Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
My uncle was retired Army and finished his career there as an instructor on the Dragon missile. We would go down every summer and see them and my aunt would drag me all over Ft. Benning.
Later, I went for basic, AIT and Airborne school and then my oldest son went there for basic, AIT and Airborne School.
When I left Sand Hill I never dreamed that some day I would be returning for my son’s graduation.
No matter what they call it, it will always be Ft. Benning to me.

Same here. I went through DTC in 1981. Was your uncle with the cadre? A friend of mine from IOBC was the OIC then. Last name was Epps.

Last edited by EIB0879; 08/21/21.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by EIB0879
My uncle was retired Army and finished his career there as an instructor on the Dragon missile. We would go down every summer and see them and my aunt would drag me all over Ft. Benning.
Later, I went for basic, AIT and Airborne school and then my oldest son went there for basic, AIT and Airborne School.
When I left Sand Hill I never dreamed that some day I would be returning for my son’s graduation.

Same here. I went through DTC in 1981. Was your uncle with the cadre? A friend of mine from IOBC was the OIC then. Last name was Epps.

Yes, cadre, or that was my understanding per my aunt .He retired in 1979. SSG Dennis Trowbridge, not much over five feet tall……...passed away in 1997.
Three tours RVN.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 08/21/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by EIB0879

Yes, cadre, or that was my understanding per my aunt .He retired in 1979. SSG Dennis Trowbridge, not much over five feet tall……...passed away in 1997.
Three tours RVN.

He might have been there when we went to shoot the LET during IOBC.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
EIB,
He may have been working on some other range in 79. Hard to say.
Those guys would stay at Ft. Benning for years. They would get assigned as a Drill sergeant and after they fulfilled their time on the trail they would get a job on a range or somewhere else.
When I was there in 91, almost all of the range cadre had a drill sergeant patch on their BDU’s. The right breast pocket as I recall.
Not all, but a lot of them did.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 08/21/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Maybe we should rename the Alamo too.

Technically it was Mission San Antonio de Valero, the term “Alamo” (cottonwood) came into common usage after a rapid-response frontier defense outfit from deeper in Mexico was stationed there in that old mission for 32 years before the siege.

The members of the Segunda Compania de San Carlos de Parras were mostly from the Mexican town of San Jose y Santiago de Alamo de Parras so the outfit was simply referred to as Alamo de Parras for short.

Long association with the derelict mission cause it to to be referred to in common usage as “El Alamo”.

http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/adp/history/hispanic_period/pframe.html

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Technically it was Mission San Antonio de Valero, the term “Alamo” (cottonwood) came into common usage after a rapid-response frontier defense outfit from deeper in Mexico was stationed there in that old mission for 32 years before the siege.

The members of the Segunda Compania de San Carlos de Parras were mostly from the Mexican town of San Jose y Santiago de Alamo de Parras so the outfit was simply referred to as Alamo de Parras for short.

Long association with the derelict mission cause it to to be referred to in common usage as “El Alamo”.

So, it's already been renamed once, but by Mexicans.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Need to change Washington DC to Hiden Biden fist.

FTFY

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wouldn't be surprised if Bagram Air Base gets changed to BIDEN Air Base.....

He gave it to 'em.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Appropriate name. It’s amazing that the military buildup to get equipment to the war zone is done with precision and organization. They leave all the used stuff so they can buy new.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

So, it's already been renamed once, but by Mexicans.

Hadn’t thought of that.

The year before they posted Alamo de Parras there a major Comanche raid stole 300 horses, virtually every horse owned by the five missions and during that period ran off with about 200 women and kids.

Ya don’t hear much of that after the arrival of that Flying Company, light cavalry, so they may have been pretty good.

By the time of the Alamo, hundreds of two-wheeled Mexican ox-carts out of San Antonio were crossing the plains, and would remain a major form of freight conveyance up until the coming of the railroad in the 1870’s. Each ox cart with an attendant family, hauling up to around 500lbs an average of seven miles a day.

Maybe 300 Tejano households in San Antonio all wanted a buffalo in the fall. The long horned African cattle brung in by the Spanish carried at least two diseases lethal to buffalo such that by the 1830’s you had to go 100 miles north and west of town to find buffalo. They did this every year, with those same seven mile/day carretas. Heck they even brung in blocks of New England ice packed in sawdust from the coast, took them two weeks one way from Corpus Christi Bay.

So clearly things had changed w/respect to the Indios by the time of the Alamo.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.