Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Forget about anything else, what is the toughest scope on the market today?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nightforce

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guy I fished with couple weeks ago in Oregon dropped his nxs guiding a client, didn’t retain zero. But there’s videos of Nightforce gettin shot with a 12 gauge perty close, so he’s lying. 😂 rut roh…

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Steiner, if you can stand the weight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He even has a Nightforce sticker on his cooler!!! Oh lord, pm’s and texts are flying, boo boo lips are dragging and excuses are in the making!! Haha 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Judman; 08/17/21.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, My vote would slso be for Nightforce, they are built like a tank!.....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nightforce.....case closed!!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Bugger
Forget about anything else, what is the toughest scope on the market today?

Ignore the prior answers.

Yours is a good question and, as you would expect, there are several variables or components to consider.

The first one is obviously the main tube. Here we can quickly cut through the chaff. The vast majority of scope tubes are made of aluminum. There are a few that are made of steel and I have no first-hand knowledge of those so this discussion is all about aluminum tubes. You can immediately eliminate the 1inch and 30mm tubes from the ranks of the toughest scopes; their tube wall will be a maximum of 2mm thick. Then you are faced with the 34, 35, 36, and 40 mm tubes. In the 34 mm tubes, if the range of adjustment is much greater than 60MOA (or about 20MIL), the tube wall will 2mm thick also. For example, I know that the 34mm tubes from March are all 4mm thick; extremely strong. I also believe that some Nightforce scopes are 34mm and have thick wall; the NXS series is not one of them. There are many other brands with 34mm tubes and thick wall. But again, I come back and say 1inch and 30mm tubes do not make the cut.

Next is the design of the tube. If it's a two (or more) parts main tube, they don't make the cut. If the objective bell is extruded, they don't make the cut.

If the tube is bent by accident, your zero will shift, to say the least.

After that, you have the knobs and the magnification ring. Now, any scope that lands on the elevation knob may get damage to that assembly. Some are tougher than others.

Let's talk internals. The first thing that comes to mind is the erector tube. If you have a heavy erector tube, any hit on the scope will cause more internal stress on the knobs and springs than if the erector tube is lighter. But if a light erector tube is not engineered properly, it will be easily damaged. You also have the choice and use of proper material for springs and knobs and so on. Some last longer than others.

Then there is the issue of how everything is assembled internally and sealed overall. Again, one piece tubes are superior to multi-piece tubes for sealing. I've also seen scopes with an access plate to the knob assembly. That's not conducive to sealing life.

Internet lore is one thing; real life engineering is another.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I checked out the Nightforce site and discovered the only line that has a 34mm tube is the ATACR; the NX8, SHV, NXS and competition all have 30mm tubes.

Checking various ATACR offerings reveals Nightforce uses the 34mm tube to provide a larger range of internal adjustments; the main tube walls cannot be thicker than 2mm.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Scopes weren't designed to take physical abuse.

Back in the 1960/1970s Leupold had a scope and rifle pictured in an advertisement I believe in the NRA magazine along with the story of how the rifle and scope were lost in a pretty fast flowing western stream....I believe in a horse crossing.

The rifle and scope were found a couple years later the rifle and scope were trashed...the Leupolds internals were still nitrogen filled.

Unless someone has a better verified example of extreme use then I give Leupold the toughest scope award.

Zeiss is the only manufacturer that used to have a rubber cover over the front objectuve bell that I'm aware of.

Tough....can the scope take heavy recoil and remain zeroed.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I own one Zeiss and numerous Leopold’s (mostly older ones).
I’ve never tried Nightforce. But I’ll be considering them.
Let me put the question another way: a friend has a specially ordered 460 Weatherby without a muzzle break. He hates muzzle breaks. He also owns a bolt action single shot 50 BMG. The 460 kicks much more than the 50 BMG, because it’s much lighter.

What scope would be able to last the longest on that Weatherby?

In my younger years I had mostly steel tube Elpaso Weavers 2 1/2x, 3x, 4x, 6x, 10x and 12x. Granted the only hard kicker I mounted any on was my 350 RM 600 Remington and that was a 2 1/2x. I had 4x scopes on the ‘06’s and the higher power on lighter kicking cartridges.

I never had scope failures that I was aware of. But I wonder if I let some scoped rifles go due to a bad scope??

I always preferred fix power scopes.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/19/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d probably try the NF ATACR 1-8x.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen a broken SWFA 6x MQ, or a SWFA 1-6 HD.

Might happen, but I haven't seen it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With all the experience MD has in testing scopes, you might ask him.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Never seen a broken SWFA 6x MQ, or a SWFA 1-6 HD.

Might happen, but I haven't seen it.

It can definitely happen, but the beauty in SWFA is they have awesome customer service. If you drop one of their scopes and damage the eyepiece (just for an example), they will replace it for free.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 25+ year old Vari X iii 1.5-5 that's been through hell and back and has never lost it's zero on a 338 WM. I haven't used it for dialing obviously but for it's purpose, it's been flawless.

Last edited by TexasBBQ; 08/19/21.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

Yep, he's the man for this. Yet, let's not put him on stage to say anything bad about any product.
I guess that's up to him.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
I have a 25+ year old Vari X iii 1.5-5 that's been through hell and back and has never lost it's zero on a 338 WM. I haven't used it for dialing obviously but for it's purpose, it's been flawless.

I have one too, I use it on my 338-RUM. It has never missed a beat.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Yep, he's the man for this. Yet, let's not put him on stage to say anything bad about any product.
I guess that's up to him.

IIRC he's stated he's had something like 12 or 15 different brands of scopes go tits up at one time or another, including alpha brands.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not known him to pull punches, IIRC every BRAND of scope tested, has gone belly up on his "test" rifle.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the older Leupolds. I thought and maybe I’m wrong that the old M8 line of Leupolds were the toughest of the lot. I have some old variables too. But ever since I was a teenager I had the belief that variables were weaker. I think I have a M8 4x on my 375 H&H AI - I have not shot that other than at paper, but that’s held up so far.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don`t know if it`s available to the general population, but Marcus Luttrell`s account of he and his MK 12 with a Leupold MK4 going full tilt down a mountain side, with both being fully operational at the bottom, impressed the hell out of me. You might want to look that up.

I would consider that "Tough".

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not known him to pull punches, IIRC every BRAND of scope tested, has gone belly up on his "test" rifle.

No, not every brand tested--but right now far more than the 12-15 brands JGRaider quoted.

Have had 20 brands of scopes now go bonkers on various test rifles. Some I expected to, but some I didn't.

