Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm helping a friend setup a new rifle and the scope he has is a VX3 with the CDS system. Problem is he is not a turret user and no experience with anything like this. He's also hard on gear so really needs a set and forget type setup. Question, can these be retrofit with a fixed cap? Basically if I took off the CDS dial will a standard cap fit? Anybody done this. Thanks.

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Leupold needs to make a regular turret cover for real riflemen that don't want that crap on their scopes.

Just saying

W
W
Originally Posted by LFC
Leupold needs to make a regular turret cover for real riflemen that don't want that crap on their scopes.

Just saying

A “real rifleman” should be able to utilize and become proficient with a feature such as cds or WAY better yet, a mil or moa based turret. It is the future. Also, if you’re trying to dial any Leupold short of the MK5 you have already set yourself up for failure. Leupold is the biggest joke in optics right now.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LFC

Just saying

I agree, I don't care for that stuff on a hunting scope. I have a VX5HD (171386) with the plain turret covers. But I REALLY wanted one with firedot/duplex reticle, but Leupold only caters to the CDS crowd for the firedot/duplex reticle.

Give me a 3-9 or 2-10 Leupy with good glass and without any special dials. Duplex reticle. Sight it in. Know what my bullet drop is. Don't shoot out past the calibers capable killing range. Keep it 6x for most situations. Aim anywhere in the kill zone. Done.

Last edited by Mach3; 08/17/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WindowLicker308
Leupold is the biggest joke in optics right now.

Says the China scope queens....

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A “real rifleman” should be able to utilize and become proficient with a feature such as cds or WAY better yet, a mil or moa based turret. It is the future.

You talk a big game Licker....in the real world hunting there isn't time to use these children's toys.

Do you even know what a Mildot was designed for ?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LFC

Says the China scope queen....

He probably can't afford them so he has to hate on them to make himself feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

Just saying

How about just buying a different scope if you don't like the turret?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by LFC

Just saying

Maybe he likes everything about the particular scope except that one thing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mach3
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by LFC

Just saying

Maybe he likes everything about the particular scope except that one thing?

Well, you just can't please everyone...

IC B3

W
W
Originally Posted by LFC

Says the China scope queens....

LOL I would trust a mid-tier Athlon over a VX series Leupold.

W
W
Originally Posted by LFC
A “real rifleman” should be able to utilize and become proficient with a feature such as cds or WAY better yet, a mil or moa based turret. It is the future.

You talk a big game Licker....in the real world hunting there isn't time to use these children's toys.

If you were well versed in your equipment you would have more than enough time to twist a turret. I know because I’ve been in that situation. Absolutely, but where did I say anything about a mildot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every thread turns into a [bleep] show.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Too many here think that their way is the only way and everyone else should follow suit or they don't know what they are doing.

Don't push your narrow minded opinions on all of us. Lots of different applications out there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
you all know that you can use a CDS scope as a set and forget scope too don't you?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gitem_12
you all know that you can use a CDS scope as a set and forget scope too don't you?

Huh?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by LFC

No,

Please educate us.

In the real hunting world, how much time is there, and what was a mildot designed for?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not too elegant, but if his concern is accidental movement of the elevation dial on the VX-3i, he could just sight in as desired then put a couple wraps of duct tape around the turrets to make sure they don't get moved.

Sorry for being constructive - y'all can get back to your bickering now.

;o)
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mach3
Originally Posted by LFC

Just saying

I agree, I don't care for that stuff on a hunting scope. I have a VX5HD (171386) with the plain turret covers. But I REALLY wanted one with firedot/duplex reticle, but Leupold only caters to the CDS crowd for the firedot/duplex reticle.

Give me a 3-9 or 2-10 Leupy with good glass and without any special dials. Duplex reticle. Sight it in. Know what my bullet drop is. Don't shoot out past the calibers capable killing range. Keep it 6x for most situations. Aim anywhere in the kill zone. Done.

Different horses for courses. Depending on talking about a typical deer hunter, hunting where most deer are hunted or a “rifleman” someone into rifles and optics to get the most out of them. A precision long range rifleman absolutely has to be competent with turrets and needs repeatable optics. To be a very good deer hunter in the locations most of us hunt deer very repeatable optics are great but not absolutely needed at the expense of weight or durability and I’d prefer a lightweight scope that holds zero to bulk and spinning turrets inside of 300-400 yards. I kill most my deer well under a hundred yards. Probably more killed between 20-60 yards than between 60-100. For having fun shooting steel at the range and local clear cuts turrets are the only way to go. For hunting if I lived somewhere where longer range shooting was something I expected to do I’d want turrets but that describes very few deer hunters East of the Mississippi unless hunting over large farm fields but even then it usually isn’t necessary and a good percentage of that type of farm area is shotgun and straight wall cartridges only.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

This scope forum reminds me of a bird dog forum on another site that I like. To many people with to much pride to except that different people have different hunting styles and likes. It always turns into everyone no matter age, experience, hunting style ect should have a hunting dog that’s a high powered big running field trail horseback dog washout. Everything else in inferior in mental and physical makeup and a boot licker. The other side turns everything into any dog that’s hunts more than (pick a distance) is a hunts for itself run off and no good in the bird woods. Of course there’s nothing wrong with either. Pick whichever suits your likes and hunting style and space to hunt.

Same with these here threads. I like Leupold for there at least assembled in America, lightweight at an affordable price hunting scopes. I like collecting rifles and hunting them but could never afford to scope them all with high end glass for the amount that a lot of them get hunted and unlike rifles optics lose money over time. For my longish range range guns I like other brands a lot better and would choose those scopes for hunting if I hunted somewhere that made the added bulk of those scopes justifiable for precision shooting.

For red dots I like other brands than what I scope either of the above with. Seems simple. Buy what you like for the type of hunting and shooting that you do. Not sure why these threads always turn into one right way my way arguments.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,601
Posts18,532,546
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.