful animal and very African looking.

Springbok-attractive and plentiful.

Josh (the newest African expert)

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cape Buffalo
Leopard
Kudu

On my one trip to Namibia I took a Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok, and Springbok. Would find it hard to return to Africa and not hunt Kudu again.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bushbuck
Sable
Waterbuck

I already have a 14" Bushbuck but want a 16" plus. Hey, I can dream. I consider the bushbuck a real challenge to hunt in South Africa.

My next trip will include a Sable and Waterbuck hunt. I have a 7mm mag and a 127gr bullet all prepared for them. smile

Don smile

Speed Kills - With the right bullet.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Kudu,kudu,kudu

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
buff and kudu

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How did I miss this ...

1. Eland (LD)
2. Gemsbok
3. Kudu

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.