I don't recoil-test nearly as many new scopes as I used to, partly because I don't write a regular optics column for any publication anymore. To tell the truth, this was something of a relief, due to growing a little weary of shooting hard-kicking rifles enough to determine anything.

But I also grew weary of scope companies claiming that there was nothing wrong with the scope that failed to work correctly when I sent it back to them. One major company with a reputation for making VERY tough scopes even claimed this, and said the problem was the scope slipping in the rings--which they determined by seeing tiny impressions from rings in different places in the scope. They said they refinished the scope and sent it back to me.

There were two problems with this. First, I'd already told them that it had been my major rifle test-scope for around 5 years, because it worked so reliably--which meant that it had been mounted on a bunch of rifles, with the rings in different places.

The other problem was that I record the serial number of all the scope I own. Started doing this maybe a decade ago, just to keep track of which scopes had been on which rifles. The scope they "returned" to me had a different serial number than the one I'd sent them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Old Burris Signature with the Posi Lock is battle tank tough.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Question MD, would you mind, “What scope or scopes has never failed in your tests?” I am tired of scopes failing, though admittedly I know you have way more experience than I dream to have had.

(Other than the one El Paso scope I sent in and maybe another, I record the serial number on scopes. But only the ones I’ve sent in.)

What irks me is a major scope company sent me a scope back and said there’s nothing wrong with it, yet when I mounted it on an accurate rifle the group size was much much larger than normal.
It sort of soured me on their warranty.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Lost faith in Leupolds, moving most of my optics to SWFA. If $ allowed I'd add some NF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Can anyone be trusted anymore??

Thanks for the reply.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Earlier, I said that 1inch scopes have 2mm walls, like the 30mm scopes. I have since found out that this is not the case. The 1inch tube walls are closer to 1.2mm thick. (We always thought the 30mm tubes were stronger than the 1inch tubes because of the larger diameter. It would appear that it's mainly because the walls are thicker.) Also, it is possible to have a large range of adjustments in a 34mm tube with 4mm thick walls by reducing the focal length of the objective. Age is a terrible thing; I knew that last one and forgot. As an added bonus, a shorter scope body will be tougher than a longer scope body with the same wall thickness. I am not aware of any riflescope with walls thicker than 4mm at the moment. So look at the 34, 35, 36 and 40mm for the maximum in toughness and look for the shortest one as the king in that department.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 08/20/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

So far haven't had an SWFA scope fail, but haven't owned as many of those as some other brands. Did own one where the clicks didn't move POI exactly what they should have, but were still very consistent.

One of the problems with a lot of scope "brands" is a wide variety of scopes, in both price and quality, with some even made not just in different factories but different countries.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A fixed power SWFA SS is probably one of the toughest scopes you can buy and the toughest sub $900 scope. Its pretty rare to hear about a SWFA SS 6x42 or 10x42 failing.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by LFC
Scopes weren't designed to take physical abuse.

Back in the 1960/1970s Leupold had a scope and rifle pictured in an advertisement I believe in the NRA magazine along with the story of how the rifle and scope were lost in a pretty fast flowing western stream....I believe in a horse crossing.

The rifle and scope were found a couple years later the rifle and scope were trashed...the Leupolds internals were still nitrogen filled.

Unless someone has a better verified example of extreme use then I give Leupold the toughest scope award.

Zeiss is the only manufacturer that used to have a rubber cover over the front objectuve bell that I'm aware of.

Tough....can the scope take heavy recoil and remain zeroed.

I remember that add
I saw a rifle hanging in a Marine hardware store in Anacortes Wa years ago. Looked just like it a wetherby I think
I aske to see it the scope was still
Perfict. I asked if it was the one used in the add but the employees there didn’t know. And I never presued it further as I bought an 88 win the same day they had hangin in there it was too cheap and I wanted to pay and run before they changed there mind

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by keith

Finally someone mentions this. You can’t beat physics, and three points of opposing contact on the erector assembly vs. two and opposing springs wins every time. Good engineering. Too bad morons kept trying to adjust the scopes without loosening the posi-lock feature, I believe Burris got tired of repairing user induced damage.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Probably vortex- they have a good warranty and lots of soldiers Ive seen on Instagram use them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Likely the answer is the Trijicon ACOG. Is has been said that the handle on the AR will distort or break before the ACOG.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cotis

Finally someone mentions this. You can’t beat physics, and three points of opposing contact on the erector assembly vs. two and opposing springs wins every time. Good engineering. Too bad morons kept trying to adjust the scopes without loosening the posi-lock feature, I believe Burris got tired of repairing user induced damage.

Just returned a signature that had some
Debris floating around in it it had damaged the glass internally those feel like a brick solid built scope but first scope I ever had with crap
Floating around in it

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nightforce.

2.5-10x24
2.5-10 Compact
5.5-22 from back in the day, saw em take some pretty solid licks, they never done anything but lie there bolted on ready to go to work for you! cool

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Originally Posted by cotis

Just returned a signature that had some
Debris floating around in it it had damaged the glass internally those feel like a brick solid built scope but first scope I ever had with crap
Floating around in it

Overall, I've found the USA built Burris offerings to be very tough and consistent in their tracking. Still have a couple of their USA built Short Mag and older gloss compacts in service, and I wouldn't say no to more of them for levers and "woods" rigs.

Perhaps their current offerings are just as tough - the FF2 seem widely regarded as a tough scope - but I don't have much first hand experience with thier Asiatic offerings.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just saw this posting on another site. The rifle in the video is chambered for a 14.5X114 necked down to .50 cal, shooting a Hornady 750gr .510 A-Max.

https://marchscopes.com/news/10738/

The presenter says the recoil is much worse than a 50BMG rifle, and that means I do not want to try it as I do not like recoil. Yes, I am a wimp, but that March Genesis scope isn't.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bounced my Remington 700 with a 2x7 Leupold directly onto the scope from a 6' top bunk at our cabin, and it hit the floor and actually bounced about 2'. It was only off by about 1/4" at 100 yards when I checked it.. Sold me!

Last edited by reivertom; 10/07/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bluumoon
Lost faith in Leupolds, moving most of my optics to SWFA. If $ allowed I'd add some NF

I would hate to think as an American that I'd lost faith in a great American company like Leupold.

Finish selling your soul to the Asian Mongols.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nightforce.

2.5-10x24
2.5-10 Compact
5.5-22 from back in the day, saw em take some pretty solid licks, they never done anything but lie there bolted on ready to go to work for you! cool

Who.gives a Nightforce scope "licks" ?

