Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ok fellas I’ve came upon a Forbes 24B in 30-06. I was planning on sending back a CLR to be melvanized with the usual upgrades. Does the Forbes rifle come with these upgrades like stock,timney trigger, real metal bottom metal and metal mag follower? The only thing I’d like to change if above things are included with the Forbes rifle is a new barrel as I’d like a do all 280 rem 1-8” twist. Just need some info on which would be a better deal to do between the Forbes and the Colt CLR with added parts.
Thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't claim to be an expert on all the versions of the Forbes 24b, but my early version has a metal trigger guard, metal follower, and a really great stock. I think the trigger is a Timney, but if it isn't there is not a reason to change it either. My suggestion is to not shoot the donor if you really want to rebarrel it, because mine shoots well with the allegedly ER Shaw barrel.

The later versions may need better bedding, but Mr. Forbes could easily handle that.

TANSTAAFL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why would you send it back to be Melvinized? Are you confusing it with a Colt CLR?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are wanting a fast twist 280 you will be adding approx 4 ounces to your weight by using a colt which is based of the nula model 28 (28 ounce action). Also the later Forbes rifles had some issues so you might want to check into that to see if they can be fixed or not and for how much.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Why would you send it back to be Melvinized? Are you confusing it with a Colt CLR?
sorry if you misunderstood but I was saying I had 2 options. Either send a CLR back to be melvanized or go with the Forbes 24B which I hope has all the items on it already that I would get put on a CLR. I wonder does the Forbes 24B have Melvin’s nula stock and timney trigger and metal follower already on it is kinda what I was asking then all I’d need is a new barrel and stock painted.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Reread the OP, he’s not the one that’s confused.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by whitearrow
sorry if you misunderstood but I was saying I had 2 options. Either send a CLR back to be melvanized or go with the Forbes 24B which I hope has all the items on it already that I would get put on a CLR. I wonder does the Forbes 24B have Melvin’s nula stock and timney trigger and metal follower already on it is kinda what I was asking then all I’d need is a new barrel and stock painted.
Big Ed

I’m nowhere near an expert either. However, as far as I know the stock on the Forbes is Melvins, and the parts you asked about are all metal on my 24b. The trigger, I don’t believe, is the same as the nulas, but it’s better than the CLR. So, to answer your question, with the Forbes, all you would need is a barrel, paint, and a trigger upgrade(if you’re picky). The trigger on my Forbes is excellent.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.