Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Yeah, I fish between Florida and Mississippi. grin My go to for the species you mentioned is a small treble hook, 8-10# mono with live shrimp, finger mullet or croaker, in that order. No corks, swivels, weights, leaders, kitchen sinks, etc. It's a no go in Fla. with the treble and live bait though.

You do much off of Dauphin Island.?

What you’re doing is working well.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I remember the one time I was using a croaker for specks in about 6 foot of water, using 8 pound test and watched a 25 pound cobia come in and take it.

The cobia won

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Chartreuse plastics. Not my favorite, but most consistently productive around here by far. Move 50 miles east or west along the coast and things change.

How about the Vodoo Shrimp, Lt.?
Have you used that with any success?

With the Bull Reds I’ve had fair luck with breaking a crab in half and fishing that under a popping cork and using a gold spoon with a trailer of different plastics.

What is your favorite beyond the chartreuse plastics?

Voodoo under a popping cork is killer and easy to fish.its especially effective over oyster beds where it's too shallow to fish other weighted plastic's. We caught a dozen nice dolphin on that combo last Sat. My favorite lure is Rapala Skitter-V, pink/silver.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I fish between Florida and Mississippi. grin My go to for the species you mentioned is a small treble hook, 8-10# mono with live shrimp, finger mullet or croaker, in that order. No corks, swivels, weights, leaders, kitchen sinks, etc. It's a no go in Fla. with the treble and live bait though.

We've just about got it covered then. I fish from Mississippi to Mexico. It's hot now, so other than redfish, most of our efforts are at jetties and near-shore for trout, tripletail and tarpon. My boat is too small for long range offshore trips, so I gotta hitch a ride with the rich folk. The continental shelf is 100 miles out of Sabine at the Flower Garden Banks. (The world's north most coral reef.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

We've just about hot it covered then. I fish from Mississippi to Mexico. It's hot now, so other than redfish, most of our efforts are at jetties and near-shore for trout, tripletail and tarpon. My boat is too small for long range offshore trips, so I gotta hitch a ride with the rich folk. The continental shelf is 100 miles out of Sabine at the Flower Garden Banks. (The world's north most coral reef.)

Lt., if you didn’t know it, Lake Ponchartrain is a Tarpon Mecca of sorts and is generally overlooked in favor of the area west of Southwest Pass of the Mississippi River.

The Lake has had several come out of there over 200#s.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Chartreuse plastics. Not my favorite, but most consistently productive around here by far. Move 50 miles east or west along the coast and things change.

How about the Vodoo Shrimp, Lt.?
Have you used that with any success?

With the Bull Reds I’ve had fair luck with breaking a crab in half and fishing that under a popping cork and using a gold spoon with a trailer of different plastics.

What is your favorite beyond the chartreuse plastics?

Voodoo under a popping cork is killer and easy to fish.its especially effective over oyster beds where it's too shallow to fish other weighted plastic's. We caught a dozen nice dolphin on that combo last Sat. My favorite lure is Rapala Skitter-V, pink/silver.

I’m writing down that Rapala info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

We've just about hot it covered then. I fish from Mississippi to Mexico. It's hot now, so other than redfish, most of our efforts are at jetties and near-shore for trout, tripletail and tarpon. My boat is too small for long range offshore trips, so I gotta hitch a ride with the rich folk. The continental shelf is 100 miles out of Sabine at the Flower Garden Banks. (The world's north most coral reef.)

Lt., if you didn’t know it, Lake Ponchartrain is a Tarpon Mecca of sorts and is generally overlooked in favor of the area west of Southwest Pass of the Mississippi River.

we catch big tarpon here off bob hall pier I've caught two over two hundred.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Y’all catch and release, Roger?

Man that had to be a helluva fight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

yes catch and release only, they have a tag now you can purchase for one 80 inches or greater in length. my biggest was 77. My brother caught one off there that would have probably gone 8ft.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

yes catch and release only, they have a tag now you can purchase for one 80 inches or greater in length. my biggest was 77. My brother caught one off there that would have probably gone 8ft.

Out of interest, what baits were y’all using for the Tarpon?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fried trout and cheese grits is one of my all time favorite meals

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Fried trout and cheese grits is one of my all time favorite meals

Sumbitch, I reckon.

Don’t know if you like it but next time you do grits for any reason or occasion:

Use chicken stock instead of water.
Boil it slowly for about 5 minutes with a tablespoon of garlic powder added to it.
Add your grits and simmer till done.
When done add a heaping handful of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and stir it in.

It don’t suck too bad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tarpon will eat almost anything when they're feeding. The challenge with tarpon is locating them, hooking them (that's a story of its own) and having the equipment to handle them.
People love to catch tarpon in shallow water, 20' or less, because they jump themselves to death. The REALLY big tarpon are migratory and ain't gonna fall for that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Boca Grande, lots of big tarpon caught deep'ish.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Tarpon will eat almost anything when they're feeding. The challenge with tarpon is locating them, hooking them (that's a story of its own) and having the equipment to handle them.
People love to catch tarpon in shallow water, 20' or less, because they jump themselves to death. The REALLY big tarpon are migratory and ain't gonna fall for that.

Lt. I’m thinking in your business you may have heard of or possibly met Poppa Joe Chouest. Tarpon is one of his major passions. Wherever they are, he is.

ETA:
I believe his favorite artificial for Tarpon is Coon Pops.

Last edited by Old_Toot; 08/18/21.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
on the no. east corner on FLA a 8 to 10 in. ladyfish is my go to for gator trout for the last 40 years . 9 # 7oz 32in my best

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup. One of the fascinating and challenging things about inshore saltwater fishing is the fact that the fish are always looking for a particular salinity, or more accurately, a salt/fresh combination. Places like Florida and South Texas are easy to fish for tarpon and snook because fresh water is harder to find, concentrated in the passes and channels. The big tarpon (200lb plus) are migratory and circle the entire Gulf every year. It's not unusual to encounter schools of thousands of them offshore in 40' of water and it's even less unusual to look for them for weeks without finding a fish.
One thing is for certain. You better be prepared in a lot of ways to land a really big tarpon in deep water.

I wish was better at it, but I'm trying.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Lt. I’m thinking in your business you may have heard of or possibly met Poppa Joe Chouest. Tarpon is one of his major passions. Wherever they are, he is.

ETA:
I believe his favorite artificial for Tarpon is Coon Pops.

Named after Capt. Coon. I'm no tarpon expert. I'm the marsh guy. I am I obsessed with them though. I wish I could post some of my videos of thousands of them feeding, but the video thingee says the files are too big.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 44mc
on the no. east corner on FLA a 8 to 10 in. ladyfish is my go to for gator trout for the last 40 years . 9 # 7oz 32in my best

That's awesome. Big fish like big baits. I had one eat a pinfish bigger than my hand, about the same time I realized I forgot the net. I've never had a fish mounted, but that would've been the one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mullet and menhaden (pogie, bunker, etc.) here. I think they use mullet and pilchards down south. What do you call 'em Roger, shytshad?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, 1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.