That Philippine made crap will break too if you mistrreat it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To be fair, expectations of riflescopes have grown vastly in the past 30 years. Back then holding zero and not fogging up where pretty much all anyone expected. Then the optics got better, and consumers did, or pretended to do, more long range work.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So far I haven't broken a NF or Bushnell Elite Tactical scope, but then again I haven't owned many of them and haven't put them on hard kickers yet.

I have used quite a few SWFA's, and they're great values but I've had two break. One was a fixed 6x on a 7 mag, the other was a 1-4 on an AR. Both were replaced quickly with no questions asked by SWFA.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I had an old Burris Fullfield 3-9 that took a lot of abuse. It didn't track great during sight ins but once zeroed it did hold zero very well.

Jordan's suggestion is a good one.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LFC

I would hate to think as an American that I'd lost faith in a great American company like Leupold.

I like buying American and I work to do so whenever I can. But I don't care for companies wrapping themselves in an American flag just to carry favor with a certain cohort of customers. They also need to deliver a superior or at least comparable product.

Your ire and derision towards people who've moved on from Leupold is misplaced. I can't speak for everyone who doesn't buy Leupold but used to at one time, but after having more than a few go south, I felt like a good ole American company gave up on the consumer, not the other way around. They owned a huge the market share for decades. They rested on their laurels while the industry evolved and expectations changed. In short, they left the door open as little known marketing companies who don't produce anything stole market share and became big names. Now they pull at heart strings of working Americans while peddling the same internals as Asiatic scopes in a gold ringed package.

I sincerely do hope that they get the ship righted and that I start reading reviews of how tough and reliable their current offerings are. I would love to go back to supporting them.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Asian scope manufacturer has stolen every design they peddle...the price point on Asian made scopes should be nickles on the dollar.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LFC
Nightforce.

2.5-10x24
2.5-10 Compact

Probably someone who uses their schidt in the field vs. letting it sit in the closet . Nightforce isn’t made in Phillipines

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LFC

Leupolds are mechanically poor. Just a fact

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
On a budget, Burris.
No budget, NF i would say.

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Toughest? I have Swaro, Trijicon, and Zeiss on rifles, but they never been thru the beating I've given a Burris. My FFII has been dropped from a treestand, fell off swamp buggys, ATV's and still held zero. So hands on experience my vote goes to Burris 3-9x40.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
Toughest? I have Swaro, Trijicon, and Zeiss on rifles, but they never been thru the beating I've given a Burris. My FFII has been dropped from a treestand, fell off swamp buggys, ATV's and still held zero. So hands on experience my vote goes to Burris 3-9x40.

Your ass is itchy.... LOL!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Harshest test 300MAG puts his scopes thru is setting them on dining room table to take a pic for 24hr classifieds one week after purchasing. Lol

What’s up Jeffrey! been awhile, I still lurk around here or post once a month.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Harshest test 300MAG puts his scopes thru is setting them on dining room table to take a pic for 24hr classifieds one week after purchasing. Lol

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300MAG

What’s up Jeffrey! been awhile, I still lurk around here or post once a month.

LOL.....I was expecting a good reply!! I'm ok....just got over a month with Covid...it was scary schit!!

Hope you are good buddy....stay in touch.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by LFC
Nightforce.

2.5-10x24
2.5-10 Compact

Probably someone who uses their schidt in the field vs. letting it sit in the closet . Nightforce isn’t made in Phillipines

Sorry Bob....how many islands I miss it by ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned the following and used them enough to consider them tough:
Burris FFII line
Burris signature select with the posi-lock
Older Leupold variables and fixed powers. Vari-X III -VXIII, FXII both the 4x and 6x36mm never used the FX3 6x42 enough to have a good opinion.

Bushnel Banner 1.5-4 used on several Big Bore Marlins over the years. At $80 I thought they were a joke but good enough glass and held up to years on 45/70s

Super chickens

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Older Bushnell 4200 Elites were 1 piece tubes composed of titanium. I’m not saying they were nightforce tough but they were tougher than any of the Leupold scopes of the time. Feel free to trash me as I’m into my 2nd Manhattan and just don’t care.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1234
nightforce
> even a seal sniper proved Nightforce is the toughest scope , this sniper kept using his Nightforce scope even with a bullet from a enemy sniper in his scope and the Nightforce scope still held zero .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
nightforce
> even a seal sniper proved Nightforce is the toughest scope , this sniper kept using his Nightforce scope even with a bullet from a enemy sniper in his scope and the Nightforce scope still held zero .

It’s an impressive (if overused) story, no doubt, but there was a lot of luck involved. If the enemy bullet had hit the erector assembly, the story would’t have ended so climactically.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
nightforce

It’s an impressive (if overused) story, no doubt, but there was a lot of luck involved. If the enemy bullet had hit the erector assembly, the story would’t have ended so climactically.

Many years ago now, a young soldier was about to deploy to Iraq out of Fort Hood. His issued Leupold Mark IV was not working correctly (typical) and there were no spare scopes to issue him days before deployment.

I lent him a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 off my backup rifle to take with him. He was worried about damaging it, but I told him use it and just bring it back.

While deployed, he was in a vehicle that was hit by an IED. The vehicle rolled over and he landed on his rifle so hard it bent where the barrel goes into into the receiver. He was treated and released to return duties a few days later. He had the armorer put the Nightforce on a replacement rifle and it worked fine for the rest of his deployment.

When he made it back, he returned the scope as promised, but asked if he could buy it. Of course I agreed. That convinced me of Nightforce’s durability.

Brands that have broken on me with just use hunting and target shooting are Leupold, Redfield, Zeiss, USO, Nikon, and maybe forgetting a few.

Never had a Nightforce break despite far more rounds fired than all the others added together. Nightforce is all I will buy now. Been using the NXS Compact 2.5-10x42 the most the last few years, but still use my big NXS and liking the NX8 a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird
nightforce

Many years ago now, a young soldier was about to deploy to Iraq out of Fort Hood. His issued Leupold Mark IV was not working correctly (typical) and there were no spare scopes to issue him days before deployment.

I lent him a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 off my backup rifle to take with him. He was worried about damaging it, but I told him use it and just bring it back.

While deployed, he was in a vehicle that was hit by an IED. The vehicle rolled over and he landed on his rifle so hard it bent where the barrel goes into into the receiver. He was treated and released to return duties a few days later. He had the armorer put the Nightforce on a replacement rifle and it worked fine for the rest of his deployment.

