Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just enjoying a Foster's but I'm reading about some uber-expensive whisky:

https://quillandpad.com/2021/08/08/...notes-from-an-unexpected-source-reprise/

(excerpted)

Glenfiddich remains the only Speyside distillery distilling, maturing, and bottling on site (these days, the 12-Year-Old is an exception).

Brian Kinsman has been the malt master for a decade and has earned a reputation for innovation of the highest standards. This is always a bit of a high-wire act as, when your company sells around 14 million bottles of malt every year, you must also keep the traditional customers happy.

As well as its core range, Glenfiddich has become well known for its special releases, limited edition malts, and one-off bottlings. A few years ago, I picked up a couple of bottles of its one-off Snow Phoenix in duty free when returning from a fishing trip to New Zealand. Had I known that the tins in which they came would end up being more valuable than most whiskies, let alone what the bottles now go for, I may not have been so quick to enjoy them.

Winter Storm was another highly regarded release, though one I missed (clearly, I need to go fishing more often).

The Experimental Series is throwing up some exciting options for those prepared to take a chance.

What is Glenfiddich Grand Cru?

Glenfiddich Grand Cru is a 23-Year-Old malt, finished in French cuvée oak casks. The PR team has been very active with this one – “sets out to redefine moments of celebration,” “a new and extraordinary drinking experience,” “created for the non-conformists,” “uniquely crafted as a surprising delight,” “for those tearing up the rule book.”

Always good to see the marketing department earning its dosh.

More usefully, they advise that the whisky is matured in American and European oak casks before it is finished in French cuvée casks for six months. It is the only Glenfiddich malt to receive this treatment. The six-month period was the result of a series of experiments as to what length of time best suited the malt.

I was a little puzzled as to what exactly French cuvée casks are, but there is speculation that they are from Champagne. It must be stressed that no one from Glenfiddich, or associated with the company, is suggesting Champagne. They are talking “a great sparkling wine from France.” Unfortunately, commercial agreements prevent Glenfiddich from revealing the source of its casks.

Purely on my own speculation and as a completely unrelated digression, I find it really interesting as the majority of champagne houses tend to use stainless steel rather than oak casks, but we are seeing more and more of it through the emergence of quality growers like Selosse and Collin, among many others.

Producers like Krug and Bollinger also use oak, usually however these are casks that are very old as the aim is not to give too much cask character to the wine. How much is given to the malts is a question to be explored. Unfortunately, commercial agreements prevent Glenfiddich from revealing the source of its casks.

Why French cuvée casks? Kinsman was keen to accentuate the floral notes of the whisky.

The Grand Cru is 40 percent, and the bottle is 700 ml. Worth noting that it is exquisitely presented. The Grand Series will have two more releases later this year, so stay tuned.

Of course, in the end, all this means nothing unless we have a cracking whisky.

How did Glenfiddich Grand Cru measure up?

Ever so slightly pale in color, it walks a fine line between the richness it offers and the elegance and floral notes. A hint of glacé fruit, brioche and apple orchards. There is vanillin oak on the palate, with white chocolate and stone fruits, spices, and the merest hint of raspberry.

The texture is cushiony soft and creamy. Excellent finish, great length. This malt is impeccably balanced and complex throughout.

Glenfiddich Grand Cru is a malt that is finely crafted and utterly superb. Whether it offers value will be up to each individual, but there is no question that it is a really lovely whisky. We look forward to the next release in the series.

For more information, please visit www.glenfiddich.com/uk/shop/single-malt-scotch/grand-cru.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by mathman
I only go about 225 pounds so I can't soak it like Big Jim. grin

Gawd...I downed a bottle of WT the other day and wasn't even hung over the next day.

Starting to worry about myself!

Bought three handles of Beam on Tuesday in preparation of a mask mandate. Counter lady started laughing. I said “you think it’s a little aggressive?” She said, maybe for a Tuesday!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by mathman
I only go about 225 pounds so I can't soak it like Big Jim. grin

Gawd...I downed a bottle of WT the other day and wasn't even hung over the next day.

Starting to worry about myself!

Bought three handles of Beam on Tuesday in preparation of a mask mandate. Counter lady started laughing. I said “you think it’s a little aggressive?” She said, maybe for a Tuesday!

I like her already!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lagavulin 16 after tromping around all day setting trail cams with an energetic 6 year old. Deer season is in his blood.

Yup.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Water
Last night it was 1 Dirty Bastard 2 Molson and an unknown number of Widowmakers. My head hurt this morning.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Real Budweiser:

[Linked Image from assets-global.website-files.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mathman: I spent 2 weeks in Prague in 1990. I remember downing those real Budweiser's for a nickle each. Back then, 25¢ would get you pretty lit. Those were not small beers.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Edradour, from Signatory Vintage, The Un-Chill Filtered Collection.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Redbreast

-=[Bob]=-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by SamOlson
He's a smart man....lol

I had my wife run the combine for a little while this afternoon so I could troubleshoot the straw buncher.

We are cutting yellow pea.

She won't give the fugging thing back.....so I have dinner cooking and am running the kids through the shower.

Maybe I should catch up on my knitting next....

What's for dinner?

Fug that dinner thing. What ya knittin?

Last edited by 338Rem; 08/18/21.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.