Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just realized I posted this in the reloading section by mistake.

Anyone have any experience with the oryx chassis? I know they are supposed to be the low end model, but I have a B&C vertical grip varmint stock on my savage 204 now and I don’t like how wide the forearm is or how big the palm swell is for my hand size. Any information is much appreciated!

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I picked one up for a Howa Mini. It’s a good improvement over the factory stock. I can’t compare to the BnC forearm-have heard similar complaints though- and think the Oryx is probably more slim. I attached an MDT Arca rail and shoot it off a tripod mostly so not much of a concern to me. The grip is similar to an AR style grip. Maybe can switch out or customize but need to confirm. Fits me and my normal grip just fine. It has lop and cheek adjustments which are nice because technically this is my kids rifle that daddy enjoys quite a bit as a truck gun. Are you looking for a bench setup or carry hunting rifle? Maybe better options if latter.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

For $399 they are a very rigid hunk of aluminum, (+ 4lbs),that that provides a solid foundation for good accuracy. I purchased one last year to use on my Sendero but decided to keep the original HS precision stock on the rifle as I plan on selling it. I sold the Oryx to fellow member Muddinmetal here on the Campfire so maybe he can weigh in on how the chassis worked out for him. I believe that he plans to use it on an LRM build.

I never mounted the chassis onto the Sendero, so can't speak to its function but those whom have used them report a reduction in group size. MDT does sell spacer kit for increased LOP(up to 1") and chassis does have an adjustable cheek riser. The pistol grip angle is not the best for shooting from bench/ground so you may opt to replace that with the MDT straight grip. I'd spend the $10 to get the adjustment knobs for the riser too.

SD

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I picked one up for a Howa Mini. It’s a good improvement over the factory stock. I can’t compare to the BnC forearm-have heard similar complaints though- and think the Oryx is probably more slim. I attached an MDT Arca rail and shoot it off a tripod mostly so not much of a concern to me. The grip is similar to an AR style grip. Maybe can switch out or customize but need to confirm. Fits me and my normal grip just fine. It has lop and cheek adjustments which are nice because technically this is my kids rifle that daddy enjoys quite a bit as a truck gun. Are you looking for a bench setup or carry hunting rifle? Maybe better options if latter.

Thanks for the info! This will be put on my heavy barrel 204 ruger and will only sit on a bench for pdog hunting. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. I found one on optics planet for $389. For it and the MDT mag it was $429 shipped. Shows it should be here Friday.

Have you found a specific mag that works better than others? A buddy of mine has to use the metal mags so he can grind the feed lips with his ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator 204 in a MDT LSS. If I remember correctly that is only because it is the Hawkeye Predator model and MDT said there is a slight difference in it and the regular 77.

Thanks again for the info!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by SD65

For $399 they are a very rigid hunk of aluminum, (+ 4lbs),that that provides a solid foundation for good accuracy. I purchased one last year to use on my Sendero but decided to keep the original HS precision stock on the rifle as I plan on selling it. I sold the Oryx to fellow member Muddinmetal here on the Campfire so maybe he can weigh in on how the chassis worked out for him. I believe that he plans to use it on an LRM build.

I never mounted the chassis onto the Sendero, so can't speak to its function but those whom have used them report a reduction in group size. MDT does sell spacer kit for increased LOP(up to 1") and chassis does have an adjustable cheek riser. The pistol grip angle is not the best for shooting from bench/ground so you may opt to replace that with the MDT straight grip. I'd spend the $10 to get the adjustment knobs for the riser too.

SD

Thanks for the info SD! Do you know off hand if the knobs are only available from MDT?

One thing I did go ahead and do was ordered a bag rider for the chassis. After reading some reviews on the chassis, the small bag placement area was one of the common complaints.

Thanks again!

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I still use the OEM Howa Mini mag which is a notoriously poor design due to ease of falling out. I have found it is much more rigid and less likely to knock out in the Oryx vs the factory stock/bottom metal. I also added the adjustable knobs for cheek piece. Nice to have but do loosen up too easily. I think you’ll like it for your purpose. Let us know once you get it up and running.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by shelton573
Do you know off hand if the knobs are only available from MDT?

One thing I did go ahead and do was ordered a bag rider for the chassis. After reading some reviews on the chassis, the small bag placement area was one of the common complaints.

Thanks again!

The cheap MDT knobs I believe are only offered through MDT. If I had kept the chassis, I would have ordered something from this company, they have a variety of knurled knobs.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/c/metalworking-tools/tooling-components/knobs-handles

As for the bag rider, I wouldn't have needed it with the added spacer kit as it added another inch to butt end.

SD

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I still use the OEM Howa Mini mag which is a notoriously poor design due to ease of falling out. I have found it is much more rigid and less likely to knock out in the Oryx vs the factory stock/bottom metal. I also added the adjustable knobs for cheek piece. Nice to have but do loosen up too easily. I think you’ll like it for your purpose. Let us know once you get it up and running.

Tracking number says it should be here Friday so I will keep you all posted. I like the idea of the knobs like you and SD talked about but sir my application it SHOULD be a set it and forget it situation.

I’ll keep you all posted!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.