When he made it back, he returned the scope as promised, but asked if he could buy it. Of course I agreed. That convinced me of Nightforce’s durability.

Brands that have broken on me with just use hunting and target shooting are Leupold, Redfield, Zeiss, USO, Nikon, and maybe forgetting a few.

Never had a Nightforce break despite far more rounds fired than all the others added together.

Oh, there’s no doubt that they’re beyond tough, but taking a bullet is a bit beyond what they can handle, and definitely requires some luck.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My vote will also go for Nightforce

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

You might be better off sticking to iron sights with the luck you have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC

You might be better off sticking to iron sights with the luck you have.

The problem is, when a guy actually uses his stuff, instead of sitting at home in his rocking chair, his stuff breaks. Fragile stuff breaks more often than tough stuff. Simple concept.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fragile stuff breaks more often than tough stuff. Simple concept.

Yep - you want stuff that's Not Fragile (queue up some BTO on 8-track and set volume to 11)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was unfortunate enough to have a SWFA 2.5-10x32 crap out on me this weekend. Well....actually I can consider myself fortunate that it happened while sighting in and not while in the field.

357 Max single shot with 180 grain A-frames an H110, weaver rail, Vortex low 1" precision rings. Recoil is very light. A few shots to get it close to zero after bore sighting. Dialed in the last adjustment to get it perfect and was going to shoot a 5 shot strings to verify all. On the 4th shot the view went fuzzy. Sounds like a baby rattle. Inside has trash in the view and from time to time a large black "something" in the picture. I'm sure SWFA will handle it well.

Really, I was lucky. Pre-crapout it adjusted correctly and the view from 2.5-8 was pretty good, 9-10x could be cleaned up a little with focus, it fit the rifle really well being light and small with planned use at short range woods shots. I was liking it. If it would have held out 2 more shots it would have been in the woods next weekend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a friend had a Sauer 270 he earned delivering newspapers or selling trinkets or some schit back in the 60's or 70's. He hunted everything with it and when I met him in the 80's he was still using a Bushnell Sportview 3-9 on it. He continued using it another 20+ years. Never lost zero.

Weird.

LOL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08 is turning out to be a scope killer. I think the light rifle with a fast recoil impulse is tearing scopes up. I just had another SWFA SS 3-9 HD go bad on it. It ate one last fall that I sent in and still haven't got the replacement back for it yet. Now I have another to send in and they are still on back order.

It also killed a VX-3 3-10x40. I've thrashed a lot of leupolds over the years but the vx3 3-10x40 usually hold up fairly well. I though it might do better under recoil because it's a lighter scope. I just put a new vortex razor hd hunting scope on it. Probably be testing the vortex warranty soon.

I'm bummed to be down 2 SS 3-9 mil mils because they are one of my favorite scopes. This recent one makes the 4 th one I've had go bad but I have several that get used. I will throw a SS fixed 6 mil mil on it if it eats the vortex. The little 7-08 doesn't feel like it kicks much but it is a scope killer.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very interesting Burley. What rings and mounts on that Fieldcraft? I don't doubt what you wrote as I have experienced somewhat similar issues with a Kimber. Just curious about the configuration.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/25/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a leupold 20 moa one piece rail fir a base. For rings I started with SS 6 screw tactical lows. The scope slipped in them at first so I really cranked them down. It shot well for long enough to shoot an elk last year and then went to crap. I put another scope on in I believe ugi brand rings. It shot well the first trip to the range and then toasted a scope the second trip. I put on another SS 3-9 in some Warne rings and started working up a load for 180g elds. I found a load shooting 1/2 moa.

The next range trip I had loaded more of that load. The first group shot great again. The second opened up and shifted about 1.5" low. I thought maybe the scope slipped again until. The 3rd group went about 1.5" higher and an inch left of the first which was about 4 inches from the second. It was opened up to about 2" group too. Now I've got to get out and try this razor HD hunting model scope. I'm not a fan of a lot of vortex but this ones a LOW built in Japan model.

Bb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have no personal experience with them, but the military contracted with US Optics for some time. I imagine their product testing included the ability to withstand battlefield abuse.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Steiner T5Xi 5-25x on my Tikka CTR in 308 and just received yesterday a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x F1 scope. Both are built like tanks, and weigh as much. My Steiner has not been babied but not abused either and I have had zero issues with it. I expect the Nightforce to act the same, and in a pinch I could take it off and beat someone or something with it as it feels that durable.

I have a Leupold VX6 3-18x on my go-to deer hunting rifle. I would be concerned with any hard knocks or falls happening to this scope but it has performed flawlessly at distance since I have babied it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My new in the box Leupold VX5 HD was DOA when I removed the cellophane shrink wrap. Had a 25 year old Schmidt on my custom 300 Win mag...shooting 0.4" with the scope (has the fat hot dog weenie recticles). Wanted something with a little more magnification as its 10X and its used for longish shots on powerlines. Strapped on the VX5 HD and the same load printed 2" plus. Worked with it all summer...nothing worked. Strapped the Schmidt back on......0.4" groups. I'm a "Leupold guy" and have 27 of em. All are older models. It kills me but will send this scope back and keep the S&B on it for now. Need light gathering out of this scope so that takes NIghtforce out of the question. Need it to be able to take recoil of a 300 so that takes out Swarovski. I'll keep the S&B but absolutely hate those thick crosshairs.

Last edited by Godogs57; 10/27/21.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How far is a longish shot on a powerline?

If you're repeatedly shooting sub half inch groups it doesn't seem like the fat crosshair reticle is holding you back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a leupold 20 moa one piece rail fir a base. For rings I started with SS 6 screw tactical lows. The scope slipped in them at first so I really cranked them down. It shot well for long enough to shoot an elk last year and then went to crap. I put another scope on in I believe ugi brand rings. It shot well the first trip to the range and then toasted a scope the second trip. I put on another SS 3-9 in some Warne rings and started working up a load for 180g elds. I found a load shooting 1/2 moa.

The next range trip I had loaded more of that load. The first group shot great again. The second opened up and shifted about 1.5" low. I thought maybe the scope slipped again until. The 3rd group went about 1.5" higher and an inch left of the first which was about 4 inches from the second. It was opened up to about 2" group too. Now I've got to get out and try this razor HD hunting model scope. I'm not a fan of a lot of vortex but this ones a LOW built in Japan model.

Bb

How did your other SS 3-9x scopes fail? Also failure to hold zero?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
How far is a longish shot on a powerline?

