Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I bought a .30-06 once. It was just like a .300 WSM, except heavier, longer, and lower velocity. Really disappointing. At least I can say I was never enough of a sucker to buy a .270 win.

I bought a S&W 586 and didn't know you needed to check them for canted front sights. Sure enough...

I bought a Noveske AR in 6.8SPC when what I really should have bought was a large frame .308 AR. The gun was fine, but just not what I should have bought.

Every rifle I've ever bought with a belted cartridge has eventually gone down the road - it just costs too much velocity to waste space on a belt. Many were good guns though and certainly not as badly designed cartridges as the .30-06.

.30-06 probably won't catch on, as poorly designed as it is. 🤔

No one will ever shoot a belted cartridge, either. frown

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
HR IC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have known a couple of guys that bought custom military rifles that the gun show seller had priced high and talked them up as rare and something you will never see again. Both rifles were amateur custom jobs and probably werent even worth a third of what they bought them for.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taurus tracker 357.
Guy at the counter told me they send a lot of Taurus back for repairs…. Actually more than any other brand.
My dad had good luck with his Taurus so I thought I had 50/50 chance. I should have known better as I suck in gambling.
Had To send it in twice, 3 time I got a new one sent to me

Last edited by Dre; 08/14/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like this thread. Makes me feel better about myself. I've always thought I was the only one that made stupid trades.

My worst purchase was my first purchase. As a kid I bought a "Monkey Wards" 22 bolt action with a 7 shot clip. It was too heavy for me, too long, and never very accurate. I shouldda saved my pennies a little longer and bought a better rifle.

As someone said above, I've made most of my stupid gun trades by selling things I now wish I'd kept: a 788 22-250 that was a good shooter, a Rem 600 in 308 that was a great shooter despite a lousy trigger, a Model 70 in 7 WSM, a collection of 2 Contender frames and a couple dozen barrels, and I turned loose of a boat paddle Ruger in 243 that I could never get to shoot better that about 1 1/4 groups. My worst mistake was trading a custom Ruger tanger in 25-06 that had a heavy 26" barrel and a wonderful trigger. Bought it cheap from the estate of a man that had been a bench rest shooter. There are probably more that don't come to mind right now.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Traded a Browning A-Bolt .30-06 topped with Weaver Classic 3-9x38 with a fast and accurate barrel for a beautiful Mauser (Heym) 3000 in .30-06. Upon shooting the Mauser I discovered it had a slow and not so accurate barrel. I had a load for the A-Bolt using a 165 NBT that was sub MOA and clocked 2900+ fps. Same load in the Mauser shot 1.5"-2" and sometimes broke 2700 fps. Various factory loads and other hand loads faired no better. All 1.5" or way more and all 200 fps or more slower than book or factory listings both barrels were 22" long. After a couple or 3 years I got rid of it.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know if its the dumbest but my Daughter always wanted a Derringer so about 6 months ago I said if you buy one I will but one

We bought a pair of Bond arms
Its an answer to a question that doesn't exist

If you are going to buy one I think Bond is the way to go but pretty sure we didn't need them after you shoot them

But it was a cheap learn

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must say I never had too much regret on most of the guns I've bought. One that comes to mind is a really nice sporterized 98 Mauser that had a nice, new deep bluing job, a custom stock and it was rigged for scope use with the safety and mounts. It was a nice looking rifle and still in 8x57. I never shot it because I have so much stuff and I sold it to (or gave it to - I don't remember) a good friend for his teenage son to hunt with. A year or so later my friend and his son went hunting with me and we decided to shoot rifles sine it was hot and the hunting was slow. We could not get it sighted in and when we did, it would barely hit a 24" square piece of paper. I knew something was wrong and I looked at one of his casings and it was severly (almost blown out) at the head. It must have had a severe headspace issue or a buldged chamber. Anyway, I got him something else to hunt with.

I agree...the .30-06 is not versatile enough and will never stay on the market long.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stoeger Coach gun 12 gauge. When I pulled the trigger it would double. I sent it back to Stoeger and they said it was operator error. Even though it was a single trigger model! I sold it to a friend for a loss

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Not necessitate dumb but maybe my Kimber Talkeetna 375 h&h. Beautiful rifle that shoots great after bedding but it’s not much fun off a bench with 300gr AB’s. For my uses I don’t really need the light weight and a bit heavier rifle would be much more pleasant to shoot for fun.

Why shoot it off the bench after sighting in? Set it up on sticks and have fun.

Who is John Galt?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I bought a .30-06 once. It was just like a .300 WSM, except heavier, longer, and lower velocity. Really disappointing. At least I can say I was never enough of a sucker to buy a .270 win.

I bought a S&W 586 and didn't know you needed to check them for canted front sights. Sure enough...

I bought a Noveske AR in 6.8SPC when what I really should have bought was a large frame .308 AR. The gun was fine, but just not what I should have bought.

Every rifle I've ever bought with a belted cartridge has eventually gone down the road - it just costs too much velocity to waste space on a belt. Many were good guns though and certainly not as badly designed cartridges as the .30-06.

.30-06 probably won't catch on, as poorly designed as it is. 🤔

Remember, McDonalds makes the most popular hamburger in the US. That does not make it the best hamburger, or even a decent hamburger. It means the burger is targeted at the lowest common denominator customer. A pasty gray piece of [bleep] between two squashed buns is just right for that customer.

The same is true of the .30-06.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chuckie....think Phil Shoemaker has a quote about this 😀

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes He does but

Lame brains ain’t got a clue.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just having a bit of fun from the safety of my keyboard. I've never owned an '06, but have seen them in use. If I had to choose one chambering for just about everything from coyotes on up.....it would probably be one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Yes He does but

Lame brains ain’t got a clue.

Jerry

He's never been to McDonald's in his life either. I've never once been given a "pasty gray burger" there. He's one of these guys that talks out his ass and loves to hear himself

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mossberg 835 not that it wouldn’t shoot but I’m suffering the consequences from it now from 3 1/2 turkey loads years later

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dumbest thing I ever did was buy a legit 1/2 moa rifle. Now I get pissed when I can't get some rifles sub-MOA. Finally starting to grow out of that.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Left Handed Thompson Center Dimension. I still don't know what possessed me. From a functionality standpoint there is nothing wrong with it, but I just can't stand to look at it. It's hideous. I thought it would grow on me and it absolutely did not. Maybe I'll have a custom stock made for it, and really turn it into a money pit.

BPS 10. I was glad to see that one go.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Stallion
Probably 15-20 years ago, I bought a Marlin 1894c in .357 made by Remington. As most of you know, the gun itself is great, it was just who and how it was put together at that time that was at issue. Fortunately, I took it out to Wild West Guns in Las Vegas and had a decent amount of work on it to get it into proper shape. So successful was that improvement, I got offered twice what I paid for it by a Glendale California gun shop. I declined the offer and have been glad to keep it after the initial viewing in it's pitiful manufactured condition.

Remington only bought Marlin in late 2007/early 2008

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
S&W Scandium revolver....I'd rather shoot my Freedom Arms 454 Casull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post 64 M70 .30-06 in '65 when there were still pre-64's around. Elmer wrote it was better. He lied.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.