If you're repeatedly shooting sub half inch groups it doesn't seem like the fat crosshair reticle is holding you back.

400-500 yards. I’m not one of the “long range sniper shot only” crowd but potential long shots are a reality where I live. Huge ag community with large flat fields. Those 50-75 yard shots don’t happen too awfully much here. Needed a doe to close out the season last year and a nice fat one stepped out right at 400. I had to take a little longer than usual to aim….the dang crosshairs seemed to cover her whole vitals.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the subtension of the crosshair?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They all make good ones and bad ones. I'd have to say Nightforce is pretty impressive. I've been using them for last couple years and they are pretty tough.

I have 2 other scopes that have proven themselves thru the years.

3x9x42 Zeiss Diavari that has been on my primary deer rifle. Has had the crap beat out of it for 12-13 long deer seasons and has held up beautifully. Shot it last week, still dead on after all those years.

Leupold VX6 1x6x24. Has been on different 375s and to Africa 4 times and Kodiak once. Has taken an incredible beating on those safaris, brush trucks, bush planes, boats, you name it. Never let me down.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What's the subtension of the crosshair?

Well I always thought it was how thick the crosshairs are or say the distance between the crosshair and the top of he post on duplex style reticles. Or the distance between various dots and such. That said many variables can change "subtension" when changing the scopes power.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was asking about the thickness of the reticle in his S&B on 10x, assuming he turns it up for the longish shots.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They subtend an inch at 100 if I remember correctly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Bb

The last one did the same thing this one did. Groups went and zero started walking a bit. I sent it in and they said it was bad but didn't say how. I'm going on a year waiting for a replacement. Two of the 3-9 SS I had that failed all the sudden wouldn't adjust more than a few mils one way on windage. I used a mirror to set center and then had plenty of adjustment one way and very little windage the other. I sent them in and they replaced them.

The 3-9 SS is a favorite so it bums me out to have a few more fail. Although nothing has survived the 7-08 fieldcraft yet. My first gen Ti in 30-06 munched a few scoped back in the day. I had better luck putting lighter scoped on it. Oddly enough the TI still wears a VX2 3-9 LR reticle. That it hasn't broke yet. It sent a few other heavier scoped to the grave.

Maybe mathman or someone could explain the physics behind lighter scopes holding up better. Something about them being easier to set in motion and not send their lenses forward maybe.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/27/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The overall weight of the scope isn't the factor. The mass of a particular internal part relative to the strength of its mooring is what counts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"...so I really cranked them down."

Don't do THAT any more.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Don't do THAT any more.

If scopes were slipping in the SS rings one thing to try would be scuffing the inside of the rings with some coarse abrasive paper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Don't do THAT any more.

If scopes were slipping in the SS rings one thing to try would be scuffing the inside of the rings with some coarse abrasive paper.

I did scuff them and they are lapped first and then cleaned off good with rubbing alcohol. After the lapping and cleaning I scratched them a bit with a hex key after they slipped the first time. I'd set them somewhat light around 20 pounds initially. Obviously it wasn't enough so I tightened them up. I didn't go full gorilla on them but those scopes have a fairly heavy tube. I know a lot of manufacturers recommend like 18 pounds but I usually go tighter than that.

This last one shot great for a while being fairly tight and then went to crap. I've had some scopes that acted weird when too tight but I notice it right away. I don't think that's the issue here. The same inertia that makes them really want to slip forward I'm guessing is unseating a lense or something. I usually only go as tight as I can cranking on the short end of a hex key for leverage.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bb

The last one did the same thing this one did. Groups went and zero started walking a bit. I sent it in and they said it was bad but didn't say how. I'm going on a year waiting for a replacement. Two of the 3-9 SS I had that failed all the sudden wouldn't adjust more than a few mils one way on windage. I used a mirror to set center and then had plenty of adjustment one way and very little windage the other. I sent them in and they replaced them.

The 3-9 SS is a favorite so it bums me out to have a few more fail. Although nothing has survived the 7-08 fieldcraft yet. My first gen Ti in 30-06 munched a few scoped back in the day. I had better luck putting lighter scoped on it. Oddly enough the TI still wears a VX2 3-9 LR reticle. That it hasn't broke yet. It sent a few other heavier scoped to the grave.

Maybe mathman or someone could explain the physics behind lighter scopes holding up better. Something about them being easier to set in motion and not send their lenses forward maybe.

Bb

Thanks for the explanation.

I've actually explained the physics behind the opposite effect. Heavier scopes in reality hold up better (they add more weight to the rifle/scope system that accelerates as one system upon the rifle firing), all things being equal, since for a given force light objects accelerate faster, and that change in inertia is what is hard on things. The mass of the internal parts and the strength of their connections is a large factor, as well. In that case, the rifle system has a given acceleration and the heavier the internal part, the more force is applied to it to get it to accelerate at that rate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the heavier the internal part, the more force is applied to it to get it to accelerate at that rate.

This makes sense but also the heavier the internal parts, the more they resist acceleration due to a given force...right? I always get confused on these things.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So why has the 6.5-ounce 2.5x Leupold M8 that's been on Phil Shoemaker's relatively lightweight .458 Winchester Magnum managed to retain zero for decades now?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bb

Thanks for the deatils details, Bb.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/28/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
the heavier the internal part, the more force is applied to it to get it to accelerate at that rate.

This makes sense but also the heavier the internal parts, the more they resist acceleration due to a given force...right? I always get confused on these things.

Yeah, sort of. The heavier the part, the more force it takes to get it to accelerate at a given rate.

To really explain it, we have to break it into two parts. First, consider the scope and rifle as a single object. A certain fixed amount of force gets applied to the rifle in the form of recoil. Well, I think it’s fairly intuitive for most here that the heavier the rifle, the less it accelerates due to that fixed amount of recoil. A heavier scope makes the rifle/scope object heavier, so it accelerates less under recoil.

Now, for the second part assume the rifle/scope is accelerating at a given fixed rate. For a heavy part to accelerate at the same rate as a light part, more force is applied to the heavy part. As mathman correctly pointed out, the strength of the fastening system of the part, relative to the force applied to the part, is what determines whether the fastening will let go or not.

So the factors that contribute to scope durability are overall heavy weight, and strong internal fastening systems relative to the weight of the internal parts.

A simple analogy would be someone driving a car. The engine (like the rifle’s recoil) has a fixed amount of power it can apply to accelerating the car with everything in it. If the car with its contents (rifle/scope system) weighs more, it’ll accelerate slower than if it weighs less. Now take one particular item in the car (like an internal scope part). The car and its contents accelerate at a given rate, and if that one item inside is heavy, let’s say it’s the driver, then the seat will have to apply more force to accelerate the driver at that given rate than if the driver was lighter. And if the strength of the seat is insufficient compared to the weight of the driver, the seat will collapse and the driver will break loose inside the car (like an internal part breaking loose inside the scope).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So why has the 6.5-ounce 2.5x Leupold M8 that's been on Phil Shoemaker's relatively lightweight .458 Winchester Magnum managed to retain zero for decades now?

Well, as with most things, a single anecdote doesn’t prove a concept, but I would say that the scope in question has retained zero despite being lightweight, not because of it. I think you would agree that a 7 lbs rifle/scope combo is harder on the scope than a 9 lbs rifle/scope combo.

The fastening of the internal parts, relative to their weight, must be fairly exceptional.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Yeah, sort of. The heavier the part, the more force it takes to get it to accelerate at a given rate.

To really explain it, we have to break it into two parts. First, consider the scope and rifle as a single object. A certain fixed amount of force gets applied to the rifle in the form of recoil. Well, I think it’s fairly intuitive for most here that the heavier the rifle, the less it accelerates due to that fixed amount of recoil. A heavier scope makes the rifle/scope object heavier, so it accelerates less under recoil.

Now, for the second part assume the rifle/scope is accelerating at a given fixed rate. For a heavy part to accelerate at the same rate as a light part, more force is applied to the heavy part. As mathman correctly pointed out, the strength of the fastening system of the part, relative to the force applied to the part, is what determines whether the fastening will let go or not.

So the factors that contribute to scope durability are overall heavy weight, and strong internal fastening systems relative to the weight of the internal parts.

A simple analogy would be someone driving a car. The engine (like the rifle’s recoil) has a fixed amount of power it can apply to accelerating the car with everything in it. If the car with its contents (rifle/scope system) weighs more, it’ll accelerate slower than if it weighs less. Now take one particular item in the car (like an internal scope part). The car and its contents accelerate at a given rate, and if that one item inside is heavy, let’s say it’s the driver, then the seat will have to apply more force to accelerate the driver at that given rate than if the driver was lighter. And if the strength of the seat is insufficient compared to the weight of the driver, the seat will collapse and the driver will break loose inside the car (like an internal part breaking loose inside the scope).

Thanks. I get the internal scope part analogy and certainly understand that the momentum of said parts can cause issues under recoil, but I am not a physics person...it seems that with a given force, a heavier scope (or scope parts) would both accelerate and also resist that acceleration more.

People say a heavier rifle soaks up recoil more than a lighter rifle...and thus kicks less. I see the same logic confliction here as a heavier rifle (assuming enough recoil is there to get it moving) would both kick more due to more momentum and also resist that momentum more, and thus kick less.

I dunno......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heavy objects have more inertia than light objects, which means they resist changes in momentum. Force is equal to the rate at which momentum changes in time. So for a given force, the light and heavy rifles will both gain the same amount of momentum in a given period of time, but the lighter rifle will accelerate faster to gain that momentum. If the rifle/scope is accelerating faster, then there is more force applied to the internal parts and fastening systems.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Nightforce

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Well, as with most things, a single anecdote doesn’t prove a concept, but I would say that the scope in question has retained zero despite being lightweight, not because of it. I think you would agree that a 7 lbs rifle/scope combo is harder on the scope than a 9 lbs rifle/scope combo. On

The fastening of the internal parts, relative to their weight, must be fairly exceptional.

Jordan, I have far more than "a single anecdote" about lightweight scopes (especially Leupold fixed-powers) that have retained zero for years in harder-kicking rifles. I suspect the reason is that Leupold's internal parts during the era when they made very tough M8s is that they used adjustment springs far heavier than required for the very light erector tube.

Also have "anecdotes" about other brands of lightweight, fixed-power scopes that also retained zero on hard-kicking rifles. Among them was the early 2.5x Bushnell that one of the first PHs I hunted with in Africa had had on his .458 Winchester since the early 1950s. His initial experience was with culling many, many of Cape buffalo on ranches in what was then Rhodesia. Afterward he transitioned to a PH for safari hunting, and had done that for many years when I hunted with him and his son in South Africa in 1992. The same Bushnell was still working fine on the same .458.

Dunno if you know the background of Bushnell scopes. The company was started by Dave Bushnell, who spent some time in Japan during his military service. He eventually asked a Japanese optics company if they could make scopes like of the post-WWII El Paso Weavers (which also had a reputation of being very recoil-resistant), and they said yes. They worked very well, including retaining zero under repeated heavy recoil. Of course, the Bushnell "company" continued on long after Dave Bushnell was gone, just as "Weaver" did. But the toughest scopes from both companies were VERY tough, despite being light.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
unertl.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, as with most things, a single anecdote doesn’t prove a concept, but I would say that the scope in question has retained zero despite being lightweight, not because of it. I think you would agree that a 7 lbs rifle/scope combo is harder on the scope than a 9 lbs rifle/scope combo.

Jordan, I have far more than "a single anecdote" about lightweight scopes (especially Leupold fixed-powers) that have retained zero for years in harder-kicking rifles. I suspect the reason is that Leupold's internal parts during the era when they made very tough M8s is that they used adjustment springs far heavier than required for the very light erector tube.

Also have "anecdotes" about other brands of lightweight, fixed-power scopes that also retained zero on hard-kicking rifles. Among them was the early 2.5x Bushnell that one of the first PHs I hunted with in Africa had had on his .458 Winchester since the early 1950s. His initial experience was with culling many, many of Cape buffalo on ranches in what was then Rhodesia. Afterward he transitioned to a PH for safari hunting, and had done that for many years when I hunted with him and his son in South Africa in 1992. The same Bushnell was still working fine on the same .458.

Dunno if you know the background of Bushnell scopes. The company was started by Dave Bushnell, who spent some time in Japan during his military service. He eventually asked a Japanese optics company if they could make scopes like of the post-WWII El Paso Weavers (which also had a reputation of being very recoil-resistant), and they said yes. They worked very well, including retaining zero under repeated heavy recoil. Of course, the Bushnell "company" continued on long after Dave Bushnell was gone, just as "Weaver" did. But the toughest scopes from both companies were VERY tough, despite being light.

Thanks for your comments, John.

The “single anecdote” thing wasn’t meant as a slight or jab. You asked how that single example fit with the physical concept, and my intention was just to point out that a counter example doesn’t disprove a principle when there are other confounding variables involved.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So you're still essentially saying that many, many examples of light scopes retaining zero for hundreds or even thousands of rounds is contrary to your understanding of physics?

John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don’t believe that’s what he said.

He said all things being equal, lighter weight as a “unit” is harder on a scope than a heavier “unit”…and by unit I mean rifle/scope combo.

“All things being equal” not including variables like erector springs and the like, which likely explains Phil’s situation (and many others of course).

Simple enough to understand even for a naive like me.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you're still essentially saying that many, many examples of light scopes retaining zero for hundreds or even thousands of rounds is contrary to your understanding of physics?

No. I’m saying that there are several variables involved in the outcome of how well a scope holds zero, and while overall scope weight is not the dominant variable, the relationship between scope weight and the internal parts holding zero is directly proportional. A more significant variable is the mass of the internal parts and the strength of their connections.

If the scope internals were equal between two scopes, and they sat on identical rifles shooting identical loads, but thicker tube walls meant that one scope was a pound heavier than the other, the heavier one would experience less force on the internal parts and their connections.

It’s kind of like implying that gravity doesn’t actually cause things to fall toward the earth, because there are many, many examples of airplanes staying in the sky for minutes and even hours at a time. The other variables involved, like the forces applied by the engines and wings, don’t change the fact that the relationship between gravity and elevated objects is that gravity does indeed cause things to fall down toward Earth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iddave
I don’t believe that’s what he said.

He said all things being equal, lighter weight as a “unit” is harder on a scope than a heavier “unit”…and by unit I mean rifle/scope combo.

“All things being equal” not including variables like erector springs and the like, which likely explains Phil’s situation (and many others of course).

Simple enough to understand even for a naive like me.

Dave

Yup, you got it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not sure why my first instinct when a heavy scope fails on a light fast kicking rifle is to try a lighter scope. Some of it has come from my experience with my first gen Ti in 30-06 and the many faux Ti's I put together in the early 2000's when I had a bunch of stocks and barrels.

I put together several faux Ti's in 30-06, 7-08, and 270 for friends and family before I got tired of trying to show people how to shoot light rifles well and dealing with bad scopes. The scopes that failed in a big way were easy. The ones that just walked a little or loosened up a little where a real pain because nobody wanted to believe their new whatever scope had an issue. I finally got a bunch of heavier Alaskan Ti fluted mag shorter barrels and Alaskan Ti stocks and switch friends out to those. They shot better with them, complained less about the kick, and toasted fewer scopes.

I've had most brands of scopes puke but I did have pretty good luck with leupold fixed 6x42s. At one time I had about 10 of them on hunting rifles. I also had good luck with 1st gen weaver grand slam 3-10x40 and their 4.75 fixed. Although after 10 years or so a few of those seemed like the retention springs went sift and they started acting a little off. Some of the old busnell 3200 and 4200s and weaver classic v9s held up on the Faux Ti's too.

It may sound like I'm hard on scopes but I used to shoot thousands of rounds a year working up loads for lots of different rifles and experimenting.

I had friend call the other day and say he was having a terrible time getting a good shooting load with his 270. I first asked if he'd tried a different scope. He had so I then said load this bullet over this powder to this length with some in each of these 3 powder weights. He called back the next day and said they all shot under 1 inch but one weight shot awesome. He then said how did you know that when you don't even like or own a 270. I just told him because over the years I've probably worked up loads for 20 different 270s. Eventually I noticed that combination seemed to do well in most of them.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Sage gave us “All things being equal, all things are never equal?”

That’s the first quote I think I heard when I started my engineering studies back in the day.

There are no two exact copies of anything no matter how hard we try.

And that simple truth keeps us gun loonies, well, loony.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was not getting that from your earliest post--but am still skeptical about how much effect heavier scopes have on recoil energy/acceleration, given the overall weight of the entire rifle "system."

In general, my experience is that reliable "dialing" scopes these days weigh a minimum of 18 ounces, though obviously some are much heavier. The 2.5x Leupold on Phil's 9-1/4 pound .458 weighs 6.5 ounces. That's about 12 ounces less than a typical small-variable dialing scope--and yes, I have used many, and hence weighed many, being pretty compulsive.

Here's how the difference breaks down, using the basic recoil formula accepted these days:

With a 6.5 ounce 2.5x Leupold, overall rifle weight 9.25 pounds, 500-grain bullet at 2100 fps, 70 grains of powder:
67.2 foot-pounds of recoil energy
21.62 fps of recoil velocity

With an 18.5-ounce scope, overall weight 10 pounds:
62.16 foot-pounds of recoil energy
20.0 fps of recoil velocity.

In both foot-pounds or fps, the difference is 8%. I am skeptical that an 8% difference makes a meaningful difference in scope function, regardless of the scope. In part, this is due to not only LOTS of lightweight fixed-power scopes on harder-kicking rifles, but dozens of heavier dialing scopes, including most well-known brands. Obviously the experience with the second type of scope is less, because most didn't exist before about 20-25 years ago, but have experienced a "failure" rate higher than some report.

Am not going to comment much more here, but will by PM if you want. I have some results that might surprise you.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Surprised no one has mentioned the S&B PMII 10x42…

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jordan,

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was not getting that from your earliest post--but am still skeptical about how much effect heavier scopes have on recoil energy/acceleration, given the overall weight of the entire rifle "system."

In general, my experience is that reliable "dialing" scopes these days weigh a minimum of 18 ounces, though obviously some are much heavier. The 2.5x Leupold on Phil's 9-1/4 pound .458 weighs 6.5 ounces. That's about 12 ounces less than a typical small-variable dialing scope--and yes, I have used many, and hence weighed many, being pretty compulsive.

Here's how the difference breaks down, using the basic recoil formula accepted these days:

With a 6.5 ounce 2.5x Leupold, overall rifle weight 9.25 pounds, 500-grain bullet at 2100 fps, 70 grains of powder:
67.2 foot-pounds of recoil energy
21.62 fps of recoil velocity

With an 18.5-ounce scope, overall weight 10 pounds:
62.16 foot-pounds of recoil energy
20.0 fps of recoil velocity.

In both foot-pounds or fps, the difference is 8%. I am skeptical that an 8% difference makes a meaningful difference in scope function, regardless of the scope. In part, this is due to not only LOTS of lightweight fixed-power scopes on harder-kicking rifles, but dozens of heavier dialing scopes, including most well-known brands. Obviously the experience with the second type of scope is less, because most didn't exist before about 20-25 years ago, but have experienced a "failure" rate higher than some report.

Am not going to comment much more here, but will by PM if you want. I have some results that might surprise you.

Post em up John. 👍 I find it very funny, some experiences with the swfa, no one says squat. Boy it’s a leupold, it gets lotsa traffic. As a aside, been noticing lots of ss scopes for sale.. just a observation..

Carry on

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Heavy objects have more inertia than light objects, which means they resist changes in momentum. Force is equal to the rate at which momentum changes in time. So for a given force, the light and heavy rifles will both gain the same amount of momentum in a given period of time, but the lighter rifle will accelerate faster to gain that momentum. If the rifle/scope is accelerating faster, then there is more force applied to the internal parts and fastening systems.

But heavier scopes will have heavier internal components, meaning that they offer more inertial mass for the recoil force to act against. That creates more stress on the internal mounting mechanism. So heavier scopes suffer more internal recoil stress. Right?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lotsa competitors run vortex and are really happy with em… grin

Haha

The whine never ceases!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum

But heavier scopes will have heavier internal components, meaning that they offer more inertial mass for the recoil force to act against. That creates more stress on the internal mounting mechanism. So heavier scopes suffer more internal recoil stress. Right?

It really depends on how much extra weight there is, and how it’s distributed internally.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have never had a problem with the early Weavers (C,K and J series) losing POI. Most were 4x, but also 3x, 2 1/2x and 6x (even one or two 8x and 10x)
I've been buying up M8 Leupolds for some time and with no problems. But their prices have doubled lately it seems.
The problems I have with both those early Weavers and those early Leupolds has been sighting them in.
I do have a newer variable that has taken quite a licking, it's a Weaver 1x-3x power on a light weight 350 Magnum that has mainly shot 250 grain bullets. That scope is very light - I don't remember the exact weight.
I never knew of scope failure until I started to buy newer variable scopes, many Leupolds - though granted few failures with Leupolds. But I think a scope failure is inexcusable. I have been selling my newest Leupolds. Besides I rarely change the magnification on a variable - having it a variable just makes it weaker.
The perfect glass isn't as important to me as zero failures. Having a scope that I can spin the elevation and horizontal knobs are not as important to me either.
Finally I wish fixed power scopes were still available as they used to be. I have never had a scope failure on a fixed power scope (though I thought I did - it was a loose mount).

I am getting long in the tooth, have steel knees and a bad back. Being on a mountain side with a scope failure, a missed opportunity and a long ways back to the truck to get a spare rifle is most upsetting!

Last edited by Bugger; 10/30/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-105767.html?___SID=U

Also available in MOA, but both are temporarily back ordered.

1-4x are great alternatives...use with classic rings.

388 fixed power optics:

https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html#magnification_by_group=Fixed

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wish I knew the answer on what is available in 2021. I have a fixed power 4x Burris Supreme that has never moved. I wish I had bought more back in the time. Not a PosiLock but not dialing either. At the time I got it (30 years ago or so) I thought it was heavy compared to other 4x but it is solid as a rock. The clarity is amazing in my opinion. If I knew the 4x Kaps (German) was as durable I would order some. Newer variables are all much heavier for those that others report as durable and dependable. Tis the times we live in.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Schmidt & Bender PM ll 10x42

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by JackVliet
Schmidt & Bender PM ll 10x42

The kids hated you at "show & tell"...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
First shot with the vortex razor 2-10 hs on the fieldcraft 7-08 and a big black flake of something appeared next to the reticle. Next shor it went away and then came back later in a different place.

Something is floating around inside of a brand new scope or a flake of something came loose first shot.

The gun is grouping under moa again and dialed in ok. I like the scope but it's discontinued. I wonder if vortex will fix it or replace it with something else. Every other vortex ie sent in was just replaced and then I sold off the new one.

That's 4 new scopes to have issues on 1 rifle in 1 year. I have over 100 scoped rifles but this one takes the award for scope killer. My first gen TI 30-06 has been dethroned.

Bb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First shot with the vortex razor 2-10 hs on the fieldcraft 7-08 and a big black flake of something appeared next to the reticle. Next shor it went away and then came back later in a different place.

Something is floating around inside of a brand new scope or a flake of something came loose first shot.

The gun is grouping under moa again and dialed in ok. I like the scope but it's discontinued. I wonder if vortex will fix it or replace it with something else. Every other vortex ie sent in was just replaced and then I sold off the new one.

That's 4 new scopes to have issues on 1 rifle in 1 year. I have over 100 scoped rifles but this one takes the award for scope killer. My first gen TI 30-06 has been dethroned.

Bb

There's a lot of love for Vortex though....

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Bb

Dang. I didn't read back trough the thread you may have stated this already.....what rings are you using and have you checked their alignment?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Bb

Might there be a variable problem with shifting bedding? What sort of bench test have you?

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have Leupold VX II and III scopes, a Rifleman 3X9, also a 3X fixed. In Tasco I have a World Class 3.5-10 and a 6x40 WC Plus.

Never had a problem with any of them, and they have all been treated roughly in the field, though not all actually shot that much, on rifles ranging up to .338WM. The Tasco 6X ( then on the .338) fell 30' from a tree stand and survived. Needed re-sighting in tho....

I wish all my scopes were 6X40 or so.

My Leup 2x7 x32 was bought in 1979. The last one (III in 3.5-10) about 1990. The Tasco 3.5x10 purchased 1995 is on the .338 now.

I haven't bought a scope since, so I know nothing about current productions. These meet my needs.

Back around 1969 I had 3 Redfields fail in a single hunting season. Switched to Leupold and Burris, and never had another problem. Had a Weaver, steel tubed 3X9 for a time, but it was way heavy. The second time the crosshairs broke on it it was round filed. Killed a bunch of caribou with it when it was on the .25-06, tho.

Last edited by las; 11/15/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Mass and inertia. The lighter scope has less mass on all if its internal components, therefore they "move" easier with the recoil vs. a heavier object that wants to resist initial movement and flexes/bends until it is forced to move.

Think about it in terms of bridge building. A super strong, totally immovable bridge due to its massive weight and strength will not handle sharp repeated shocks as it doesn't have any "give" in the system. Eventually something will get overstressed and fail. A more pliable bridge will flex, twist and adjust to the myriad of forces applied to it, without breaking.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bb

Simple buy a Burris FF2 3-9x40…

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That's my pick as well

We deal in lead, friend.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.